Using pre-rut & rut scents

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Outdoorz

Using pre-rut & rut scents

Post by Outdoorz » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:28 pm

Hello all! :D

I just picked up a big bottle of Knight & Hale doe urine, and a small bottle of Tink's #69 Doe-in-heat along with some scentwick felt pads which they advise to soak and hang in a cirle 20yds. around your stand.

Here are my questions:

1. Have you used a scent drag while walking to and around your stand, and if so, have you had good success?
2. How many, and where do you hang urine soaked scent pads around your stand?
3. Have you found plain non-estrus doe urine to be a good attractor early in the season before the rut?
4. When do you start adding the doe-in-heat scent relative to the rut?

Thanks for your replies and any stories you may have, I want to use attractor scents to intelligently to my advantage this year.

John

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:15 pm

OD : I cut/pasted this from a previous post .

Man ... I'm a big fan of Tinks 69 ! I pour the stuff over my corn flakes in the a.m. during the rut !

I've had the same experience as tcthomas ... bucks tracking you down !

It can be NG if you use it too early ! Older wary bucks seem to know something ain't right ! Young bucks seem horny all the time and will come for a look !

Fox cover scent on the boots is excellent as well ! I prefer it to any other .

Does anybody remember Fred Trouste from The old Michigan Out of Doors from years back ? Ask him about scents ! He got in loads of trouble in this debate catagory !!
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:22 pm

The best basic approach is to use a fox cover scent if you think you will cross the deer trail on your way in ... other wise choose your route wisely .

The best scent set up is " be in the right spot " when you set up ! The best scent is no scent ! ( down wind )

If you are in a stand , get high where they can't smell ya.

IMHO too much or overkill scent stratagy can kill ya . because the big boy's will blow out of the neighborhood when they sence something is amiss !

The " keep it simple " creeo applies to scent applications !

Mt $ 0.02
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "