stupid northern deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Post Reply
longbow joe
Posts: 1814
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:55 pm
Location: south eastern pa (bucks county)

stupid northern deer

Post by longbow joe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:42 pm

I was vacationing in murtle beach this week n went in bass pro picked up a local sportsmans news there. Some schmuck writer was goin off about how he hunts a minimum of 26 feet because the southern deer were so smart n how people go up north n just come back with these trophy deer because there so easy to kill. He also basted us about cwd n we brought it on ourselves. Basically was sayin my once in a lifetime 13 point that took me 35 years to kill from my 15 foot ladder stand was just an easy task and uneventfull. Id like to put that little candy a.... high treestand a...hole in a january after gun season p.a or n.j treestand n see if he freezes his a..s off on our easy deer sorry had to vent. Not tryin to start trouble this guy is not a sportsman
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 workhorse nikon bolt /vixen ll / striker offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/ trigger tec's on most / spitfires/easton2216s/zombies

User avatar
georgiaboy
Posts: 2711
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: S.E. Georgia
Contact:

Re: stupid northern deer

Post by georgiaboy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:17 pm

Don't sweat it...the guy's an idiot. :shock:
I don't know where he's hunting but here in south georgia if you climb 26ft up a tree all your going to see most the time is limbs!! :lol:
I let where i'm hunting dictate how high i climb. If i'm hunting the edge of a pine hill or some type of funnel i will go high, around 20ft. But if i'm in the swamps or thicket's i may not be higher than 15-17ft.
There's no "standard height"...let the terrain dictate that. :wink:
Just my two cents. :mrgreen:
Matrix 350LE ( Vader )
Vixen II ( Thumper )
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"

paulaboutform
Posts: 4401
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia

Re: stupid northern deer

Post by paulaboutform » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:01 am

Just remember, "Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever!" Those blanket statements make me laugh. That writer should stay behind his desk with a pen in hand, he can write about what a pro hunter he is much easier from there. That's right on par with people claiming there's no challenge rifle hunting anymore, that's why they're using archery equipment. I've heard it time and again. Maybe I live in the wrong part of the world being in British Columbia, Canada. I feel your frustration at the uneducated comments. :? :wink:

Paul

bubba
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:39 pm
Location: West Central Fl

Re: stupid northern deer

Post by bubba » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Hey Paul i can understand you being Pissed off, There is plenty of idiots like this every where. And i look to you for a number of things that i feel you are a true expert in. Arrows for instance . And sure there is a great challenge in shooting a deer or ground hog out to 3 or 4 hundred yards. But for some one like me that has never shot a deer over 150 yards, There just was not much of a challenge in that at all. And that is the main reason i love bows and crossbows, i feel i am fairly well educated in most things hunting.. And have said it many a time that archery hunting is my favorite way to hunt big game.. The Challenge.. So that statement you made i don't agree with. My two nickles...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)

paulaboutform
Posts: 4401
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia

Re: stupid northern deer

Post by paulaboutform » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:04 pm

bubba wrote:Hey Paul i can understand you being Pissed off, There is plenty of idiots like this every where. And i look to you for a number of things that i feel you are a true expert in. Arrows for instance . And sure there is a great challenge in shooting a deer or ground hog out to 3 or 4 hundred yards. But for some one like me that has never shot a deer over 150 yards, There just was not much of a challenge in that at all. And that is the main reason i love bows and crossbows, i feel i am fairly well educated in most things hunting.. And have said it many a time that archery hunting is my favorite way to hunt big game.. The Challenge.. So that statement you made i don't agree with. My two nickles...
Jesse, you've misunderstood what I've said. Probably me being unclear. Pulling the trigger on a rifle is not the challenge, the challenge is still locating the game, setting up a successful stock, and making a clean and ethical shot. I'm not claiming to be any kinda pro or better than anyone else, I just consider myself a hunter. I prefer archery equipment because it's more fun for me but I still love to hear the cannon roar. When I hear someone say rifle hunting presents no challenge, to me I'm hearing someone saying, "I'm so good I'll kill anything I hunt anytime I leave the house." Perhaps where they hunt because that's certainly not the case where I hunt. Perhaps they're just that much better than me. An outfitter friend of mine in northernB.C, whwhich is game rich, told me his hunts for moose, cariboo, and goats run about thirty to forty percent success with rifles, less for archery. This doesn't seem like no challenge to me. Respectfully,

Paul

bubba
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:39 pm
Location: West Central Fl

Re: stupid northern deer

Post by bubba » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:00 am

Thanks Paul, I agree with all you just said, I did take it the wrong way.Hunting deer or really any thing can be a challenge, so true. But with the bow its just so much more so..Its really almost the only way i hunt deer now. In fact its been over 8 years since i've taken a deer with a fire arm. But i still love to hear the roar of a rifle, knocking a hog off there feet. And when i say i don't deer hunt with a rifle anymore, its not because it is'nt a challenge, It's just more of a challenge and exciting with a bow or crossbow. I'm no expert either, Just an old man who loves to hunt and wet a line now and then. Have a great time at Boo fest! Hope still one day to meet ya, and bunch of you northern rednecks..SMILE..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)

paulaboutform
Posts: 4401
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia

Re: stupid northern deer

Post by paulaboutform » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:23 am

bubba wrote:Thanks Paul, I agree with all you just said, I did take it the wrong way.Hunting deer or really any thing can be a challenge, so true. But with the bow its just so much more so..Its really almost the only way i hunt deer now. In fact its been over 8 years since i've taken a deer with a fire arm. But i still love to hear the roar of a rifle, knocking a hog off there feet. And when i say i don't deer hunt with a rifle anymore, its not because it is'nt a challenge, It's just more of a challenge and exciting with a bow or crossbow. I'm no expert either, Just an old man who loves to hunt and wet a line now and then. Have a great time at Boo fest! Hope still one day to meet ya, and bunch of you northern rednecks..SMILE..
Wish you were coming Jesse. Hopefully Boofest will be a regular event for me and I'll get to make your acquaintance. :D

Paul

User avatar
yooper_man
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: Marquette, MI

Re: stupid northern deer

Post by yooper_man » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:35 pm

longbow joe wrote:I was vacationing in murtle beach this week n went in bass pro picked up a local sportsmans news there. Some schmuck writer was goin off about how he hunts a minimum of 26 feet because the southern deer were so smart n how people go up north n just come back with these trophy deer because there so easy to kill. He also basted us about cwd n we brought it on ourselves. Basically was sayin my once in a lifetime 13 point that took me 35 years to kill from my 15 foot ladder stand was just an easy task and uneventfull. Id like to put that little candy a.... high treestand a...hole in a january after gun season p.a or n.j treestand n see if he freezes his a..s off on our easy deer sorry had to vent. Not tryin to start trouble this guy is not a sportsman
I laugh at these (expert writer) people also. Someone once said all deer look up into trees, because they all know hunters can be found in trees. I told him the reason he is noticing the deer looking up at him is because he is moving or doing something unnatural which is alerting the deer to his position, so the deer look up at him. He of course didn't agree, oh well it was a good laugh.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 56 guests