Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Post Reply
User avatar
Bcwn
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: North Carolina

Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by Bcwn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:07 am

Okay guys I'm thinking my speed dial on my crossbones, at least thats what I think. So I'm dialed in at 20 yards keeping all my arrows within the size of a quarter. I'm using a caldwell led sled so there is very little variance there if any at all.

With my arrows hitting spot on at 20 yards, I seem to be almost 3-4 inches high at 40 yards. Aint got a clue. HELP!

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones

User avatar
hunt2sleep
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:14 pm
Location: Northwest Louisiana

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by hunt2sleep » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 am

Is the magnification already maxed out? If not you need to increase the magnification. Turn the magnification ring to a higher speed. Remember the numbers are just a rough reference point.
Phoenix
Matrix 380 Xtra
Exomax

User avatar
xcaliber
Posts: 9104
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by xcaliber » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 am

Aim where you were aiming and adjust your speed ring to line up on the arrow, then shoot another. Should be right there! Don't be concerned about what the dial says your speed is, it is a reference only.
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Bushnell Trophy XLT / Single Stage Trigger Tech
Kodabow Scout (Karma) MFO Tagged Out Sights.
Micro 355 (Jinx) Nikon Bolt XR. TT Single Stage, Munch Mount
Matrix 380 (Max) Leupold Crossbones

User avatar
BrotherRon
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:47 am
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by BrotherRon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:44 pm

hunt2sleep wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 am
Is the magnification already maxed out? If not you need to increase the magnification. Turn the magnification ring to a higher speed. Remember the numbers are just a rough reference point.

x2 :wink:
Matrix 310/330 Snuffy II~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~TT~Tombstone Case.
36" All Weather Tactical Case. Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver
Strings by Boo ~ 8ptbuk ~ nchunterkw
http://www.freewebs.com/kingdomushers/
Prayed up -Looking up- Waiting to be called up.

colouredchameleon
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: The Land of the Greatest Crossbow Made - Excalibur's Canada

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by colouredchameleon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:06 am

Someone correct me if I am wrong!
But I was always lead to believe the best distance to use when making the final speed dial adjustment is at 50 yards.
( Of course using all Excalibur Equipment - Scope / Crossbow /Arrows)

20 Yards to Set Zero ( by means of Windage/Elevation Dials adjustments)
(Start by ONLY setting zero with same arrow on same Vane)

If you already know your best arrow / vane / head combination then use that one.
( I have one arrow same vane / same head that I use exclusively for Zeroing that was determined from a lot of sessions to be the most constance from shoot to shoot)
( It is my main Control Arrow as a go to only if I suspect accuracy issues / or make changes with my equipment.

50 yards to set zero for 30/40/50/60 . ( Adjust Speed Ring Only )
(Up Speed Ring Setting to lower impact point / Down Speed Ring Setting to raise impact point )

Once Set then go back to 20 yards and fine tune each of your arrows to determine best vane on each to use for best grouping as a set.

To then switch from Broad heads to field points use it is a simple in most cases just a minor adjustment to the Speed Ring.
(First Test impact at head switch a 20 yards / then adjust speed ring at 50 yards to zero if required for (20/30/40/50/60 yards)

Has always worked well for me in a quick to no time shooting session

User avatar
robertyb
Posts: 2279
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by robertyb » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:20 pm

I have always used 20 and 40 to set mine.
Wildlife Population Control Specialist

User avatar
nchunterkw
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:21 am
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Contact:

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by nchunterkw » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:48 pm

The reticles are close but not always exact as well. Depends on the arrow setup, it's velocity, and ballistics coefficient. On my Hawke Pro SR, with my Micro and my arrow, I zero at 20 and then my reticles are 20, 30, 41. 53. If I would set my speed ring at 50 to be dead nuts, then I would be off everywhere else. I want 20 and 30 to be good and sacrifice a bit on the longer ranges as those are shots I likely would not take on deer. BUT...I use the longer ranges to verify that I have good arrows and that they fly well. You see more with your arrows at longer ranges than at 20 or 30 IMO.

Zero at 20, go to 40 and set the speed ring, then check 30, 40 and 50 to verify.
Keith
"The difference between Theory and Reality is small...in theory"

Micro, Vortex
RamCat, Slick Trick
BE Zombie, TF Feathers, Trinity Strings
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><

colouredchameleon
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: The Land of the Greatest Crossbow Made - Excalibur's Canada

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by colouredchameleon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 pm

robertyb wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:20 pm
I have always used 20 and 40 to set mine.

Will have to give 40 yards a try next time I need to to see if there is any difference between setting it at 40 yards versus 50 yards.

My question is there any manufactures recommended instructions when it comes to setting up the crossbones scope

I tend to leave it to the experts and follow the manufacture's recommends on such things. I find it saves a lot of time rather going the trial and error error route.

I have both of these scopes below and have always followed the original Setup Instructions to a T ( Bill T that is )

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Dead-Zone-Instructions.pdf

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/1962_Twilight_DLX_Instructions_12ENG.pdf

CC

User avatar
xcaliber
Posts: 9104
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by xcaliber » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:37 pm

nchunterkw wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:48 pm
The reticles are close but not always exact as well. Depends on the arrow setup, it's velocity, and ballistics coefficient. On my Hawke Pro SR, with my Micro and my arrow, I zero at 20 and then my reticles are 20, 30, 41. 53. If I would set my speed ring at 50 to be dead nuts, then I would be off everywhere else. I want 20 and 30 to be good and sacrifice a bit on the longer ranges as those are shots I likely would not take on deer. BUT...I use the longer ranges to verify that I have good arrows and that they fly well. You see more with your arrows at longer ranges than at 20 or 30 IMO.

Zero at 20, go to 40 and set the speed ring, then check 30, 40 and 50 to verify.
Yep, I have very close POI through the ranges, but concentrate a lot more on 20, and 30 yards. Verify the rest, but don't put all my attention on them, just nice to know where it's going to hit, and verify arrow consistency. Keith, you said it right!
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Bushnell Trophy XLT / Single Stage Trigger Tech
Kodabow Scout (Karma) MFO Tagged Out Sights.
Micro 355 (Jinx) Nikon Bolt XR. TT Single Stage, Munch Mount
Matrix 380 (Max) Leupold Crossbones

colouredchameleon
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: The Land of the Greatest Crossbow Made - Excalibur's Canada

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by colouredchameleon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

I guess i am curious and would really like to know now.

HOW and WHY Excalibur came up with their recommendation of the use of the 50 yard distance for the final speed ring adjustment.

sproulman
Posts: 1624
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:10 pm
Location: PA WILDS AREA

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by sproulman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:18 am

As you turn ring up your power gets stronger ..I keep mine at 380 on my tact zone as it is best setting to see a Buck clear at 30 yards and target also..

But i do not use lines only the 20 yd one sighted in at 30 yards never shoot buck over 35 yards,never ...

But that is not your question :wink:

User avatar
nchunterkw
Posts: 2104
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:21 am
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Contact:

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by nchunterkw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:04 pm

colouredchameleon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm
I guess i am curious and would really like to know now.

HOW and WHY Excalibur came up with their recommendation of the use of the 50 yard distance for the final speed ring adjustment.
My guess is it is based on the ballistics curves they developed with their arrows being shot out of their bows. That is surely how they developed the reticles. So if you deviate from that set of variables things will be different. And if I remember right, they were only going for good hunting accuracy (2" or 3" at 40yds say...)
Keith
"The difference between Theory and Reality is small...in theory"

Micro, Vortex
RamCat, Slick Trick
BE Zombie, TF Feathers, Trinity Strings
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><

colouredchameleon
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: The Land of the Greatest Crossbow Made - Excalibur's Canada

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by colouredchameleon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:09 pm

nchunterkw wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:04 pm
colouredchameleon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm
I guess i am curious and would really like to know now.

HOW and WHY Excalibur came up with their recommendation of the use of the 50 yard distance for the final speed ring adjustment.
My guess is it is based on the ballistics curves they developed with their arrows being shot out of their bows. That is surely how they developed the reticles. So if you deviate from that set of variables things will be different. And if I remember right, they were only going for good hunting accuracy (2" or 3" at 40yds say...)

Well if their intent was accuracy at best was 2" to 3" groups @ 40 yds :shock: then they surely out did themselves.
I have learned the hard way over the years even at 50 yds under ideal shooting conditions to never shoot two shots in a row at the same spot as it can become expensive by destroying a few good arrows over the years risking it. :shock:
Good for the ego and neat to see having two arrows welded togeither end to end. :? :shock:
But such a waste however of two good arrows just to stroke ones ego even a bit. ( :cry: $35.00 poorer)
Normally to Risk It @ 40 to 50 yds you would most likely get away with it more times then not .
But to risk trying even once @ 20 to 30 yds is never a good thing.
After hundreds and hundreds of shots over the years I am still amazed how Good My Excalibur Crossbow Makes Me Look. :wink: :D

CC

catclr
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:37 am
Location: North of Harrisburg, Pa.

Re: Help setting speed adjustment on crossbones

Post by catclr » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Bcwn wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:07 am
Okay guys I'm thinking my speed dial on my crossbones, at least thats what I think. So I'm dialed in at 20 yards keeping all my arrows within the size of a quarter. I'm using a caldwell led sled so there is very little variance there if any at all.

With my arrows hitting spot on at 20 yards, I seem to be almost 3-4 inches high at 40 yards. Aint got a clue. HELP!

Brad
Sent you a PM
Matrix 355
DM Quiver Mount
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup 4x4 Kocker w/AMSTEEL Rope
DrStirrup Foot Stirrup
DrStirrup Bumpers
nchunterkw, davesonic444,Boo strings
FIXpandable 100 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP Shafts
Nufletch Ignitor's

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 42 guests