What's the worst hunting head?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

What's the worst hunting head?

Postby bstout » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:59 am

Right off the bat I'm going to confess I "borrowed" this question from the current issue of the Horizontal Bowhunter Magazine.

The idea is to get independent reviews from individuals instead of *Jump on the Band Wagon* type replies that might come from the question...what is the best hunting head.

I went through a phase in the 1980's searching for the ultimate hunting head which to this day I still firmly believe does not exist. There are many, many very good hunting heads but no single head that's supreme in my opinion.

I spent a lot of time and money trying to disprove the above statement. When ever a new hunting head showed up at the sporting goods store I'd have to buy a pack and try them. My archery tackle box was overflowing with hunting heads I so badly wanted to like best but ended up staying with the heads I'd been shooting for so many years previously.

Some heads are what I call "plug & play". You screw them onto the shaft and they do relatively well without having to jock around with the rest of the arrow (arrow balance, arrow spine, inserts & fletching) in order to get them to repeat.

A hunting arrow needs to repeat each time it's shot. Then (step 2) to get a group of hunting arrows to all shoot exactly the same so it matters not which one you pull from your quiver when the heat is on.

Large hunting heads require large fletchings to steer them. They also sometimes require a slight front insert adjustment. The smaller hunting heads that fly like field tips (that remark always cracks me up) technically are field tips with blades attached and don't require much steering (small fletching).

Over the years I have only been able to find a single hunting head (only one) that wouldn't and couldn't be made to fly well. That was in the very early 1990's and it was sold by Hoyt. I'm not sure who manufactured it for them but it bombed royally and every good archer knew it. Still many of us owned a pack in order to find out first hand.

It was like throwing down the gauntlet when someone would say a given hunting head didn't fly well. Most of us would step up to the plate and most of the time it was one guy out of many having the problem. Everyone else could learn how to make that head fly well.

My point here is that if a person has enough tenacity and sticks to what they're trying to accomplish it can be done. In my opinion 99% plus hunting heads available are perfectly fine. Some take a little more tact to use than others is all.

What do you consider to be the worst hunting head you've ever tried?
bstout

Re: What's the worst hunting head?

Postby Pydpiper » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:16 am

Rocket Hammerhead stands out in my mind, the only mechanical I have used. They have a habit of exiting the deer with no blades left on them.
A close second is the Crimson Talon hyper speeds.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Exocet 200
NGSS
Groundpounder mount
Boo string
Lumi-zone
Pydpiper

Postby sumner4991 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:41 am

Bob . . .I can without a doubt say the Wasp Boss 3 blade is the worst broadhead I have ever used. There were several things going against the broadhead, so, it may not be as bad as I have labelled it. First of all, they came with the Excalibur Right Stuff package along with my first crossbow, the Exomax. I had been out of archery for a few years and had NEVER shot a crossbow. I was actually scared to shoot the Exomax and had a friend of mine to take the first shot. Funny, right?

Anyway, on to the broadhead. I got pretty good at driving the target tips consistantly into each other in short time. So, I decided it was OK to prepare for the up coming season. The first shot I took with the Wasp Boss hit the target, but, it was a couple of inches off from the field tip. I was only shooting the one broadhead. My second shot almost missed the Block Target altogether. The third shot was way off too and nowhere close to the other two shots. I couldn't see anything wrong with the broadhead, but, it was all over the place. I replaced the blades and shot. I almost hit the hole of the first shot. Anyway, to make a very long story, long . . .after much shooting, I learned . . .the blades could bend slightly when shooting them into the Block Target and the bend could be slight enough not to be see untill the wind hit it. Then it was up to 8 inches off target.

This is why I believe the worst broadheads are the small fixed blade broadheads with thin blades. Not to limit this issue to just the Wasp Boss. I also had a couple of long tracking jobs with the Wasp Boss on solid hits. I accredit this issue to the small cut, 3 blades. I had similiar tracking experience with a small cut mechanical. After that I went big. Size does matter.

David, I had the same experience once with the Hammerheads. The only reason I didn't think it was an issue, the deer dropped in 20 yards. Trophy Ridge has claimed to have fixed that problem. Since then I have taken a few deer with the Stricknines and one with the Hammerhead and the "revised" heads worked perfectly.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Postby rt2bowhunter » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:57 am

Was the hoyt head the chuckit (spelling). It gets my vote for the worst head.
Im with you on you can get most if not all heads to shoot good. If your close to the right spine and put big feathers on it will fly. I look more at what the head does after it hits.One other newer head i had trouble with. Was the grizztrick. It took high back 4" shields to get it to fly.
rt2bowhunter

Postby vixenmaster » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:11 am

Worst i ever played with were those sonic things, terrible blades & its junk fer me! 2nd was the 2Blade meat seeker they sent me to try out instead of the Sidewinder. It flys well good accuracy but anything other than an almost true broadside shot it skids won't penetrate! :x
Miss Vixen, Terror of all Tick Toters! 304 fps
Dark Lady E'cet 165 298 fps
Banshee 322 fps
Marie Laveau 2nd Matrix 355
vixenmasters strings
Spitfire BH's
vixenmaster

Postby Big John » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:30 am

Bob: I'm going to have to get back to you on this one. :wink:
I've tried a vast amount. Some flopped some were good. But the worst, I'm going to go back and re-think. :)
Meat Hunter, Forest Groceries Rule!
Bear Stalker
Lumenoks

Custom Arrowmaker
rem.exc.shooter@hotmail.com
Big John

Postby maxman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:16 am

Although new to Xbows I have hunted with a vertical bow for 38 years. The ones that stick out in my mind are the Punchcutter mechanical and Satilites. If the punchcutter opened at all there were no blades left when it exited. The Satilite blades were held on by a collar at the base of the broadhead and fell out fairly consistantly on impact.
maxman

Postby dutchhunter » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:24 am

i have hunted with the punchcutter for 20 years and still have a lot of them the 90grain head .we shot them out of horton crossbows and never ever had a problem with them .i have 7 buddys that to this day still swear by them as do i .thy have to open when thy hit and thy do leave a great exit hole .the closes thing to them now is the rage and i love them to DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
dutchhunter

Postby Sliver » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:12 pm

oooopppsss :oops:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Sliver

Postby maxman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Whatcha gonna do :?
maxman

Postby Adrian J Hare » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:00 pm

Grim Reaper the best I've used, not high on Muzzy
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Adrian J Hare

Postby xbhntr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:01 pm

When I bought my exocet , the wasp cam-locs 3 blade came with the package. After reviewing my kills , hits and misses, I decided that they didn't do the killing job ! Next year I'll be using Rage 3 blade mechanical heads. I've seen the pros on T.V. hit deer high in the back , gut shots and near the rear leg hits. It's 1 1/2 hole seems the key to them bleeding out . The most important fact is to penetrate the vitals but sometime unexpected deer reactions occur ! ! Ray.
xbhntr

Postby crazyfarmer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:43 am

spitfires.. couldnt group.. no pratice head and blades are a PITA to change
had a nice concept though which gave way to other bheads like rage and etc though
crazyfarmer

Postby Boo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:08 am

The Rage! LOL! Just pulling your leg CF.
The worst was the Wasp Sharpshooter. A cut on contact 4 blade broadhead with a mind of it's own!
If there are no dogs in heaven then I want to go where they went.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
http://boocustomstrings.com/
Agingcrossbower's Custom Stock
Leave a footprint not a stain when you leave this earth
The sky is falling!
Boo

Postby hikerman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:59 pm

The worst hunting head, I didn't use it but my buddy did.
Easton, the exact name I don't know walmart or Canadian tire sold them.
Fixed head with three blade insert. It is not cut on contact the tip is a cone shape and about as shart as a blunt feild point. He shoot a deer and we were not sure if the bolt hit a tree afterwards but all three blades were broken.
( the shaft was also bent, no eye could mistack that). Didn't find any in the meat though.
I tried to convince him not to use those, (you get what you pay for). Sometimes
they just need to figure it our on they're own.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
hikerman

Next

Return to Crossbow Hunting