Cinco de DeerO

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Cinco de DeerO

Post by nchunterkw » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 am

With the artic blast fixin' to hit NC this past weekend, I was hopeful that it would get some deer up on their feet during the daylight hours on the properties I hunt. This particular piece is really nice with lots of hardwoods and rolling hills, but the thickets are all just off the property as it is mostly mature trees. Still, the deer definately use it to feed on acorns and other mast, but once the season gets underway, they go pretty nocturnal - at least on the propertiy I have access too. Went Friday night and sat near a feeder I have up. I have a little "nest" setup about 20 yards away and just up the hill from it, that I made from dead limbs and other brush I scrounged up from nearby. I sit in this in my ghille suit and it works fine. But my son and I had been using it for a few weeks now. Didn't see anything Friday night, but the cold hadn't settled in yet either. Pulled my camera card and checked it out when I got home. They were definately in there ...but mostly at night...but there were some morning pics too. I figured Sat AM would be the ticket as it was going to be in the 20's (F). My son was going to hunt with me, but when I said we needed to be setup before 6AM, I got a "Hmm, OK". Then over the course of the night he backed out. No worries, I figured I would sit on the feeder then.

My truck said it was 28F as I drove to the spot, and as I figured the deer were up. Problem was that they were on the feeder as I walked in before 6 . Saw 3 pairs of green glowing eyes 50 yds ahead of me. Now what? I tried keeping my light on and sneaking in a bit, figuring that might keep them from figuring out exactly what I was, but it didn't work. So that was it. After they left I went over to the nest and sat down . I stayed until I was shivering (hey...I'm southern now and 28 is realy cold :lol: ) and then I took off.

I couldn't get back out there until Sunday evening and it was already warming some as it was only going to be in the 40's but that is still a good temperature dip considering it was 80 degrees 2 weeks ago here. But I thought I'm not going to sit in the nest. I had a suspicion that even tough we had seen some deer there, that they were wise to the nest. Problem is that there is not a ton of cover on the ground. So I got in there Sunday at about 3:30PM and looked around a bit. I picked a tree about 20yds away from the feeder, but one that had 2 other big trees between it and the feeder. I cleaned away a spot in front and sat down with my ghille suit on. It really is impressive at how well the 3D camo works. All was quiet except for the guys doing a roof a few hunderd yards away (really, gotta do that on Sunday?), but then around 4:30 or so they stopped. Now it really was quiet. About 30 mins after things settled down I saw something out in front of me. I thought it was a deer, but I wasn't sure. I could only see about 5" of the body as it was down the hill a bit (40yds) and it's head was down and it was just going back and forth all over the place, never lifting it's head. I'd seen some dogs out there so I thought maybe that, but that didn't look right either. Coyote? Nah. Eventually the thing popped it's head up and it was a small spike (well, I think it was but if so those horns were small, not taller than it's ears). But definately acting like a buck with it's nose to the ground. I was out of buck tgas to I settled in to see what he would do. He eventually worked off to the thicket on the left and I thought "maybe he will run a doe or 2 out of there". Well, sure enough about 10 minutes later here comes this doe, straight into the feeder without a care. Now these deer are usually pretty skittish at this time of year, so I'm pretty sure she checked that nest and saw that the coast was clear and rolled on up for some dinner. She stopped at 23yds broadside. As she was coming in I moved my bow up and when she stopped I flipped the saftey off and it clicked. She looked at me but I took my time and settled the 20yd crosshair about an inch above midline and behind the leg. TINK...THWACK!, my 16" Zombie tipped with a 125gr RamCat flew true and the Igniter showed me that it was a good hit....

She took off like a bat out of hell and went down the hill and started up the other side. I couldn't see her anymore and was a little surprised that I did not see her fall. Then I saw something white flash in the trees where I last saw her run and knew she was down right there. I thanked the Lord profusely and then started to pack up and got my light and checked thngs out a bit. I walked over to the feeder and coud see her laying up the hill. She did not run more than 40 yds. The blood started out as a few drops within 1 yard of where she was when I shot her and within 5 yards was a constant stream of 10-20 drops. Yep. Love the RamCats. I re-loaded the feeder and put in new batteries then hiked all my stuff to the truck and got my new deer cart. Then I went back and got her. The cart is really nice. $50 at Sportsmans Guide and I just threw her on and wheeled her out of there and went several hundred yards to the creek and field dressed her there. So the hunting spot stayed pretty clean. I like that. Got home around 6:40PM and had her all boned out and in my refrigerator, everything cleaned up and was having a beer by 8:30PM. All in all a pretty great day. Deer number 5, and like the others, she will help feed hungry people.

Keith
Last edited by nchunterkw on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith
"Remember...always drink upstream from the herd."

Micro, Vortex
RamCat, Slick Trick, Magnus
Black Eagle Executioners & Zombies, Easton FMJs
2" Trueflight Feathers, DeerBoyArchery Strings
[email protected]
<{{{><

hunt2sleep

Re: Cinco de DeerO

Post by hunt2sleep » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:20 am

Great story, congratulations!
Phoenix
Matrix 380 Xtra
Exomax

tcwild

Post by tcwild » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 am

Awesome story!!

Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:16 am

Great story Keith!!
Keep up the good fun work. :D

Billy
BD400
HHA Optimizer, Hawke XB1 SR
18" BEA ZS,
Spitfires, Magnus Black Hornet
Strings by Boo, VM, nchunterkw

mr meat

Post by mr meat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 pm

Congrats!
vixen 11
exoct 175 with Aging custom stock #27
exocet 200
matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen

Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Congrats! I have the same deer cart!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline

gunboy203

Post by gunboy203 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Congrats Keith... Great story....

Normous

Post by Normous » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Hunting and feeding the hungry is a win win the way I see it. Good Karma to you Keith.
EXCALFFLICTION Since 1991 ->>------------> 2017
Matrix Blackout 405 & 355 for Her
Kustom Krug Micro 355
Leupold VX-R 2-7 Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Great job.lts 50 here today seems like summer. After the 20s we had . Im hunting way way back in a swamp i passed on 2 decent bucks .lts gotta be one heck of a buck for me to justify the drag from hell. I will shoot a doe much closer to the truck later on.
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 workhorse nikon bolt /vixen ll / striker offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/ trigger tec's on most / spitfires/easton2216s/zombies

grouse

Post by grouse » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Congratulations, and thanks for posting an interesting story.
axiom
350 SE

xcaliber

Post by xcaliber » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Congrats on a good season!
Matrix 355 (Trixxi) Redfield Revenge 2.5 Trigger Tech
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Nikon Bolt XR Single Stage Trigger Tech
Kodabow Scout (Karma) MFO Tagged Out Sights.
Micro 355 (Jinx) Crossbones. TT Single Stage, Munch Mount
My own Killer Strings and Arrows.

Goose52

Post by Goose52 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:15 am

story almost as good as the title! congrats!
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Illuminated Quills
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE