what's the difference between crossbows?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

what's the difference between crossbows?

Postby chack182 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Posted this on another site but did not get any feedback on the subject.
Can someone tell me what is the difference between the axiom and the phoenix. Also is the stock the only thing difference between the phoenix and the ibex? I will be getting a crossbow soon for deer hunting and I not sure which one to get.
I did read the excaibur pamphlet and the only thing I can see is mass weight Ibex 6.2 lbs. overall lenght 36.4", Phoenix 6.3 lbs., overall lenght 37.5" and Axiom 6.0 lbs. and overall lenght 37.5" everything else is the same. But the price is very difference so they have to have something? Thanks for any info.
chack182

Re: what's the difference between crossbows?

Postby Tired Rooster » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:40 pm

The Axiom is basically just a Phoenix minus the dissipator bars/pads. Also comes as a package only but with a different scope than the Varizone. Mechanically it is a Phoenix that is packaged in such a way that the cost is kept down. Nothing at all is inferior in quality or function. The Ibex and the Phoenix are the exact same except for the stock style. The Ibex is thumbhole. The Phoenix is traditional. It all just comes down to personal choice in stock styles with these two. Which ever model you choose you will have the best crossbow out there. All the Excaliburs are excellent up and down the line. Can't go wrong! Good luck.
DEO VINDICE
Tired Rooster

Postby wheelie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:53 am

Tired Rooster wrote:The Axiom is basically just a Phoenix minus the dissipator bars/pads. Also comes as a package only but with a different scope than the Varizone. Mechanically it is a Phoenix that is packaged in such a way that the cost is kept down. Nothing at all is inferior in quality or function. The Ibex and the Phoenix are the exact same except for the stock style. The Ibex is thumbhole. The Phoenix is traditional. It all just comes down to personal choice in stock styles with these two. Which ever model you choose you will have the best crossbow out there. All the Excaliburs are excellent up and down the line. Can't go wrong! Good luck.

X2 - Likey not get much more feedback because not more can be said than Tired Rooster explained so elegantly.
wheelie

Postby chack182 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:37 am

Thanks for the info. I think it may be the Ibex, I like the stock but I will try to find a place close to home that sells them so I can shot each.
chack182

Postby vixenmaster » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:14 am

The Axiom comes in 2 models now one with a composite rail. The only other diff between the T-hole & regular stock is the trigger on T-hole has abit more angle to it cause of the stock
Kong Strong Fast n Deadly 405

Marie Laveau Matrix 355, 361 fps

Banshee Mission MXB320 329 fps

vixenmasters strings
Spitfire BH's & others
vixenmaster

Postby bstout » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:28 am

I'd be careful about getting caught up with first impressions as you try each style of stock. The first dozen or so times I shot the thumbhole stock I hated it. I mean I really didn't like it at all and I was sorry I had purchased it.

I was all set to peddle it when I thought I better give it one more try. Each time I shot it I started liking it a little better. Soon I had done a complete 180 and began liking the thumbhole stock. So much that I set aside my standard model and began shooting the T-hole stock exclusively, well almost exclusively.

I now target shoot off sand bags with the standard stock model. I found that with a rest I did well with a standard stock but I didn't shoot off hand as well with it as I did using the thumbhole version. I discovered if I didn't have anything to lean on, I was much better off with the thumbhole.

If I had gone into a store and tried each one (standard stock and thumbhole) I would have never in a million years purchased a thumhole stock.

Of the seven Excalibur crossbows I own, two have standard stocks. The rest have thumbhole stocks.
bstout

Return to Crossbow Hunting