What is your favorite deer lure?

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OK. DEER HUNTER

What is your favorite deer lure?

Post by OK. DEER HUNTER » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:16 pm

Mine is Trails End #307 and Tinks 69 during the rut.
For God so loved archers that he gave his only son in sacrifice for our sins. God will bless you with the flesh of the earth and is willing to help them who are willing to help themselves to mega bucks if you ask and he will!!

Kdog

Deer Lure

Post by Kdog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:49 am

FOOOOODDDDD!!!!!! They always need to eat. I have used lots of scents in my time, and have only found 2 that work consistently during the rut. The best in my mind is "Horny Buck Lure". It is collected at a local game ranch (Yellow River Game Ranch) here in GA. You can purchase it online. I know one of the operators and he gives me some every year when he has a doe go into heat. Thats the only time to collect it. The other is Code Blue. It worked for me on two occasions last year when I was waiting for the Horny Buck Lure.

Question is, do they really come in ready and looking for a receptive doe, or are they curious to see what that stinkin stuff is? :roll: :wink: :D I have had them follow in a drag line and I have had them just stop and come over to it. The main thing to remeber, is that they have to be in the area already in order to get a whif of it.

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:35 am

Most of the time this stuff doesn't work.

I have had a little success with Jackies using a Pee Willy Wick.

The best succes I've ever had was with fox urine on my boots. I was using it as a cover scent for my trail and the buck thought he had a"fox" in heat...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:10 am

Woody, I must agree with you. Last year I used doe urine and felt like it repelled deer! (this was not doe-in-heat lure). My feeling is they smelled it and didn't recognize the scent to any deer in that area and stayed away. I will be using fox scent as well since it seems to calm them knowing the elusive fox passed this way before.

...at least that's my theory and take on it.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.

turkeywacker

Post by turkeywacker » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:32 am

I have been using "Hawgs BF-Pre/Post Rut" for a couple of years. This stuff really seems to work well. I find a scrap, spray a little of this stuff on it and a couple of days later the scrape is even bigger. Who knows if its any good? But the deer don't seem to be afraid of it and they mess around with the areas that I have put it. It is also 100% synthetic and the makers say it has an unlimited shelf life.
Last edited by turkeywacker on Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:42 am

Guess I don't really have a favorite, I've used Tink's 69 and a few others but don't know that they have ever really worked, at least not that I've noticed. I suppose I'll still use them occasionally just in case they do work. :? :)

huntin1 :)

tcthomas

lures

Post by tcthomas » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:19 pm

I still haven't made up my mind about scent lures either. I have 4 racks down in the basement that were from bucks coming in to the scent of Tinks 69. Three of them were nose down coming in on a string strait for me. The fourth crossed my scent trail (I had put some on the bottom of my boots when I changed position from one side of a swale to the other) and he turned and followed my footsteps right to me. On the other hand, I've seen situations like someone mentioned earlier where I was about positive the deer avoided me because of the scent. As mentioned before, the deer have to be in the area to smell it, you have to be using the right scent for the right time of year. and on top of that, it seems the deer have to be in the right mood when they smell it. I'll be checking back to see what other's experiences have been with scent lures. I'm definitely still learning.

Tim

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:05 pm

Hey TC,

Are you the same TCthomas from Woody's?

Do you shoot a Jennings Model T?
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:01 pm

Code Blue estrus works well. A couple years ago I was in a stand and a doe popped out of some hemlocks, nervously looking back over her shoulder as she trotted away. A couple minutes later a decent 8 pointer came out where the doe had appeared. He stopped trailing the uncooperative doe and beelined straight to the Code Blue I had on a scent wick. I let him come in to about 30 yards and and tagged out.
Its expensive, but worth it.

tcthomas

Post by tcthomas » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:21 am

Woody,

No, I guess there's more than one tcthomas. I have no idea what Woody's is. :? This is the only board I post to.

Tim

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:04 pm

Man ... I'm a big fan of Tinks 69 ! I pour the stuff over my corn flakes in the a.m. during the rut !

I've had the same experience as tcthomas ... bucks tracking you down !

It can be NG if you use it too early ! Older wary bucks seem to know something ain't right ! Young bucks seem horny all the time and will come for a look !

Fox cover scent on the boots is excellent as well ! I prefer it to any other .

Does anybody remember Fred Trouste from The old Michigan Out of Doors from years back ? Ask him about scents ! He got in loads of trouble in this debate catagory !!
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "

chris4570

Post by chris4570 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:25 pm

I don't bother with lures, however I do use either fox or raccon cover scent. Both are rather benign critters and can be found in just about any forest deer inhabit. I also, always, wear rubber boots. 16" high with my pant legs tucked in to avoid. as much as possible, scent from brushing up against the understory.

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:34 pm

Mostly the Tinks 69 for me, i have tried others, but i always go back to the Tinks...
They also have a new Gel type on the market...
I use raccoon urine for my walk in trail and as a cover for treestand hunting..
Ontario Trophy Bucks