Exomag vs Exocet

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Andy in Cincinnati

Exomag vs Exocet

Post by Andy in Cincinnati » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:22 pm

I am trying to decide between the Exomag vs Exocet. I am 6'2 210 but still worried about pulling 200lb 40 times at the target range. Do most people use the cocking aid? I am leaning towards the lighter Exocet for that reason. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2nd question. Would you reccomend a scope or site pins?

If you use a scope, is the Vari zone scope worth it our should I stick with the Max zone.

Thanks for your help.

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:33 pm

It's a WIN-WIN situation..

But I would go with Exomag and don't look back IF it is primarily a hunting crossbow...

Go with the Varizone and don't look back..

In 3D The time lapse between targets gives you enough time to recover.

Be aware that for IBO you can not shoot faster than 300 fps if that is your aim.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:37 pm

Andy, I'm 5'-9" and 170-180# (I'm not telling :wink: ).

I can cock the 200# Exomag 40 times at a 3D shoot, but I'm not going to say it's easy. I always use the rope aid, I think I'd do physical harm to myself without it. After the 40 round, I'm aware that I did work, but it's not excrutiating. Maybe as I get older I'll think differently. :wink:

The scope vs. pins? Go with the scope absolutely without a doubt. The Maxzone will be fine if you choose a lightweight arrow and stick with it, the Varizone lets you switch to different weights and still have the same range reference markings for each setup.

Mike

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:27 pm

I'm 6' 1" tall and 190 lbs and own the Exomag. The Exomag will be easy for you to pull with the rope cocker. Being tall makes it much easier to pull the additional length of the Exomag. I can pull it with bare hands, but only here and there...certainly not 40 times! Most everyone here uses the rope cocker. It ensures a perfectly cocked arrow everytime and reduces the effort in half. There is a one(1) inch longer rail on the Exomag and that's where it gets the additional 25 lbs.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.

wabi - not logged in

Post by wabi - not logged in » Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:37 pm

Andy in Cinci,
I have the Exocet because I like to be able to cock it without the rope aid. If you're shooting 3-D the Exocet would be about the max speed/power yoy would want anyway. There are a few forum members in the Cinci area and perhaps one of them could get with you and let you shoot a few times if you are new to Excalibur. I live about an hour east of Cinci. You are welcome to contact me & if you'd like to drive a few miles I'd let you try the Exocet.
I'd recommend a vari-zone scope for any of the Excaliburs.
wabi

Jim C

Post by Jim C » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:24 pm

I think this might be the fellow who came to the range today. I think he wants an exocet. The exomag is pretty much overkill in Ohio and abusive to cock IMHO

Andy in Cincinnati

Post by Andy in Cincinnati » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:30 pm

Thanks for everyones help. I spoke with Jim at his store and plan on ordering an Excalibur later this week. I will order the varizone scope and an exocet. I just think the 200 lb pull will get to be too much. I plan on ordering carbon bolts with a 100 grain broadhead. I will read up on other postings to figure out if I should get mechanical or fixed blades.

Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:24 am

Andy, sounds like a winning combination :D

I chose the Exomag and later went to the Varizone scope, but I would have no problem hunting with an exocet :wink:

I do perfer the Varizone scope tho, it is the better scope for me :)

leo