Red squirrel scout

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Red squirrel scout

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:06 am

I was told at a young age that if you were on stand and a Red Squirrel alarmed , you were busted ! and this was a good time to take a stretch or move ... Well as I spent more time in the field I noticed a few things . Sometimes right after a Red Squirrel alarmed or a flock of Blue Jays scolded ... deer appeared ! I proved this to myself a few times and now when I here a Red Squirrel let loose a blue streak of chatter or Blue Jays let fly with some loud scolding calls , I get ready !!

Here are 3 photo's from a day in the field a few years back . It was a beautiful sunny day and a great opportunity for photo's .

The Red Squirrel on a tree in front of me starts to chatter ... up till now he has ignored me , or he doesn't see me ...

Soon after a young button buck walks out . I like to take a photo using the same opportunity I would if I were to take a bow shot , so I wait for him to put his head behind a tree and offer an exposed vital shot ... 5 yards

Another trick I learned is before I walk across a plowed field I pull some garbage bags over my boots and tuck them in the tops . This way you can peel them off at the base of your tree and with them all the heavy mud you usally collect when you cross a muddy field . Thus , no large pieces of mud fall off your boots through the expanded metal of your tree stand base platform . Nothing worse then having globs of mud hit the leaves below at a crutial moment !

Anyway ... this little button buck walks into the field and makes a beeline right to the base of my tree and starts to lick and sniff the garbage bags ... must have been the doe in heat scent that got him going ... I let him sniff and I struggle to get into position for this photo .. 3 yards

In summary .... keep your eyes open when you hear the Blue Jays let go and The Red Squirrels chatter ... they can turn out to be good scouts and see deer long before you do !

If you carry your camera on good days you can shoot lots of lesser deer and not have to fill a tag ! You practice and hone your hunting skills at the same time !

My $ 0.02
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:10 am

Kinda gets my blood pumping ... opening day won't be here soon enough . Hope to take all my Excal's out for a walk !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:40 am

THANX FOR ALL THE GREAT PICS AND STORIES RJ !!!!!

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:43 am

RJ: Do you have lots of success using decoys

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:04 am

Guest : I've had some success with them . They work good if you have deer that hang up just inside the bush . Some times a decoy set up well into the field will give them the confidence to enter the field early. I guess they figure it must be OK since those deer are out there .

Some times it freaks them out , especially if you have an older doe that knows all the deer in her area and she's leary of the new comers ...

The main thing is decoys take the attention away from you and your location.

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:05 am

Guest : It's also another dimension to the game .... You got to have some room and access for set up though ..

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:25 am

Rick,

great pics., thanks for sharing.

You have given me the incentive to get my camera out more. The things you end up seeing in the course of a day on stand can be really astounding and it's a shame not to commit it to film. I hope more forum members take this hobby up, as you have made the forum a much more interesting place with your pics.

Mike

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:57 pm

Mikey : I saw your pic's on the weekend ... youre a natural ... I'm sure we will be filling some posts by the time this season is over !