This close to getting a new XB!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

This close to getting a new XB!

Post by XB I GO » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:42 pm

My brother and I tried to convince Dad that we need a new crossbow. We tried to convince him that it would be great to have something smaller and faster. After all, it would fit in our ground blind better and be easier for us to carry. It would also have a little more power for better penetration and accuracy. We like the Matrix 380 because we've been reading about it on this forum lately.

First I thought Dad should call Mr. Miller since everyone here talks nice about him. That backfired. Dad told Mr. Miller about what we wanted and Mr. Miller told Dad we already had the crossbow we were talking about.

Then I got Dad to agree to bid on ebay if my brother and I chipped in all our money that's $160. Dad did bid, but when it got around $500 he said he couldn't afford it.

After that Dad outsmarted us. He has a bow that he has shot a lot of stuff with like deer, bear, elk and hogs. I know Dad has had pass throughs on everything he shot since we talk about it. He set up the chronograph and the scale. With his 422 grain arrows he got 241.9 fps.

Then he shot our Axiom with the Zombie Slayers and 150 grain Sonic Bolt broadheads. They weigh 470.5 grains

and are going an average of 300.6 fps, with one shot registering 306.8

Dang it, Dad's right. He said when my brother and I have $250 saved he will match it and then we can look for a Matrix 380 for $500. Maybe we don't need it after all.

Gotta go, on school library computer.....

flightattendant100

Re: This close to getting a new XB!

Post by flightattendant100 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 pm

" Mr. Miller" is a trip isn't he! hahahaha. Your Axiom is a great bow. Save your nickels and dimes, and I bet you have a birthday in the future, that might work. Good Luck on the 380.

bigbowman

Post by bigbowman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Danny will NOT sell something that you don’t need! Lol Not many honest shops like this anymore!
Vixen II
Axiom
Black Eagle Spynal Tapps
Black Eagle Executioners
NuFletch Archery "Ignitor" Lighted Nocks
NAP Swingblade, Rage Hypodermics and Shwackers

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Your only like 12 .....isnt that 380 a little hard on the arms lol. Why not a smaller step even a 355 is a lot more bow . The matrix bows are a lot harder to cock than the long limber you got now.Try cocking one at the dealer youl see what im blabbin about. I know there are cockers but its nice to do it on your own .....save that crap for old age.You can steal a neibors dog and hold it for ransom ....that pays awsome ...ohhh forget that maby.
Last edited by longbow joe on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 workhorse nikon bolt /vixen ll / striker offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/ trigger tec's on most / spitfires/easton2216s/zombies

ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Many, Many deer killed with the Axiom!! It is a great crossbow as all Excalibur crossbows are. Don't get caught up in the speed craze. I used to crave a 405 but so far my Exomax at 350FPS has killed 6 deer and all were pass through with about 30 yards or so being the longest retrieve. I have no idea what my real arrow speed is because I don't have a chronograph but with my set up it will be less than advertised. I've cooled off on the 405 but now crave a 308 Short. So I am going down in speed instead of up.

If you just have an itch to get a new crossbow be patient and save until you can afford the 380. Mow lawns, shovel snow, etc. will convince your Dad you are serious!! I have seen a few used ones that looked new sell for good prices.

Good luck to you and your brother!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax with Twlight DLX
Firebolts with NuFletch Ignitor Lighted Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 grain Broadheads

DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:50 pm

If you're getting over 300fps with a 470 grain arrow, you've got all the crossbow you'll ever need. My first compound bow shot about 218 fps with a 400 grain arrow and even it shot through anything that was broad sided.

The newer crossbows are cool looking though, huh?

DuckHunt
2015 Micro 335 (Gen 1)
2006 Exomax 350

XB I GO

Post by XB I GO » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 pm

I can't cock the Axiom. I am too short and too weak. My Dad has to cock it for me. If we get one that is harder to cock its still Dad's job to do it. Funny, the school computer keeps blocking certain words and I have to overwrite them....lol.

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Im 52 years old only 155 pounds soaking wet but in good physical shape but l have found it possible but difficult to cock a 335 micro or a 355 matrix in a tree. Sometimes you just need a second shot. My point is why over bow yourself when its not necessary. I dont and l can pull back a bigger bow.
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 workhorse nikon bolt /vixen ll / striker offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/ trigger tec's on most / spitfires/easton2216s/zombies

BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Some good advice here.
When I was looking to buy my first crossbow a few members here recommended a smaller Matrix model and I am glad I listened. The Matrix 310 is all I really need. Big enough for the whitetail deer I hunt and plenty easy enough to cock when I feel like spending a couple hours target shooting. :wink:
Matrix 310/330 Snuffy II~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~TT~Tombstone Case.
36" All Weather Tactical Case. Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver
Strings by Boo ~ 8ptbuk..
http://www.freewebs.com/kingdomushers/
Prayed up -Looking up- Waiting to be called up.