Dead Ringer Kill Switch?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rather-B-Huntin

Dead Ringer Kill Switch?

Post by Rather-B-Huntin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm considering the Dead Ringer Kill Switch broadheads in my Micro 335 for our upcoming turkey season. After watching multiple online reviews I'm a little skeptical. Several reports of opening on launch/during flight.

Anyone have any direct experience and can give some pros/cons?
THE HUNTER'S ZONE
Best Deals on Excalibur Crossbows and Accessories in the Eastern USA!!! Check us out on Facebook!

longbow joe

Re: Dead Ringer Kill Switch?

Post by longbow joe » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:16 pm

Their you tube video looks good. Never used it but ive used a spitfire maxx very large head much cheaper you can get 4 at dicks in the fall for 40 bucks and deadly on turkey. I never lost one yet even to the smaller spitfire.never had one malfuncion in 10 years on countless deer n turkey. That thing does look deadly looks like a seagull opened.Id be fun bringing the already gutted turkey home in pieces for pictures dripping all over for pictures .lol
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 workhorse nikon bolt /vixen ll / striker offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/ trigger tec's on most / spitfires/easton2216s/zombies

Rather-B-Huntin

Post by Rather-B-Huntin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:32 am

I also saw the video where the dead turkey was shot. The wound would have proven fatal, but the bent blade wasn't terribly reassuring.
I ordered some 125 gr Trauma heads instead. Several videos I watched of body shots on turkey showed significant damage and short blood trails. I prefer body shots to head shots on turkey anyway. Hopefully I'll have a positive follow up report in a couple weeks!
THE HUNTER'S ZONE
Best Deals on Excalibur Crossbows and Accessories in the Eastern USA!!! Check us out on Facebook!

TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 am

Rather-B-Huntin wrote:I prefer body shots to head shots on turkey anyway.
I too prefer body shots over head shots. Although I've never used or had experience with a broadhead designed as a decapitator, I just don't personally trust them. Back in 2002 I killed a big gobbler with my vertical bow while using a Wasp broadhead. The shot was broadside right behind the wind. It hit him, he stood up, flapped his wings twice to try and fly, and fell over backwards in the same spot that he was shot. It was a short recovery at 10-15 yards.

I'll be using my Ramcat's this year just as I would for any other game animal.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member

galamb

Post by galamb » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:14 pm

Back in December I was at a buyers trade show buying hunting product for the store I work at.

Anyhow, I stopped in at the Dead Ringer booth and ordered a good pile of their broadheads.

I also "tried" to place an order for these broadheads and the rep talked me out of them.

He said they had made them up initially at the request of one of their sponsored hunters, but after much feedback they could not recommend them. They just don't work the way they thought they would.

He suggested if I wanted heads for Turkey hunters that the Trauma's were a far better choice.

So when the "company dude" is talking me out of buying them as a turkey head for resale, I listen.

He did give me a few "samples" which I have started putting through their paces and so far I'm super impressed with the Dead Ringer line in general. At least on test targets the penetration is excellent and the durability of the heads is also great (haven't been able to toast one yet).

(and for any guys shooting traditional gear, I have been running their Stiletto broadheads - designed for low poundage bows - and have to say they will be replacing the Rage 40KE's I have been using for a number of years now. I'm not a Rage fan to start with but when you are only impacting with maybe 30 pounds of KE you don't have a great variety of mechanical's that were designed to operate in that range)
Graham

Vix II, VixenMaster flemish/S5, 20" GT Laser II's - 100 gr Dead Ringer Stiletto II's (394 grains - 22.5% F.O.C.) @272 FPS

Bow River Archery 51# Summit TD Recurve, Beman Bone Collectors - 100 gr Rage 40KE (491 grains - 14.6% FOC) @148 FPS

Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm 2-2 on deer with them. 60yd and 20yds recovery.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline

fergie

Post by fergie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:27 pm

galamb wrote:Back in December I was at a buyers trade show buying hunting product for the store I work at.

Anyhow, I stopped in at the Dead Ringer booth and ordered a good pile of their broadheads.

I also "tried" to place an order for these broadheads and the rep talked me out of them.

He said they had made them up initially at the request of one of their sponsored hunters, but after much feedback they could not recommend them. They just don't work the way they thought they would.

He suggested if I wanted heads for Turkey hunters that the Trauma's were a far better choice.

So when the "company dude" is talking me out of buying them as a turkey head for resale, I listen.

He did give me a few "samples" which I have started putting through their paces and so far I'm super impressed with the Dead Ringer line in general. At least on test targets the penetration is excellent and the durability of the heads is also great (haven't been able to toast one yet).

(and for any guys shooting traditional gear, I have been running their Stiletto broadheads - designed for low poundage bows - and have to say they will be replacing the Rage 40KE's I have been using for a number of years now. I'm not a Rage fan to start with but when you are only impacting with maybe 30 pounds of KE you don't have a great variety of mechanical's that were designed to operate in that range)
what heads are you getting in??? are you at one of the CT's in Kingston??? I might be tempted to take a drive to check some out... the store I usually get my rage heads from are no longer carying them and was looking at the dead ringer freak extreme at 2.5" and would like to look at them before ordering online or would just pick them up if I could find somewhere that had them in store. Kingston is only 1 1/2hrs away and would be nice to go up for the day anyway.
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"

galamb

Post by galamb » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Yes, one of the Kingston stores (Division/401).

I have (all 100 grain) 2 and 3 blade Rampage and 2 blade Trauma's - 2 blade/100 grain Super Freak and Freak Nasty are still on back-order.

Sorry, didn't even order any of the Freak Extreme's. Our broadhead sales are primarily to vertical shooters.
Graham

Vix II, VixenMaster flemish/S5, 20" GT Laser II's - 100 gr Dead Ringer Stiletto II's (394 grains - 22.5% F.O.C.) @272 FPS

Bow River Archery 51# Summit TD Recurve, Beman Bone Collectors - 100 gr Rage 40KE (491 grains - 14.6% FOC) @148 FPS

fergie

Post by fergie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:50 pm

galamb wrote:Yes, one of the Kingston stores (Division/401).

I have (all 100 grain) 2 and 3 blade Rampage and 2 blade Trauma's - 2 blade/100 grain Super Freak and Freak Nasty are still on back-order.

Sorry, didn't even order any of the Freak Extreme's. Our broadhead sales are primarily to vertical shooters.
I thought I saw you post on CGN that you worked at CT in Kingston. thanks for your info
I can't find anywhere that have the freak extreme's for me to look at. I guess i'll have to just order something online and hope for the best.
choices are down too
order the rage extreme 2.3" that I've been using with no problems, order some dead ringer freak extreme's 2.5" and try them out or order some new this week rage hypodermic crossbow with high energy shock collars.......
choices, choices, choices........
bye the time I make up my mind something else will catch my eye and add more to the mix.
sorry for the derailment :shock:
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john

galamb

Post by galamb » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:21 am

I am fairly impressed with their line of broadheads.

I have been trying out the Rampage and Stiletto (models) that the rep tossed me for nothing and have to say they are super durable, penetrate well.

The Freak Extreme's look to be simply marketed as a "crossbow model" that is really just a two blade model of the 3 blade Freak Nasty's (which I did see, handle/check out - but never shot - and liked them enough to buy as stock).

Like I said, I even saw a potential market for the Kill Switch which just looked "mean" (looking at a picture on line does not do the head justice, the thing seems almost the size of a boomerang when you are holding it :) ).

I still want to run a few tests to see "how many pounds to deploy", but as of now I'm thinking I will be going with the Rampage (2 blade/100 grain) on my Vix II this year for deer - they just really are impressive so far, and I'm pretty picky about my broadheads (have a whole tool box full of "tried").
Graham

fergie

Post by fergie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:36 pm

there's just so many choices it makes my head spin. I've been using rage two blades for years now without a failure but just want to try something different this year and have been reading good things about the dead ringer line.
i'll take a few more days before I make up my mind.....