Money Spent!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Post Reply
ko4nrbs
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma

Money Spent!!

Post by ko4nrbs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:34 am

This is not a Chinese crossbow slamming thread!! It just doesn't make sense to me to spend money on a crossbow that hasn't been in the field for years like the Excalibur crossbows. I am fully aware some Excalibur crossbows have had problems but they are promptly addressed by Customer Service. In addition Excalibur engineering works to correct design or material problems. That may be difficult to accomplish with a Chinese crossbow no matter who the distributor is.

Advice I gave to a friend of mine.
Money spent on a Chinese recurve crossbow is money you can use to buy a used Excalibur crossbow in excellent condition with more options. In addition you will get a better warranty with proven customer service.

A search on this forum, Ebay or Craigslist can turn up some pretty good deals.

If Excalibur crossbows were new to the market I would also be wary of them as well. I don't like having to be the QC department for any manufacture. Had enough of that before I retired.

I fell better now!!

Bill
Excalibur Exomax with Twlight DLX
Firebolts with NuFletch Ignitor Lighted Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 grain Broadheads

User avatar
janesy
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:20 pm
Location: Beavertown. Ont

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by janesy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:37 pm

We have the I saying here at work...

We don't have time to do it right, but we have time to do it twice!
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog 370
Micro 315 fully jambed!
It so hard to choose... Just get one of everything.

User avatar
bigbowman
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:04 am
Location: Ripon, WI
Contact:

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by bigbowman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Sometimes people have very limited funds and can only afford the cheaper bows. Not everyone has the money to go out and spend $400-500 on a brand name bow! I never knock what anyone chooses for their choice of weapons as long as they work and can ethically harvest game! To each their own! :D
Vixen/Micro
Axiom/Ibex
Black Eagle Spynal Tapps
Black Eagle Executioners
NuFletch Archery "Ignitor" Lighted Nocks
NAP Swingblade, Rage Hypodermics and Shwackers

ko4nrbs
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by ko4nrbs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:12 pm

bigbowman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm
Sometimes people have very limited funds and can only afford the cheaper bows. Not everyone has the money to go out and spend $400-500 on a brand name bow! :D
That's why I talked him into saving up and avoid the temptation of buying something just because it's cheap. Money ahead in my opinion.

Yes it is to each their own. Just trying to educate someone so he doesn't get disappointed.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax with Twlight DLX
Firebolts with NuFletch Ignitor Lighted Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 grain Broadheads

SEW
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:55 am
Location: NE Arkansas

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by SEW » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:14 pm

I have 4 Excalibur Xbows. The first 2 were bought new(M380 and M405) and 2 used Excaliburs (BD400 & M405). I got a lot more for my money with the latter two.

OhioXBowhunter
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by OhioXBowhunter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:14 pm

I look at it this way why spend 200 or 300 on a crossbow then two years later buy another one because the 200-300 dollars broke and no warranty when you can buy an Excalibur and never have to worry about replacing it in two years and get a lifetime of use out of it. :D

User avatar
bigbowman
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:04 am
Location: Ripon, WI
Contact:

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by bigbowman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Like I said, it’s easy to justify your money but who are we to dictate to anyone else how to spend theirs! Maybe they don’t want to wait two or three years to buy a more expensive Excalibur bow! Maybe they want to buy with what they have to spend now to enjoy hunting like you? So you are basically saying don’t hunt now, save until you can afford a Excalibur bow!
Vixen/Micro
Axiom/Ibex
Black Eagle Spynal Tapps
Black Eagle Executioners
NuFletch Archery "Ignitor" Lighted Nocks
NAP Swingblade, Rage Hypodermics and Shwackers

ko4nrbs
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by ko4nrbs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:19 pm

bigbowman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 pm
Like I said, it’s easy to justify your money but who are we to dictate to anyone else how to spend theirs! Maybe they don’t want to wait two or three years to buy a more expensive Excalibur bow! Maybe they want to buy with what they have to spend now to enjoy hunting like you? So you are basically saying don’t hunt now, save until you can afford a Excalibur bow!
Good points!!

For what some of the Chinese crossbows sell for a check for a used Excalibur should be tried. If nothing turns up you have to do what you have to in order to hunt.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax with Twlight DLX
Firebolts with NuFletch Ignitor Lighted Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 grain Broadheads

User avatar
bigbowman
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:04 am
Location: Ripon, WI
Contact:

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by bigbowman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:50 pm

I understand to help a friend by educating them, but sometimes people have to learn by themselves. I have come to believe to let people make their own decisions and I don’t begrudge anyone for their choices. Then again, there are some that will never learn their lesson! Lol All we can do is give some guidance and let them do the rest. 😉
Vixen/Micro
Axiom/Ibex
Black Eagle Spynal Tapps
Black Eagle Executioners
NuFletch Archery "Ignitor" Lighted Nocks
NAP Swingblade, Rage Hypodermics and Shwackers

ko4nrbs
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by ko4nrbs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:43 pm

bigbowman wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:50 pm
I understand to help a friend by educating them, but sometimes people have to learn by themselves. I have come to believe to let people make their own decisions and I don’t begrudge anyone for their choices. Then again, there are some that will never learn their lesson! Lol All we can do is give some guidance and let them do the rest. 😉
Very true!! The way I explained it to him was thinking about how much value for his money he would be getting no matter what crossbow he bought. Excalibur and Kodabow recurves along with maybe a few others exhibit a lot of value for the money spent. I've looked at a few low end Chinese crossbows and even at the low price they were asking for them the value just wasn't there. Some I would of been afraid to even cock after checking out the limbs.

He has a line on a like new Exocet now for $350.00. Said he would offer them $300.00 for it.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax with Twlight DLX
Firebolts with NuFletch Ignitor Lighted Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 grain Broadheads

OhioXBowhunter
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by OhioXBowhunter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Keep your eye on the trading post or Craigslist should be able to find your buddy a good reliable crossbow there to get him started.

User avatar
L. E. Carroll
Posts: 1254
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:32 pm
Location: La Center, WA

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by L. E. Carroll » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:16 am

I currently own 3 pretty ( what I would consider ) expensive Excal. models, especially after up-grading to what I consider to be "Better Scopes". :wink:

Previously, I had other somewhat lower priced Excal models, and up-graded as $ allowed. :D

I will say however, that IMO, you don't have to go "Chinese" for a good crossbow at a great price... :wink:
I personally started with a Parker at $200 to my door, ( very lightly used ) that shot in excess of 300 fps and came with a very decent scope, arrows, and cocking rope.

It got me into the ball game and I have no regrets for going that route. :D

Gene
Camo Micro 335 gen. ll " w/ XB30 SR Pro
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ Crossbones scope & a Boo trigger
all w/Camo Munch mounts
Sweet 44 yr. old 73 Bronco
Scamp tralier

ko4nrbs
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by ko4nrbs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:42 am

L. E. Carroll wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:16 am
I currently own 3 pretty ( what I would consider ) expensive Excal. models, especially after up-grading to what I consider to be "Better Scopes". :wink:

Previously, I had other somewhat lower priced Excal models, and up-graded as $ allowed. :D

I will say however, that IMO, you don't have to go "Chinese" for a good crossbow at a great price... :wink:
I personally started with a Parker at $200 to my door, ( very lightly used ) that shot in excess of 300 fps and came with a very decent scope, arrows, and cocking rope.

It got me into the ball game and I have no regrets for going that route. :D

Gene
I considered that route but wanted to stay with what I knew would be reliable and simple. Right or wrong my bias towards compound bows factored into my recommendation. He has shot my Exomax and is sold on recurves now.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax with Twlight DLX
Firebolts with NuFletch Ignitor Lighted Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 grain Broadheads

User avatar
Rambeaux
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 pm
Location: The Bayou State

Re: Money Spent!!

Post by Rambeaux » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:31 am

I bought a couple different wheelies while I let my shoulder heal a bit. I kept going back to my vertical each time. Then I bought a Micro 355. I promptly sold every thing related to a compound after the Micro showed up. Yeah, it's that good!
Micro 355/XV530IR scope/8pt flemish/DB Killers and bumpers/Slick Trick 150's/16.5" Zombie's

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], W.Miguire and 68 guests