scouting success

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GonHuntin

scouting success

Post by GonHuntin » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:19 pm

I did some scouting/treestand maintenance this morning....as I often do, I took my Johnny Stewart predator caller along for some coyote calling before I worked on the stands.......I made a set up in a highline that has produced coyotes several times over the years.......about 10 minutes into the call, I looked down in the draw and out walked a nice 10 point buck!!!! This is nothing new to me, I have called in deer many times......but this old boy wasn't really coming to the call, he was just feeding on his way to bed.....I watched him though the scope of the 22-250 for 15 minutes and saw him enter a thicket and never came out.......the thicket was in plain view of territory I had to cross......so I put in a pup distress tape to get him out of the area.......I figured it would spook him less than seeing me......the pup distress did the trick.....after about 3 minutes I saw him ease out the other side headed away.......but now, he had a companion..... couldn't tell for sure, he was at least a 6 and very possibily and 8.......neither buck spooked, they just wondered off as I had hoped they would......later, the scouting produced a new stand site......a creek crossing where 3 major trails intersect with BIG buck sign in the area!!!! Anybody want to guess where I'll be opening day?

R.J. not logged in

Post by R.J. not logged in » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:28 pm

Sounds like a sweet location !

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:17 pm

A deer hunter's dream location! 8)
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.

Digger

Post by Digger » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:20 am

Looks like you've found great spot.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage