Cheap Muzzleloaders - Real Cheap...

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Cheap Muzzleloaders - Real Cheap...

Post by Woody Williams » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:47 pm

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:59 am

CVA had some problems with their barrels two years or so ago. They had a huge recall....many people complained about extremely poor groupings. Apparently the barrels were at fault.

I bought a Traditions Tracker 209 .50 cal inline for $155.00 Can plus taxes. It handles 150 grain loads! It's light and very accurate once you have found the right combo powder load and tip/bullet. It uses the 209 shotgun primers...hang-fires just never happen!

I also have a Lyman Trade Rifle which is a really well made traditonal percusion cap. It is much more sensitive to humidity and ignition. Using Hogdon's new Triple Seven with a slightly bored out nipple, it is almost flawlwess...but it took a lot of tinkering to get it shooting with no hang fires in bad or winter-like weather.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.

Rick Teal

Post by Rick Teal » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:26 pm

Woody:

That is quite a deal.

Woodsman:

I bought a Traditions in-line from LeBaron this summer, and I think its quite the deal. When I started muzzle loading 20 years ago standard was 1 grain of BP for each unit of calibre as a base load , with 1 1/2 as a heavy load and never to exceed 2 grains per calibre. That would mean 50-75-100 grains in my Traditions. There has been a thread going on over at Huntamerica where they are questioning 150 grain loads in CVA and Traditions guns due to lack of uniform proofing methods. It might be worth a read.

Rick

wabi

Post by wabi » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:48 pm

Rick,
I caught a little bit of the controversy over the thread. I guess the originator has now been banned from the CVA forum :lol:
In all fairness to the companies, I would think they are pretty confident their product will stand a heavy load, or they would not be recommending it in today's law suit oriented society. I own a T/C Omega which is capable of handling 150 grain charges. I have fired 150 grain charges. I see no need to go that heavy for normal shooting, or deer hunting. 100 grains is more accurate, plenty powerful, and much less painful :D
wabi

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:32 am

My hunting loads are usually 100 to 110 grains. I have only shot 150 grains here and there to try. My barrel is quite thick compared to my lyman which only recommends 100 grains max in .54 caliber.

If you haven't given it a try, the new Triple Seven FFF is a superb powder. You need far less powder and get a sharp clean ignition...just like a shotgun! We did tests last year, and found 70 grains of triple seven gave more fps than 110 grains of goex clearshot FF. The Triple Seven costs more for a pound, but you need far less and it ignites much easier. (We had been doing some winter target shooting).
Pete

too_pointer

Post by too_pointer » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:45 pm

On the 777, they have reduced the charge to equal pyrodex.I too have bought the pellets for my TC Encore, but have not tried it yet. I was shooting 100 grs. pellets of pyrodex. I am interested in the easier cleaning and maybe better accuracy. Never tried 150 grs.
too_pointer

turkeywacker

Has anyone in Canada seen deals Like This???

Post by turkeywacker » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:16 pm

I have been thinking about starting to hunt using a muzzleloader and all the guns I've seen are abput $300 plus. Has anybody seen any deals recently? I'd definetly pay $155+ tax like Woodsman. What kind of groupings can you get with these things? :lol:

Thanks in Advance!

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:01 pm

My 209 Tracker groups about 3 inches at 100 yards. They are not long range weapons...although some manufacturers claim they shoot well out to 200 yards! Accuracy is as good as a finer slug barreled shotgun. 125 yards is a far shot. 75 yards is a comfortable shot.

Target shooting can be a load of fun. Concocting loads with different weight bullets is part of the pleasure.
Pete

JRS

Post by JRS » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:06 pm

Turkeywacker

Check out the link below. They are from Manitoba so there is no PST in Ont. Traditions Tracker 209 In-line for $164.99. You can also get a NEF break open muzzlerloader for $200.

www.sirmailorder.ca

wabi

Post by wabi » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:23 pm

I tried T-7 in two guns and wound up with rust in both! It didn't do any damage, as I check them often, but I'm kinda put-off on T-7. I've used BP, Pyrodex, Clearshot, and Cleanshot over the years, and always used the same cleaning procedure - (water, hot water, dry patches, WD-40, dry patches, gun oil/lube) - and never had rust! T-7 in two guns & those two rusted! Back to BP & Pyrodex!!!! Plus it's cheaper to shoot!
wabi
wabi

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:32 am

...rust from Triple Seven? It's supposed to be very clean to shoot...I will have to check more carefully the next time out. I haven't experienced any rust yet! I use a little dish soap for the cleaning with the water....maybe that's the difference? ....and I NEVER use oil! WD-40 only.
Pete