Lost game.

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:10 pm

Carl from Vermont wrote: Regarding vitals on critters, from chipmunks to bear I think a shot tight behind the shoulder or elbow will do the trick.
I agree.... moose, deer, bear, shoot for the same spot...
Ontario Trophy Bucks

Outdoorz

Double-lung shot bears

Post by Outdoorz » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:57 pm

Guest wrote:Fifthly, a double lung hit will cause a Bear to bleed from the nose. Look for blood on leaves at a bears nose level.
No offense, but I have yet to see a black bear travel further than 50 yards when double-lunged with a broadhead. They just don't make it as far as whitetails.

John

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:30 pm

Sorry to have caused a debate on shot placement for Bear.
I was simply trying to assist the hunter who started the thread.

As far as correct shot placement, i was just as shocked when i learned the vitals on a Black Bear are further back than deer and moose.

I learned this during an Archery Safety Course a number of years ago.
The safety course was to ahve been mandatory for archers in Ontario.
However, that didn't transpire.
The instructors used minature ethafoam deer and bear figures complete with removeable hide to expose the vitals.
It was interesting to see a demonstration of shot placement using a push pin as the arrow and which vitals were actually affected on both animals.
Simply put, the vitals are farther back on a bear.
I've stuck by this since and instruct people who hunt bears with me to do same.
Unfortunatley, too many believe that shot placement should be identical to
a Bear McKenzie target.

This is well documented in a number of bear hunting video's as well

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:20 am

Guest...,

I think you need to defer to the many experienced bear hunters on this forum. They know their shite.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:42 am

So worldy bear hunting guest, I think it time for you to go back to your mother's b*&%*@^.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:41 am

A question for the experienced Bear Hunters on this site.

How do you get a nocturnal bruin to come to bait during legal shooting hours?

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:03 am

Which guest is which?

Would the guest who has killed 27 bears please register?

Mike

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:08 am

I didn't intentionally hide myself as GUEST.
I'm a newbie on this site and forgot to login.

Anywho, i'm the guy who posted some of my opinions on Bear shot placement being different than deer and moose.
And asked the question about nocturnal bears.
I was thinking the question could help out the thread about Chase's Bear Hunt.

chris4570

Post by chris4570 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:12 am

Thanks for all your guys input. Even though "it's bound to happen sooner or later", it still sucks when it does. I will make a trip to look for the bear this weekend, maybe fruitless, but I don't like giving up. Besides maybe I'll see some other bears as I walk through the woods.

As far as shot placement, I'll shoot a bear as I would a deer, the exception being if I were using a rifle I would try to break the offside shoulder. Most mammals are built very similar to one another. If you get an arrow or a bullet into the thorax you will be damaging either lung, heart or major blood vessels, or all three.

TB

Post by TB » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:59 am

I've shot dozens of deer and a dozen huge moose. I work at the Ontario Vet College so I've seen thousands of autopsied animals and I agree with Vince you CAN NOT shoot a bear like you do a deer . Their chest curves in very quickly inbetween their front legs making a behind the shoulder or a shoulder shot a wounded and very pissed bear.( Don't be decieved by the long chest hair.)I learned this a few years ago on my first bear hunt this happened to me. I wounded a bear because I shot it like a deer. Later that week another hunter got a 350LB bear and when I helped gut it out I couldn't believe anatomically how different they are to any other species. I was later told to divide the bear in half and to hit the lungs aim just forward of the half.

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:57 am

All i can say is, this past spring i shot a bear with the crossbow, about 6" behind the shoulder and he went down at approx 50-60 yards from where it was hit... This was my first bear with archery equipment, however i have shot 4 bears in the same spot with a firearm as well without losing any..You are right about the long hair, though, on a bear i aim about 4-5 inches higher than i would on a deer, but it is still the same spot, only on a different body structure/frame.. You also have to keep in mind that a bear's vitals are only approx an 8 inch area, and, that's when you have it standing broadside to you. That is one reason why it is recommended that you should always wait for the bear to move his leg forward before you take a shot, also to avoid hitting heavy leg bone..
Ontario Trophy Bucks

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:57 pm

Anonymous wrote:So worldy bear hunting guest, I think it time for you to go back to your mother's b*&%*@^.
We don't need this type of talk..

Please delete the post..

I'm sure a very large majority of us on here appreciate all the information that people post on here. What works for one might not for another.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:14 pm

We don't need this type of talk..

Please delete the post..
I'm sure a very large majority of us on here appreciate all the information that people post on here. What works for one might not for another.
I agree, no need to start using that kinda talk, it is very disrespectful...
Ontario Trophy Bucks