End of deer season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

End of deer season

Post by Carnivorous » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Yesterday evening was the end of our 2017 deer season. :( I usually reflect on how my season went and think about what I can do to make the next season better.

Overall it went well and the freezer meat supply is where it needs to be.. :)

I do need to set stands earlier with better cover for different wind directions and scout for more travel routes..

Looking forward to the ATA now and ice fishing for yellow perch until ice out.

Cheers and have a great 2018....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of harvest is at hand.

vixenmaster

Re: End of deer season

Post by vixenmaster » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:43 pm

I do hope you had a good season that was freezer fillin. Tomorrow is the last day of my ML season, its been too cold is my excuse but my Mrs. has been under the weather fer well over a week now. That leaves me wid doin almost 100 % of work inside n out, it leaves about no time to hunt. I thought the 5 deer i killed would carry us through this yr til season 2018 opens. My Mrs. has a good heart n decided we would share the Blessings. So as it stands 5 hind qtr's were given, 6 front shoulders, 3 necks, were given to needy women around our area. So i will have to continue to hunt through this last archery segment to try fer one more deer
crossbowcrossroads.com/forum/
Marie Laveau Voodoo Queen Matrix 360 Utahraptor Scorpyd DS
Pipsqueak Hybrid Micro/Matrix 135 lb 235 fps Banshee MXB320
Captain Jack Sparrow Custom Micro 355
[email protected] 417-505-9315

ko4nrbs

Re: End of deer season

Post by ko4nrbs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:21 pm

The area where my Climbing Tree Stand comes into play is pretty small so my stand can't be moved and still be in range of the deer. The Pecan tree turned out to be an ideal location though it was just pure luck on my part. It was the only suitable tree I could use and still be on public land. Hunting a narrow strip of Corps of Engineer's Land where a river and creek join doesn't give you many options. To ensure I have open shooting lanes I will be clearing brush and dead fall this spring and summer. Plan on keeping the mineral lick stocked up with salt all spring and summer to.

I use a Ground Blind on a friend's 3 1/2 acre place and found after the blind was set up I was too close to the deer trail. Didn't want to move it and start all over getting them used to it so I left it. It did get me two deer but who knows how many deer shied away because of it's placement. It will be moved and brushed in much better next year.

Live and Learn!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax with Twlight DLX
Firebolts with NuFletch Ignitor Lighted Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 grain Broadheads