R.E.D.S

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sloppy Does

R.E.D.S

Post by Sloppy Does » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Do the REDS actually reduce noise or just limit vibration? I haven't had a bow without them and I was curious. Seems to me that the string slapping the REDS would add a new noise.
MICRO 355
BULLDOG 400
ZEISS XB 75

galamb

Re: R.E.D.S

Post by galamb » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:57 am

I have run my older Excal with and without S5 (REDS) and Dissipation Bars (Air Brakes).

The bow was loud without them and still loud with them - maybe measurably "quieter" by a DB or two but nothing that my ear can readily discern.

But "quiet" is a personal thing. Some say the Supressor is "quiet" - I find it "less loud" but nowhere near a description of quiet.

What the S5 and Dissipator's did for me, along with some limbsaver sticky pads on the stirrup did was dramatically reduce the shock upon firing. So it's still "loud" but you don't get that "booooing" vibration sound after the "whack" and when I spend an afternoon shooting a hundred or so shots on my range, my hands appreciate it.

But if you truly want "quiet" you need to go with a vertical bow. There is a video floating around on YouTube by some (shop) that tested four different bows (the supressor and three wheeled crossbows including the 360 Katana).

The supressor was the "quietest" but still measured over 90 DB's. When extended exposure to "greater than 85 DB's" causes hearing damage, that tells (me) the quietest crossbows are still "very loud".
Graham

Vix II, VixenMaster flemish/S5, 20" GT Laser II's - 100 gr Dead Ringer Stiletto II's (394 grains - 22.5% F.O.C.) @272 FPS

Bow River Archery 51# Summit TD Recurve, Beman Bone Collectors - 100 gr Rage 40KE (491 grains - 14.6% FOC) @148 FPS

janesy

Post by janesy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:37 pm

I ran two matrix 355 side my side, and a pair of micros(would that make them micri?)one with and one with out REDS.
I can say for certain that there is a difference. It makes the sound less twangy, and the duration is drastically reduced. But it does not make it actually quiter, just different. As Galamb stated its more aboit the over all vibration

I would say your analogy is correct. Removes the string flapping around noise and replaces it with a string slaming into rubber noise. Lesser of two evils
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
Micro 315 fully jambed!

It so hard to choose... Just get one of everything.

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:14 pm

I have been shooting the dr stririp bumpers on my vixen and ibex . They actually want the string to end up touching the bumpers slightly. And yes the noise difference is absolutely reduced.way more than with the stock ....or no bumpers.
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 workhorse nikon bolt /vixen ll / striker offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/ trigger tec's on most / spitfires/easton2216s/zombies

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:19 pm

[url=https://postimg.org/image/t6r9862ut/]Image[
Dr stirrup bumpers and limb silencers
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 workhorse nikon bolt /vixen ll / striker offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/ trigger tec's on most / spitfires/easton2216s/zombies

gerald strine

Post by gerald strine » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Another benefit on older models with out anti dry fire it helps absorb some energy if you mess up and dry fire.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.