MOUNTING AND LASER SIGHTING A NEW SCOPE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

MOUNTING AND LASER SIGHTING A NEW SCOPE

Postby GREYWOLF » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:09 pm

:D I know some of the newer members have had some questions on how to mount and sight in there new scope's. [b]1st when mounting the rail to the bow use blue loctite on the 4 screws this prevents them from getting loose from vibration.
2nd the new LUMI-ZONE being a 40 mm scope compared to the VARI-ZONE which is 32mm , means that useing strandard low mount rings , the scope hits the rail mount so a small spacer placed on the ring mount under the scope raises the scope up just enough to clear the rail ( I used a piece of zip tie). It is either grind down the rail or use a spacer, [/b]

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/scopemounting005.jpg[/img]
[/img][IMG]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/scopemounting007.jpg[/img]
Next a good rifle rest which has a level on it and some way of holding the xbow to it is very helpfull for the next several steps, take a sheet of white paper and put a square cross on it 1/8" thick lines are fine, useing a level tape this piece of paper to a wall about 12' away in your line of sight of the xbow[/
img]Image
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/scopemounting011.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
Next useing a small lazer pointer placed in the rail and under the string , adjust the rifle rest and xbow so that the red dot of the laser is on the cross of your paper target. keeping a small level on the riser mount keeps the xbows limbs level.

Next your scope should be mounted loosely to the rings , useing the windage adjusting screws on the MILLETT rings, adjust them so the vertical part of the cross hairs is in line with your targets vertical line .
make sure the lazer's red doot stays in the center of the target while you do any adjustments.
Once this step is complete, use your scopes elivation adjusting screws to bring the horizontal crosshair onto the targets horizontal line . Keep an eye on the lazers dot makeing sure it stays on the targets center.
[
img]Image
[/img]Image

You now are lazer sighted in and will be able to start shooting to fine tune your scope without worry of sending a bolt into the next county. I hope this info. helps some of you guys out GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
GREYWOLF

Postby the elf » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:32 pm

That sure looks like it makes it a lot easier to do.--------but where do I find a cheap laser pointer?
the elf

Postby GREYWOLF » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:35 pm

1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
GREYWOLF

Postby the elf » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:05 pm

Thank you ---------I didn`t think they were that cheap.
the elf

Postby Exocet77 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:33 pm

I get my laser pointers for $1 @ the dollar store. Bought 5 of em last week. Make great cat toys :)
Exocet77

Postby huntin1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:40 pm

How do you get good contact between the ring and the scope tube with the zip tie in there? Wouldn't it be a better idea to go with a higher ring, maybe a medium?

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
huntin1

Postby GREYWOLF » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:51 pm

I have found not , you have to make to much adjustment to the scopes down elivation, once tight the rings dont move , we use this procedure on rifles also at the shop. GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
GREYWOLF

Postby huntin1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:55 pm

Aaahh, OK makes sense.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
huntin1

big problem with mounting scope broke 3 bolts

Postby wolfbuddy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:06 pm

GREYWOLF wrote::D I know some of the newer members have had some questions on how to mount and sight in there new scope's. [b]1st when mounting the rail to the bow use blue loctite on the 4 screws this prevents them from getting loose from vibration.
2nd the new LUMI-ZONE being a 40 mm scope compared to the VARI-ZONE which is 32mm , means that useing strandard low mount rings , the scope hits the rail mount so a small spacer placed on the ring mount under the scope raises the scope up just enough to clear the rail ( I used a piece of zip tie). It is either grind down the rail or use a spacer, [/b]

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/scopemounting005.jpg[/img]
[/img][IMG]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/scopemounting007.jpg[/img]
Next a good rifle rest which has a level on it and some way of holding the xbow to it is very helpfull for the next several steps, take a sheet of white paper and put a square cross on it 1/8" thick lines are fine, useing a level tape this piece of paper to a wall about 12' away in your line of sight of the xbow[/
img]Image
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/scopemounting011.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
Next useing a small lazer pointer placed in the rail and under the string , adjust the rifle rest and xbow so that the red dot of the laser is on the cross of your paper target. keeping a small level on the riser mount keeps the xbows limbs level.

Next your scope should be mounted loosely to the rings , useing the windage adjusting screws on the MILLETT rings, adjust them so the vertical part of the cross hairs is in line with your targets vertical line .
make sure the lazer's red doot stays in the center of the target while you do any adjustments.
Once this step is complete, use your scopes elivation adjusting screws to bring the horizontal crosshair onto the targets horizontal line . Keep an eye on the lazers dot makeing sure it stays on the targets center.
[
img]Image
[/img]Image

You now are lazer sighted in and will be able to start shooting to fine tune your scope without worry of sending a bolt into the next county. I hope this info. helps some of you guys out GREYWOLF

I followed the package directions for mounting the VARI ZONE in the box. Laser leveled the scope. Did the laser leveling as above. I have broken 3 gold tip bolts onthe top of my the block target. HELP
wolfbuddy

Postby wolfbuddy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:44 pm

i messed around some more and now i believe that the elevation adjustment does not work
wolfbuddy

Return to Crossbow Hunting