Is the Mission Sub 1 giving Excal a run for its money?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

Re: Is the Mission Sub 1 giving Excal a run for its money?

Post by mikej » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:08 am

You wouldn't own a Matthews but you'll buy a mission , that's like saying I'd never buy a gmc while driving a Chevy .what's the difference ?
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective

hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:35 am

Considering that Mathews and Mission are the same company just like Bow Tech and Excalibur are and Rage and Muzzy are . If you research you will find some more companies owned or linked together . I know Muzzy and Rage are as I have ordered from Muzzy and the invoice says Rage they also own Block Targets .

sproulman

Post by sproulman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Only reason I bought excal is that it LOOKS LIKE BOW ..You can change string..good warranty but that can change I remember when Horton had good warranty too but most say excal is different and will be around in future..

I shot mission bow saturday at club ..REAL NICE but it looks like a machine to me just no feeling when i held it ..Just like me hunting a Buck I have to have it real ,tough and challenge ...Using mission space bow planet pluto coming is not me ..

heck I still use patch/ball in my flintlock,open sights I am about only one carrying one they all went to in-line taking 200 yd shots on doe ..

what is fun with that?

Same with mission bow it just does not feel like BOW.... :wink:

sproulman

Post by sproulman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:39 pm

ArcheryAddict wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:05 pm
I didn't never say that my Suppressor isn't a great bow because it is. I have owned 2 crossbows in my life and both have been Excals because of being able to work on them myself without a press and the reliability. The older bigger Excals like the Equinox I had where pretty much bullet proof. But there are a lot of broken micro limb threads on here it's not really a secret if it is it's a bad one. I did shoot and play with the Mission Sub 1 a little wensday. It is smaller, faster, quieter, easier to cock and way easier to uncock than my Suppressor is and that's a fact. The Suppressor definately has it in the weight department it's heavier than my Suppressor but it's balanced well and feels good. As far as timing issues with today's string materials and a good string builder I'm not sure they are as bad as a lot of you guys make them out to be. I haven't ever owned a compound crossbow before but I have probably owned a 100 compound bows over my 30yrs of Bowhunting and shooting 3D tournaments around the country. In the 80's and 90's I had more than my share of timing issues. I have 3 compounds now 2 15's and a 16 model and they have never come out of time once since they was new because of a good string made by a good string builder. As bad as I have always hated Mathews over the years I really hate to say it but they really hit it out of the park with this bow. The no-cam system is slow, it's hard to get speed out of it compared to other cam systems. But as far as level nock travel and accuracy goes it may be the best going today. It should be great for crossbows, you can't get enough poundage on a Vert to do anything very impressive with it. I'm not planning on my Suppressor going anywhere but I do believe I may need a Sub 1 just got to figured out which toy I don't use enough to justify keeping. I'm just glad the Sub 1 is a Mission and not a Mathews I wouldn't own a Mathews.lol

As far as breaking it useing a pull rope nothing on this bow feels cheap it's built like a tank. I have hunted for over 30yrs and pulled bows, guns and gear 25-30ft up a tree more times than I can remember and I haven't broke a thing. I really don't know how you would if you watch what you are doing. I haven't dropped a gun or a bow out of a tree either and if I do that's my bad why would I expect somebody else to fix what I broke? Why would you even ask? In 30yrs of shooting a bow year round at 3d's and hunting I have never dry fired one yet either. But if I do since it clearly states in every bow companies warrentee they don't cover dry fires I'll pay to fix it myself. Why would you even ask?

I did look at the DeathStalker too it looks great but every reverse limb crossbow I have ever handled just feels weird and akward to me.

I never remember dropping my bow from 20 ft but I did last week with my excal micro 335 ..The rope burnt my hand lowering it and I had to let go...My fault forgot my gloves ..
Took micro home ,shot it and put it in bullseye dead ,you believe that ...As you get older you do things you never did like fall asleep in my Summit climber..lol..

Boo

Post by Boo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:24 pm

sproulman wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:34 pm
Only reason I bought excal is that it LOOKS LIKE BOW ..You can change string..good warranty but that can change I remember when Horton had good warranty too but most say excal is different and will be around in future..

I shot mission bow saturday at club ..REAL NICE but it looks like a machine to me just no feeling when i held it ..Just like me hunting a Buck I have to have it real ,tough and challenge ...Using mission space bow planet pluto coming is not me ..

heck I still use patch/ball in my flintlock,open sights I am about only one carrying one they all went to in-line taking 200 yd shots on doe ..

what is fun with that?

Same with mission bow it just does not feel like BOW.... :wink:
Doesn't it feel like you're shooting a push broom?
If there are no dogs in heaven then I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Correct a fool and he'll hate you, Correct a wise man he'll thank you!
Madness is having a Malinois
Boocustomstrings.com

elkaholic

Post by elkaholic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm

I think you are mistaken on Mathews and missions same company-

I do believe the missions are from techs that quit mathews and started there own company!

Boo

Post by Boo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Oops!
If there are no dogs in heaven then I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Correct a fool and he'll hate you, Correct a wise man he'll thank you!
Madness is having a Malinois
Boocustomstrings.com

elkaholic

Post by elkaholic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:07 am

well I guess I was told wrong - these guys were the main crossbow dealers in central wisc.

no biggy -

bellerivercrossbowhunter

Post by bellerivercrossbowhunter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:57 am

There is alot to like about this bow except for the $.... ;)

Matt McPherson, founder and chief executive of Mathews/Mission and a legend of bow design, said the SUB-1 is able to achieve “insane accuracy” thanks to a number number of unique features incorporated into its groundbreaking design. Let’s look at the highlights.

Cams: At the heart of the SUB-1’s accuracy is the patented SYNC X high-letfoff cam system — a first in crossbow design. “We always try to do things radically,” McPherson said, but “the reason we do things differently at times is because we see an advantage. We feel like we are the Maserati or Porsche of crossbows right now, and we think you’ll know what we’re talking about when you pick it up.”

Built on Mathews’ popular NO CAM technology, the SYNC X features a reverse-draw (string comes off the front of the cams rather than the back) configuration that allows for a 13 ¾-inch power stroke while keeping overall crossbow length to 30 ½ inches. The SYNC X produces an advertised speed of 350 fps with a 400-grain bolt and features synchronized dual cams for perfectly straight nock travel.

The purpose of the SYNC X’s letoff is twofold. First, the letoff creates a gradual increase in string speed upon firing, or a process Mission calls “Controlled Acceleration.”

Using side-by-side slow-motion video with a competitor’s crossbow for comparison, Mission demonstrated how Controlled Acceleration results in a cleaner, smoother, straighter string release compared to a design with no letoff, where the sudden application of maximum draw force results in significant string oscillation that diminishes accuracy.

Second, the letoff in the cam system makes the SUB-1 significantly easier to cock using a rope cocking aid, because pulling the string back becomes much easier as it nears full draw.

Limbs/Pockets/Riser: In addition to a familiar cam design, Mathews fans will notice short, wide limbs and limb pockets on the SUB-1, much like those found on the company’s top target and hunting bows. Mission says the 200-pound draw weight limbs are extremely rigid to eliminate accuracy-robbing twist, while the limb pockets feature a very tight fit for maximum precision.

Limbs and pockets are attached to the bow with a compact aluminum riser that has an integrated footrest to keep overall crossbow length to a minimum. The SUB-1 measures 14 inches wide between the axles at rest and a highly maneuverable 10.8 inches wide when cocked.

Rail/Stock: The bow at the front of the unit is connected to the trigger mechanism and stock in the rear by a patented, CNC-machined aluminum rail that is slightly concave, meaning the surface of the rail sits higher at the front and rear than it does in the center. This isolates bolt/rail contact to the front and back of the rail, dramatically reducing friction and string wear, while also allowing the bolt to be guided through the launch by the string itself rather than the rail.

Below the rail is a machined aluminum stock with AR-style pistol grip behind the trigger housing. In addition to the included pistol grip, the frame is compatible with any standard AR-style aftermarket grip, allowing SUB-1 shooters to create the same grip setup found on their favorite firearm. In front of the trigger housing is a contoured foregrip with wide safety wings that effectively keep the shooter’s hand safely below the string’s path.

Trigger: Speaking of the trigger, Mission’s patented Benchmark Fire Control Trigger features a frictionless, two-stage, ball bearing roller sear that allows shooters to slowly take up travel until a solid back wall is reached, followed by a crisp break into the shot. If you decide not to shoot, simply relax the trigger to return to the zero position. Mission advertises trigger pull at 3.4 pounds. The trigger also offers an ambidextrous auto-engaging safety and anti-dry fire mechanism.

One of the coolest things about the trigger is a patented de-cocking feature that allows users to let the crossbow down simply by attaching the cocking rope, pressing a button, pulling up on the rope and slowly relaxing the string. I tried it numerous times, and it is the best de-cocking feature I’ve seen to date on a compound crossbow.

Arrows: Mission’s recommended bolts for the SUB-1 are made using 20-inch Victory carbon shafts with a +/-.001-inch straightness. They are finished with 3-inch shield cut vanes in a 1-degree helical orientation, Mission aluminum half-moon nocks and 100-grain fieldpoints. Finished bolts weigh 420 grains and have a 16.4 percent F.O.C. (front of center) balance point for maximum accuracy.

Meanwhile, the SUB-1 features a patent-pending Easy Load Arrow Retention Arm that makes loading bolts simple and holds them securely once in place.

Other highlights: The SUB-1’s scope rail is machined from super stiff 7075 aluminum that Mission says has great “memory,” meaning your scope holds its zero even when the scope is bumped in transit or you accidentally drop your crossbow while crossing a fence or ducking through some tight cover.

The SUB-1’s length of pull and comb height can be adjusted to fit each shooter. The butt stock offers multiple mounting positions, while the ambidextrous cheek piece features more than an inch of adjustability for perfect alignment between your eye and the scope.

Mission advertises the bare weight of the SUB-1 at 7.5 pounds. Finish options include all black or black with Under Armour Ridge Reaper Forest camo limbs.

Price: The SUB-1 is available for $1,499 for the crossbow only, or $1,699 as a kit that also includes: an illuminated Hawke multi-reticle scope with aiming points for ranges from 20-100 yards, in 10-yard increments; Mission Crossbows soft-sided case with accessory pockets; three Mission Crossbows bolts; quiver; and cocking rope. For an additional $200, customers can also add Mission’s RSD silent crank-cocking device.
Scorpyd death stalkerr (aka; devil bow), Black Micro Bulldog 355 BOO custom string, Spynal Tapp Arrows, Grim reaper broadheads ,Hawke optics.

I live to hunt and hunt to live. I am a meat eater!!!

janesy

Post by janesy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 am

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:57 am

Price: The SUB-1 is available for $1,499 for the crossbow only, or $1,699 as a kit that also includes: an illuminated Hawke multi-reticle scope with aiming points for ranges from 20-100 yards, in 10-yard increments; Mission Crossbows soft-sided case with accessory pockets; three Mission Crossbows bolts; quiver; and cocking rope. For an additional $200, customers can also add Mission’s RSD silent crank-cocking device.

Once that crosses the border... There is only one word to describe that price. Rediculous! But, to each their own. Its the same for every sport, you want to top tech you have to pay for it. And people do.
Will that have effect on Excalibur?? No, it'll be twice the price of excaliburs average offering. I just transfered some funds to US currency and PayPal used .77 as the exchange. So that bow is now almost $2300 Canadian. . Then we could get nailed another 13%(in whynntario)and brokerage at the border.

Thanks if you buy it online. What does it retail for on Canadian shelves?
Not knocking it, it's not my thing, but that doesn't mean it's not an awesome piece of bow. But will it effect EXCAL?? No
Matrix 355 (sold :( )
Micro-Mod 360
Micro 315 fully jambed!
It so hard to choose... Just get one of everything.

bellerivercrossbowhunter

Post by bellerivercrossbowhunter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:14 am

janesy wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 am
bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:57 am

Once that crosses the border... There is only one word to describe that price. Rediculous! But, to each their own. Its the same for every sport, you want to top tech you have to pay for it. And people do.
Will that have effect on Excalibur?? No, it'll be twice the price of excaliburs average offering. I just transfered some funds to US currency and PayPal used .77 as the exchange. So that bow is now almost $2300 Canadian. . Then we could get nailed another 13%(in whynntario)and brokerage at the border.

Thanks if you buy it online. What does it retail for on Canadian shelves?
Not knocking it, it's not my thing, but that doesn't mean it's not an awesome piece of bow. But will it effect EXCAL?? No
Yep outrageous is the word!
Scorpyd death stalkerr (aka; devil bow), Black Micro Bulldog 355 BOO custom string, Spynal Tapp Arrows, Grim reaper broadheads ,Hawke optics.

I live to hunt and hunt to live. I am a meat eater!!!

bigbowman

Post by bigbowman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 am

Elkaholic I don't know where you got your information but you are wrong my friend! Mission is in fact owned by Mathews! The same as Horton is owned by Ten Point! Are they the same companies? Of course not! They are ran independently as their own identities. :wink:
Vixen II
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
Black Eagle Executioners
NuFletch Archery "Ignitor" Lighted Nocks
NAP Swingblade, Rage Hypodermics and Shwackers

grouse

Post by grouse » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:54 am

Long range target shooting is fun but it isn't the purpose of my crossbows. I'm a hunter and I want a bow that will consistently hit a bullseye at 30 yards and put a broadhead through a deer's chest cavity at the same distance, and most crossbows can do the job competently. Beyond that, I care about other factors that affect hunting, like reliability, weight, balance etc. Ease of cocking doesn't matter much as long as I can cock it, and the same goes for de-cocking. Features that don't help me harvest game don't usually attract me. Benefits are what sell things and I don't see where the expensive features of this bow offer any advantage to me when I go hunting.
axiom
350 SE

hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:29 pm

The only other Crossbow I am looking at is the Parker Concorde it is cocked and uncocked with the push of a button powered by co2 . It can be cocked in 2 seconds . The only reason I am looking into it is because it is getting harder for me to cock the Excaliburs I do have with the rope or cranker and the price of it went down a ton and at this point I really don't care about the weight of the it as I don't shoot with out a stand anyway gone are the days of shooting off hand and walking any distance

hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:31 pm

The only other Crossbow I am looking at is the Parker Concorde it is cocked and uncocked with the push of a button powered by co2 . It can be cocked in 2 seconds . The only reason I am looking into it is because it is getting harder for me to cock the Excaliburs I do have with the rope or cranker and the price of it went down a ton and at this point I really don't care about the weight of it as I don't shoot with out a stand anyway gone are the days of shooting off hand and walking any distance