what gen micro?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:42 pm
Location: PA

what gen micro?

Post by bobcat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Could someone explain the different "gen" micros? i bought mine new 3 years ago but dont know which i have. i think someone helped me figure it out once on here before but i cant fine the post. aslo why are there 3 generations of them and which is the best?

User avatar
Rambeaux
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 pm
Location: The Bayou State

Re: what gen micro?

Post by Rambeaux » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Gen 1 on bottom, gen 2 on top. I haven't heard of a 3rd gen. Supposedly the gen 2 has a differnt angle.
However, I have a Micro 355, gen 2, and still had a limb fail. On the bright side, Excalibur's CS is the best in the industry,
or any industry for that matter (IMO).
20171227_155543.jpg
20171227_155543.jpg (35.54 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Micro 355/XV530IR scope/8pt flemish/DB Killers and bumpers/Slick Trick 150's/16.5" Zombie's

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: what gen micro?

Post by janesy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:01 pm

Its quite a significant change in the angle. You can see how far back it really is when you put a gen 2 riser on a gen 1 rail. It moves the brace height back quite a ways. Id measure it, but its downstairs and im not .

Possitives and negative about both. More possitive than negative in either case.
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
Micro 315 fully jambed!

It so hard to choose... Just get one of everything.

bobcat
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:42 pm
Location: PA

Re: what gen micro?

Post by bobcat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 pm

i cant really tell from the pic because one bow is cocked and one is not. or am i looking at the wrong thing

User avatar
xcaliber
Posts: 9131
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: what gen micro?

Post by xcaliber » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:40 pm

See the curve, look where the arrow sets, that should make it very to see the difference.
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Bushnell Trophy XLT / Single Stage Trigger Tech
Kodabow Scout (Karma) MFO Tagged Out Sights.
Micro 355 (Jinx) Nikon Bolt XR. TT Single Stage, Munch Mount
Matrix 380 (Max) Leupold Crossbones

User avatar
Rambeaux
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 pm
Location: The Bayou State

Re: what gen micro?

Post by Rambeaux » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 pm

bobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 pm
i cant really tell from the pic because one bow is cocked and one is not. or am i looking at the wrong thing
First Gen:
20170120_124301_1484941393608_resized.jpg
20170120_124301_1484941393608_resized.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

Second Gen:

IMG_4564.JPG
Last edited by Rambeaux on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro 355/XV530IR scope/8pt flemish/DB Killers and bumpers/Slick Trick 150's/16.5" Zombie's

User avatar
xcaliber
Posts: 9131
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: what gen micro?

Post by xcaliber » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Last pic. Gen.2
Matrix 330 (Xylia) Bushnell Trophy XLT / Single Stage Trigger Tech
Kodabow Scout (Karma) MFO Tagged Out Sights.
Micro 355 (Jinx) Nikon Bolt XR. TT Single Stage, Munch Mount
Matrix 380 (Max) Leupold Crossbones

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: what gen micro?

Post by janesy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:03 pm

bobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 pm
i cant really tell from the pic because one bow is cocked and one is not. or am i looking at the wrong thing
Look at the shape of the riser itself, one has a webbing(gen1) and the other has a big open hole(gen 2)

Gen two has a more swept back angle, which offers less strain on the limbs. But it is also inherently, "weaker" when comparing the amount of energy it allows the limbs to create and hold. So therefore the second gen of micros have a longer mainframe to keep the speed as advertised. There are two ways to make power, angle the limbs forward, or increase the draw length.

One is not better than the other, just a different way of acheiving very similar results.
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
Micro 315 fully jambed!

It so hard to choose... Just get one of everything.

Tlyle
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:17 pm
Location: Rockland County NY

Re: what gen micro?

Post by Tlyle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 pm

All this Micro info is helpful. Thank you.
One additional question. I have a new Micro 355. However, when you look at the bow, the only identity is Excalibur on one side, and Micro on the other. How do you identify the difference between the Micro models, 335, 355, etc...?
Matrix 380, Zombie Slayers, TT 2.5
Micro 355, Nikon Bolt, TT 1.5, Big John Arrows
Shoot Straight, Eat Steak!

W.Miguire
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Washington Island Wisc.

Re: what gen micro?

Post by W.Miguire » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:47 pm

the rail on the 335 will be shorter than the 355.
W.M.

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: what gen micro?

Post by janesy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:56 pm

Tlyle wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 pm
All this Micro info is helpful. Thank you.
One additional question. I have a new Micro 355. However, when you look at the bow, the only identity is Excalibur on one side, and Micro on the other. How do you identify the difference between the Micro models, 335, 355, etc...?
355, is either black or camo in the case of the suppressor.
As Bill stated, the length varies by 1/2" for each model. The 315 is a full 1" less, and thw 335 gen2 is 1/2" less than the 355.

335 gen1, has the same length rail as the 315(a gen2)

Altho, it also important to mention that outside of the internet crossbow world the "gen" identification doesnt exist. Its simply old sryle and new style from excal.
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
Micro 315 fully jambed!

It so hard to choose... Just get one of everything.

User avatar
Boo
Posts: 11362
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Newtonville, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: what gen micro?

Post by Boo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:33 am

The third generation is like the second but the hole for the string stop is not drilled completely through the riser.
If there are no dogs in heaven then I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Random acts of kindness can change the world.
The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something
Boocustomstrings.com

User avatar
Rambeaux
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 pm
Location: The Bayou State

Re: what gen micro?

Post by Rambeaux » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:27 am

Boo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:33 am
The third generation is like the second but the hole for the string stop is not drilled completely through the riser.
In that case, I have a gen 3 riser. WOO WHOOO!
Micro 355/XV530IR scope/8pt flemish/DB Killers and bumpers/Slick Trick 150's/16.5" Zombie's

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: what gen micro?

Post by janesy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Boo wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:33 am
The third generation is like the second but the hole for the string stop is not drilled completely through the riser.
So your saying Gen 3 is heavier to tote around :wink:
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
Micro 315 fully jambed!

It so hard to choose... Just get one of everything.

bobcat
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:42 pm
Location: PA

Re: what gen micro?

Post by bobcat » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:30 pm

janesy wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:56 pm
Tlyle wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 pm
All this Micro info is helpful. Thank you.
One additional question. I have a new Micro 355. However, when you look at the bow, the only identity is Excalibur on one side, and Micro on the other. How do you identify the difference between the Micro models, 335, 355, etc...?
355, is either black or camo in the case of the suppressor.
As Bill stated, the length varies by 1/2" for each model. The 315 is a full 1" less, and thw 335 gen2 is 1/2" less than the 355.

335 gen1, has the same length rail as the 315(a gen2)

Altho, it also important to mention that outside of the internet crossbow world the "gen" identification doesnt exist. Its simply old sryle and new style from excal.
so if i shim my riser on my 335 a 1/2 i have a 355? :shock:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 64 guests