Crank verses rope cocking

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Crank verses rope cocking

Post by SEW » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 am

Many vertical bow shooters chased speed, shot greater draw weights than their bodies could deal with on a long term basis, and ended up with a life long injury (shoulder) that could only be mitigated by totally stopping participation in their hobby. Then the shoulder would often become asymptotic and life could go on normally, as long as they didn't shoot vertical bows. Then some went to xbows.

Most compound xbows are 175# or less. Most recurve xbows are , NOW , well over 200#! That's a big difference. The strain on rope cocking a crossbow is primarily on the back. Back damage is much more serious than shoulder injury. In the days when Excalibur xbow draw weight was below 200#, things weren't as serious. Then 200-225# became the norm, then #260, then 290#, then 270# (that felt heavier to me), 280# and these 260,280 and 290 were over longer draw lengths. Repeated rope cocking of these is a receipe for long term, irreversible injury.

I forsee no other crossbow in my inventory than Excalibur. However, I think Excalibur would have been wise to incorporate an integral cocker with the introduction of the M380. At a minimum, some sort of package deal should have been an option with an included C-2. That's just my opinion. One individual's opinion which rarely is correct verses corporate, combined wisdom.
This is coming into play with the Assassin.

Now, for the rest of 99% of us, who have higher poundage Excaliburs, we have 3 choices as I see it: 1) continue to rope cock and risk the high likelihood of permanent and possibly disabiling back injury, 2) get a C-2 , or use our existing C-2 or 3) get the new integral cocker. The few who have used them and talked with me have glowing reviews on the new one. I've read the opposite also but don't know if they've actually tried it.

I see two major advantages of using a wind up cocking device: 1) the cocking is even - the string is pulled back virtually evenly which results in tighter groups. Big deal!! And 2) no back strain, no injury!

A number of us made a bad choice by shooting too high of poundage with a vertical bow and ended up with not being able to continue. To continue making the same kind of mistake, but one with much greater consequences, just seems unwise to me.

Carnivorous

Re: Crank verses rope cocking

Post by Carnivorous » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:25 am

Good post!

I have 2 go to bows.
Micro 280# draw weight. 345fps
Scorpyd DS 130# draw weight 390fps

When I'm feeling sore or want to shoot a bunch of arrows guess which one I reach for? Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of harvest is at hand.

Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:39 am

All I know is the shoulder is the poorest designed joint in the body and will in time become damaged just by the way it functions. This from the ortho that worked on both of mine.The back has a much stronger set of muscles and if you draw correctly should be fine. Ever watch A guy do a deadlift and you just cringe because their form is terrible and a back injury is inevitable. I used to draw my exomax by hand but went to the rope cocker because of trouble getting the string even for accuracy. With the micro I cant pull the weight with out the the reduced draw weight from the cocker. I have a bad back from work but have no issue pulling the draw with proper form. As far as compounds my first had a 50% let off the one I have now has 80% I think that makes a difference too. I personally think most of this speed stuff is getting out of hand if you really need that so much just go get a rifle LOL !

Boo

Post by Boo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:39 am
All I know is the shoulder is the poorest designed joint in the body and will in time become damaged just by the way it functions. This from the ortho that worked on both of mine.The back has a much stronger set of muscles and if you draw correctly should be fine. Ever watch A guy do a deadlift and you just cringe because their form is terrible and a back injury is inevitable. I used to draw my exomax by hand but went to the rope cocker because of trouble getting the string even for accuracy. With the micro I cant pull the weight with out the the reduced draw weight from the cocker. I have a bad back from work but have no issue pulling the draw with proper form. As far as compounds my first had a 50% let off the one I have now has 80% I think that makes a difference too. I personally think most of this speed stuff is getting out of hand if you really need that so much just go get a rifle LOL !
Well written post! There is so much truth to what you say!
If there are no dogs in heaven then I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Random acts of kindness can change the world.
Madness is having a Malinois
Boocustomstrings.com