My dog Sally ...

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

My dog Sally ...

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:52 am

A while ago I saw a post with pictures of forum members dogs . I really enjoyed the photo's and If I remeber correctly , Woody had a cat that ran the roost !

I also remember some forum members honoring their hunting partners like when Toms beagle passed . Well I can relate to that . I have raised and trained many and they all worked hard and gave 110 % in the field .

I only have 1 working dog now . She is an 8 year old English Springer Spaniel that I have owned since she was a young pup . Our other dog is a runt Minature Dashund that tags along to keep Sally company on long field trips .

I got my Springer from a friend who is a local breeder and has IMHO the best Springer line in this area.

Here are a few photo's of Sally

2002 Pheasant Opener .

1st Grouse of 2002

Sally and me ..

Early season Goose 2002

Late season Goose 2002

I took the Goose retrieve photos to end the debate with some of my Lab buddies who say Springers are too small to handle large waterfowl ( at least a full body carry ) ... somebody forgot to tell Sally this ! I have owned 3 Springers and several larger German Shorthair and Wirehair pointers over the years . The pointers were also good dogs and could handle Geese with ease ... but what the Springers lack in size they gain in heart and desire .... Sally weights approx 35 lbs and has never denied me a resonable retrieve . If you look at the back of the late season goose retrieve , you will see see just came out of an ice jammed river .

I'm not knocking Labs or any other breeds I love to watch them all at work .

I got a soft spot for a Beagle tongue echo in the bush , it's awesome to see a big Lab on a long distance retrieve and many other breeds do their thing ...
Last edited by R.J. on Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:55 am

BTW if you are a Springer fan , and are wondering why her coat is so short at the start of the season , it's because I keep her shaved and let her fill in as the season progresses . By winter she is full coat ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:43 am

Nice looking pooch! Where did you get the vest? It looks like a dog specific vest...I tried to put a human hunting vest on my Golden Retriever. It doesn't really fit well.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:07 am

Pete : I got it from a Cabela's catalog order . It work's good at the start of the season when her coat is down because ti takes the brunt of the rasberry vine scratches etc.

Evan

Post by Evan » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:23 am

Nice gun R.J. Thanks for sharing the great pics!

Evan

10Ring

Post by 10Ring » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:20 am

Evan wrote:Nice gun R.J. Thanks for sharing the great pics!

Evan
Yes, is that a Remington Peerless :?:
10Ring

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:21 am

RJ - very nice shots of Sally....she's a great dog.

Not nearly as ferocious and intimidating as Spike, though. :shock:

Digger

Post by Digger » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:44 am

R.J. great photos, keep em coming.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity

A.W

Post by A.W » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:42 am

Great pics R.J. Had to do a double take with the last picture couldn't saw Sally at first. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.

A.W

Post by A.W » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:42 am

OOPS.
Last edited by A.W on Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:41 pm

10 : Can't slip any details by you ... yes it is a Peerless .. I shot it for a while until another deal came along .... sold it to a buddy . I had heard some bad things about them brakeing down but I never had a problem with this one and I put it through it's paces in all kinds of weather ...

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:45 pm

Evan : Is there much upland hunting in the Illinois area ?

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:48 pm

Mikey ... I hear ya ! I need to get some pic's of Spike in action ! the boy's call him the " deer hound " , cause he likes to come along when we are tracking deer ... the blood trail seems to stir something in him !

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:51 pm

AW : She can't handle 10 full body retrieves in a row , but never stops trying , she has a trick that my old Springer use to do ... when she gets tired she cocks her head to one side and drags them straight in by the neck !

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:53 pm

Digger : No problem ... more on the way after work tonight :)