Salary: $65,000.00 to $75,000.00 /year
Excalibur Crossbow is seeking qualified candidates for the role of Manufacturing Engineer. In this role you will be responsible for coordinating the introduction and scale-up of new products being introduced into the plant, and the continuous improvement of manufacturing processes for our current products.
Located in Kitchener near the intersection of Bingemans Centre Drive and Victoria Street, we produce a superior product for a demanding market. Our crossbows are highly regarded in the industry and are supported by over 30 years of experience and an extensive warranty. All new team members need to share our commitment to quality.
The Manufacturing Engineer is part of our technical team; reporting to our Director of Operations and working closely with our Product Development team, our Machining Manager, and our Production Manager.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the Design Engineer and Product Development team as needed
- Analyse new product design and current products, and make suggestions for improvement
- Assist in product testing, including testing for load, pressure, fatigue, and deflection
- Assist in sourcing materials and equipment
- Work with external vendors on tool design and complete first article inspections
- Assist with the design of machining fixtures, cutting tools and gauges at the project concept stage
- Assist in costing of materials and labour
- Support the launch of new products
- Develop manufacture and assembly processes for the introduction of new products
- Set up new work stations and / or assembly lines as required, working directly with affected managers and employees to communicate changes and exchange ideas
- Establish work procedures and PPE requirements
- Establish quality specifications; set up and maintain controls and documentation procedures
- Study existing manufacturing and machining processes, perform time studies, and recommend changes to improve safety, quality, efficiency, and / or cost savings
- Maintain and improve the quality inspection and product release program for in-process materials and components, processes and finished goods.
- Maintain, and where necessary develop, associated SOPs
- Ensure that SOPs are understood and consistently followed
- Develop and lead lean manufacturing initiatives such as 5S, Kaizen, and process mapping
- Support the company’s Health and Safety Program
- Perform pre start safety inspections, using outside contractors as necessary
- Assist in development of modified work plans
Qualifications and Skills
- Mechanical engineering degree or diploma
- 3 to 5 years of engineering experience in a manufacturing environment
- Familiar with operation of vertical and horizontal CNC Milling machines
- knowledge of machining principals
- familiar with GD&T
- Strong computer skills
- Microsoft Office required (Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Solidworks and CNC programming experience preferred
- BOM / Routing experience an asset
- Excellent communication skills required, including the following
- Ability to engage in the exchange of informed opinions and participate fully in meetings with peers and technical resources
- Oral presentations to peers and managers providing technical analysis, conclusions and proposals
- Detailed explanation and instruction to Operations management and technical teams, and to employee work cells when introducing new technical or process changes
- Documentation of work instructions and processes
- Report writing (Excel and Word)
- Proven ability to analyse problems, propose solutions, and implement the approved course of action
- Ability to travel to the US (occasional travel to our facility in the US)
Company paid benefits are provided after completion of a 3 month eligibility period, together with eligibility for participation in our retirement savings program.
Excalibur is committed to complying with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and its regulations, and the Ontario Human Rights Code, throughout the entire employment cycle. If you require accommodation at any stage in the recruitment process, please let us know.