ten points vs parker

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

ten points vs parker

Postby LC Bowhunter » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:24 pm

Tell me which bow you would pick? The Parker shoots over 320fps the much higher priced 10 point just 280. How much difference will this make? I realy need some help? Thanks LC
LC Bowhunter

Postby GaryL » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:13 pm

My son's TenPoint Q4 elite shoots at 318fps with a 424gr bolt, what TenPoint are you comparing the Parker with :?:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Postby Digger » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:22 pm

Ten Point Pro Elite shoots 313 fps as does the Elite QX and the QX models. The lite models shoot 280 and 290 fps.

Excalibur Exocet 200 does 330 fps and the Pheonix 310 and cost less.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Digger

Re: ten points vs parker

Postby Woody Williams » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:01 pm

LC Bowhunter wrote:Tell me which bow you would pick? The Parker shoots over 320fps the much higher priced 10 point just 280. How much difference will this make? I realy need some help? Thanks LC

I'd go with the Ten Point if you think you need/want a compound croassbow. In my opinio they are a better quality bow than the Parker.

The QX4 does 313 fps with a 420 grain (total) arrow. Plenty of KE..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at HUNT-INDIANA
Woody Williams

cbow

Postby terry-1 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:02 pm

I had a ten point stealth(old model) it shoot well and was well built but really heavy. I bought a used paker last year it was lighter but didn't seem to be as well built as my ten point and excalibur cbows are. I have a vixen and exocet now and will be sticking with them for a long while. IF I had to pick one of the cbows you listed it would be the 10 pt.
terry-1

Postby GREYWOLF » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:29 pm

:D I have shot both and the parker scares me because it does not have an alumn. rail system , most of the better bows like ten point, bear, horton and of course EXCALIBUR all use alumn. . If you want a compound bow check out the bear f-340 it's a quality bow and very well made it is fast and wont break the bank. But of course nothing can touch an EXCALIBUR but that is just my opinion GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
GREYWOLF

Postby Partikle » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:15 am

Faster does not equal better. Some of the manufactures have bows that shoot well over 330 fps and are very cheap. Look for quality, reliability and accuracy. You get what you pay for.
Partikle

Which one "fits" you best

Postby doegirl » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:16 pm

I have a tenpoint crossbow and a parker compound bow. I can tell you both are topnotch quality equipment. I too looked at Parker crossbow and came to the conclusion that they are way too unwieldy for me. If you're are a big guy, then that's o.k.
Be careful of advertised speed ratings. Sure, you can get 330fps with brand x crossbow, but with what? A 330grain bolt, a 420grain bolt, 500gr? Tenpoint advertises their xbows speed shooting a 420grain bolt. If any manufacturer fails to tell what they shooting to obtain the speeds they are advertising, I'd be suspicious.
By the way, the 280fps Tenpoint your talking about is the entry level Titan model. My elite lite is a scaled down version of the QX-4. It does 287fps with a 420 grain bolt. It fits me perfectly, very maneuverable, and it's got plenty of pop (76 footpounds of KE). The only thing I can't hunt with it is lion, cape buffalo, elephant, and rhino (min 80#s KE).
Honestly, I think you should bust out the wallet and lay down your hard earned cash on a Tenpoint ProElite or El.ite QX 4. Good luck....
"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
-Thomas Jefferson
doegirl

Postby JDMiller » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:45 pm

Alright guys I'm new to the forum but I"ve been visiting hear for awhile .I really need to tell yall thanks for all the help you have given me to get started with crossbows . Yall just didnt know it . Its been greatly appreciated .

I'm new to crossbows but not new to archery . I've been shooting conventional bows for over 25 years. I got interested in crossbows because of a torn tendon in my draw arm is giving me a fit to draw and hold my compound. After our extended season was approved in March I purchased a Parker Terminator Hunter all decked out . In my part of the country your main choices are Parker , Ten Point , Horton and Barnett .Most pro shops were stocking up for the expected demand and I got to shoot a few models . Short of pictures I have never even seen a Excalibur .

The cost was a determining factor for me . I was new to crossbows and honestly did not want to get more than $500.00 in any brand till I was sure crossbows were the way to go . My Mathews dealer was also a Parker dealer with excellent service so I went that route . So far I have no complaints . The stock is more like my conventional guns with no indentions and feels really good to shoulder . I really like the trigger and safety mechanism its quiet and has pretty light pull . The top of the reciever is dovetailed (Weaver style) and was equipped with a Symmons red dot scope (single dot/ my option). The jury is out on this one. I dont like being dependant on batteries but it has sited in well and low light conditions will be a plus . The limbs are very good quality. They are equipped with super cams that are very smooth. The string is very similar to 450 that I shot on conventional bows. The serving is Diamondback its holding up pretty good at the lock up point . The front end is held with 1 main bolt and two smaller bolts through the top .No problem with this so far . The rails are a synthetic/ teflon material. They are replaceable but show no sign of wear with the shooting I have been doing (A LOT). The rail system is the only area for improvement but actually may have a good system . Time will tell .

It came equipped with what appears to be a Bohning Linx 4 arrow quiver that seems to work very good . 4 Super Carbon Magnum Bolts which were fletched with Duravanes that I ended up changing to feathers . Limbsaver stuff was already installed and for a crossbow it shoots awfully quite and I think the rail system plays into that .

Overall its pretty nice setup and shoots real good . It likes 125 Wasp Hammer SST very well . I dont believe in brand bashing and if I were more experienced with crossbows my choice may have been something different . I'm very pleased with what I got and honestly dont matter to me what everyone shoots . Were all hunters , shooters and sportsmen(women)and I dont believe in knocking anyone for what they shoot . I've heard enough of that , with what went on in my state .
JDMiller

Postby Woody Williams » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:26 am

Hi JDMiller..

Welcome to posting on the Excalibur website.

I had seen on KY hunting where you posted that you lurked over here.

Glad you finally started posting.

Folks,

If anyone can get the most out of any crossbow I do believe it will be JDMiller. He takes his shooting and hanuting very seriously.

Again welcome and hope to see a lot of your posts here.

Enough said about the "crossbow situation" in KY :x
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at HUNT-INDIANA
Woody Williams

Postby JDMiller » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:56 am

Thanks Woody for the vote of confidence .

It's nice to be able to talk about crossbows and using them instead of constantly justifying them . I know there is a lot of forum members from Canada on here . Had the oppertunity to do some pike , lake trout and small mouth fishing at High Winds Lake near Kenora . Best fishing I have ever seen. Beautiful country ! I hope I can get back and try their bear hunting real soon .
JDMiller

Postby bj » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:24 am

just a couple of comments on the two bows...i have shot and used a couple of ten point bows...actually had an opportunity to do some speed and accuracy testing with them...they shot fine and generated the speeds that were advertised for them...when it came down to pin point accuracy from controlled conditions (rest, etc), the safari classic outshot the two tenpoints in the accuracy department...this was after all of the bows had been checked for cam timing...(one titan had steel cables as i recall - this was a year or so ago)...at the closer ranges the differences were minimal, but with factory carbons that were supplied with the Parker bow, the bow shot inside groups of both ten points at 50 yards (after we "adjusted" the moon nocks supplied, with a flat nock system...there is a lot of foc on the bolt combo as it is supplied with a 125 grain field point from the package...(flat nocks shoot far better than the moon nocks in the parker bows...not sure why they insist on putting them on - we've been over this with them ! :roll: ) ...the ten point triggers were great, but the parker trigger is one fine piece of craftsmanship...it almost reminds me of a fine pistol trigger as of course we had to take it apart and see what made it tick :shock: ...bottom line is that all of the bows shot well and it strickly has to be a matter of choice...for hunting type scenerios, all of the bows are great...off a sand bag as mentioned, the parker bow definitely was a "bit more accurate and consistent"...if the ten point has one downfall (on the bows we tested anyhow - they may have changed this now ?)...as far as i was concerned (my opinion only) i did not like the fact that the trigger area, was partly unguarded...realizing that the safety is on most times anyway this is probably not an issue, but it was worth noting in my own mind...on the other hand, both bows had anti dry fire mechanisms installed while the ten point system seemed to be far superior in manufacture ...the parker stock is much longer (longer than the excalibur stocks also) which made the bow a bit more comfortable to shoot in an unsupported, freestanding position (for me anyway)...something worth noting is that the main limb bolt on all of the parker bows should be locktited into position...this is not noted in the assembly instructions...i have since did up a parker bow for myself (the safari classic - although all three parkers are basically the same) and i have used it successfully in a few 3d tournaments and have had it as a second bow for the hunting season - 2nd to my exomag of course 8) ...all of this from the "real cheap seats"...

wayne
wayne.jones@pei.sympatico.ca
bj

Postby ALINALBERTA » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:59 am

Hi bj. In your post you pointed out the Titan comes with steel cables. I am a little curious if that is a good thing or a bad thing as I have a Titan,actually two now? Is there anything I should know concerning them?
... Thanks,Al.
ALINALBERTA

Postby bj » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:19 pm

ALINALBERTA wrote:Hi bj. In your post you pointed out the Titan comes with steel cables. I am a little curious if that is a good thing or a bad thing as I have a Titan,actually two now? Is there anything I should know concerning them?
... Thanks,Al.

usually steel cable will slow the bow down a bit...i suppose that's a bad thing if you are a speed freak...(i'm not - i'd rather have it hit where i'm pointing it first, and then we can push the speed button)...steel is steel though...that's the good thing...no cables to stretch (so to speak), if looked after, they will virtually last forever...bottom line, getting 280 fps with a cable (s) that have virtually no stretch and can last forever, i think you've got a good thing going - especially, now that you have two of them :wink: ...good luck with the bows...they're top notch equipment... 8)
wayne.jones@pei.sympatico.ca
bj

Postby ALINALBERTA » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:04 pm

Thanks for the info,bj. I sorta went uh-oh when I saw the special mention of steel cables :shock: ,I guess I can go back to no worries for now again! :D

Al.
ALINALBERTA

Return to Crossbow Hunting