Cutting Deer

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cutting Deer

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:30 pm

Just curious how much boned meat that everyone gets from a deer. I figure its about 40+% of the weight of a clean dressed deer. Does that sound about right???

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:40 pm

Yes, that's what I get out of a deer and moose too.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.

R.J. not logged in

Post by R.J. not logged in » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:00 am

Sounds about right to me ...

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:09 am

Bstout....What do you do with the ribs? :?: Do you debone them too?
ComfyBear
Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Exomax, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Custom Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

He is served best, he who serves himself.
Cavendi sunt qui dona ferens.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:21 am

ComfyBear...Very quickly and generally the rib meat ends up in stews or the pressure cooker getting canned.

I really like cutting up clean venison into about two inch cubes and stuffing it into pint jars along with about a quarter of a teaspoon of salt. Then into the pressure cooker for about an hour. My wife and I both work and when we get home neither of us feels like cooking generally. Pull one of these pints of canned venison out of the cupboard and nuke it for about one and a half minutes and serve it open face over bread.

It doesn't get any better than this! All on paper plates as well and no waiting in aisle one!

Big Mac

cutting up venison

Post by Big Mac » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:48 am

As a meat cutter,I have found that the marrow from the bones of wild game, can change the flavour of your meat to a large degree,hunting in cooler weather has an advantage as I can let my venison hang with skin off over night, & in AM it is boned out & in a freezer with in a short period of time, great care must be taken during the gutting of an animal to keep the meat free from contamination from hair,fecal matter,ponch contents and olso, be very careful not to cut the bile duct, as it will spoil the meat on contact. We put a lot of time & effort & expenseinto our hunting,So I feel we owe it to ourselves & the animals we hunt,to put the best quality game on the table as possible
I have seen some hunters shoot an animal, and then try to dress it,when they were done,it looked like it had been dressed by two back hoes, and they wonder why there meat was poor!!!!
A sharp knife and a little care and info.can make meals a lot more enjoyable!!! Good hunting to all

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:42 am

Here is a link to a site, it has detailed information on skinning, field dressing, butchering, ect...There is also alot of other useful information for the bowhunter on this site...

http://ca.geocities.com/petergward/home.htm
Ontario Trophy Bucks

LoneWolf

Re: Cutting Deer

Post by LoneWolf » Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:15 am

Carl from Vermont wrote:Just curious how much boned meat that everyone gets from a deer. I figure its about 40+% of the weight of a clean dressed deer. Does that sound about right???
Half of the weight in meat is what i get on deer.

Out of a 1550lb+ bull moose on the hoof, you get approx 750lbs of meat. That was my brothers bull last year.
Ontario Trophy Bucks