Meat

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Meat

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:02 pm

The Meaning of Meat

Look at how we especially we hunters, who should comprehend the significance and meaning of meat treat it. The worst offenders are the wanton destroyers of game those who set out to kill animals with no intention of retrieving any part of them, their fevered brains making them just want to see something hit the ground. Then come the needless wasters who will shoot an animal for its horns or antlers, or for its hindquarters and back straps, and leave the rest.

Beyond such criminal disrespect of game meat lies a spectrum of possibly legal, but certainly unethical, behavior. And somewhere in there falls what I term the 'technical hunter'.... The technical hunter can be methodical, skilled and proficient when it comes to stalking and killing game. He will even care for an animal after the kill, making sure all of it gets packed out and then cut and wrapped. He will stack it neatly in his freezer, and there it will sit until he can either give it away to friends or donate it to the hungry. But he will never eat any of it himself, claiming he just doesnt like the taste.... Its as if he has 20/20 vision, except for a single blind spot that conceals from him the axis that runs through meat to the hunt.

Then there are those hunters who couldnt care less about what happens to a game animal after they've filled their tag. One game processor I talked with told me that up to 40 percent of the big game he receives arrives with some sort of spoilage, contamination, blood-shooting or worse much of it brought in even by professional outfitters and that the hunters, brought up on plastic-wrapped cow that appears as if by magic in the supermarkets, fully expect him to turn such offal into choice cuts of meat without having to throw away an ounce.

Hunters who care too much ruin game meat too. They fail to get the animal off the ground so that body heat can dissipate quickly. Or they will painstakingly roll an animal belly-down after dressing it to prevent debris from falling onto exposed meat, and in so doing create a trap for holding in meat-spoiling heat. They may even go so far as to pack the carcass with snow, in the misguided belief that this will aid in chilling, and succeed only in insulating the meat so it can sour faster.

Hopefully, no one on this forum falls in to the above pools of "hunters".

Excerpted from, The Meaning of Meat, Thomas McIntyre, Sports Afield, August 1997.

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:32 am

As i have always said, i am a meat hunter. If i get lucky and harvest a big racked buck, its just a bonus to me...
Ontario Trophy Bucks

bj

Post by bj » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:59 am

is he saying here, that someone for whatever reason, that does not like the taste of venison is not a "hunter", or shouldn't pursue game for that reason or intent ??...just curious here...
Last edited by bj on Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:07 pm

Carl from Vermont wrote:He will stack it neatly in his freezer, and there it will sit until he can either give it away to friends or donate it to the hungry. But he will never eat any of it himself, claiming he just doesnt like the taste.... Its as if he has 20/20 vision, except for a single blind spot that conceals from him the axis that runs through meat to the hunt.
bj wrote:is he saying here, that someone for whatever reason, that does not like the taste of venison is not a "hunter", or shouldn't pursue game for that reason or intent ??...just curious here...
Here's my take on it. You don't have to like the taste of it to be a hunter. You still have a right to hunt as long as you are ethical. The bottom line is though, you need an avenue to utilize the meat (charity, friends, etc) 100% and do everything possible to prevent any waste. If you plan on wasting it, get out of the woods! (I like duck hunting but I don't like duck. I eat every duck I shoot, however.)

That being said, if you don't like properly cared for venison, there's probably no help for you..... :wink:

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:39 pm

I stopped hunting hare in the winter because thay tasted like spruce needles! I really liked hunting them, but can't get passed what my dad taught me growing up, "If you're not going to eat it, don't shoot it."

I also love pike fishing up north in the spring, but I am not a big pike eater. We put back every single fish we catch. I take a picture before releasing the fish....even if its a monster trophy!!! A picture is more than enough. Once in a while we may have some fillets, but that's rare.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.