Hunter Mike from Mississauga

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Hunter Mike from Mississauga

Post by chris4570 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:42 pm

You must be talking about the Credit River, when you say you have deer in the ravine near where you live. I lived there for most my life and have enjoyed many days hunting with a camera in sections of the Credit. There are some really decent bucks living there. It's a good place to study deer and deer behaviour. To learn. I've seen them in the rut, bucks chasing does, grunting madly. Rubs and scrapes all over the place. Fawns and does. I "hunted" one particular buck for about four or five years. His rubs were BIG. I finally saw him one New Years Day bedded down out in a marshy field, under a tree. I ran back home to grab my camera, rattleing antlers and grunt tube.

I snuck in down wind of him. And rattled for a few seconds. It took a while but I saw him coming my way. I hit the horns again, for a couple of seconds. He kept coming. Closer, and closer. I got him within ten yards, nothing more than a small sapling between him and myself. He wasn't alone, either. Had a small racked eight with him. Thought there might be a tussle. Anyways he was the biggest ten pointer I have seen in the flesh. 2"-3" on either side of his ears and tines 8-10" high. This is the only time I have managed to rattle in a buck, but I learned that sooner or later it can and will work.

Oh, one more thing, if you are looking for some places to hunt, I might be able to help you out. None of it is private land, but the hunting pressure by bow hunters is pretty low. Some of the places, despite being public, see hardly any small game hunters even. I've hunted this one tract of forest on many occassions and have yet to see another hunter. I don't mind sharing a couple of these places. Let me know if you're interested.

Hunter_Mike

Post by Hunter_Mike » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:38 pm

Hey chris.

I love Erindale park its my favourite place. I do alot of salmon, rainbow, borwn fishing there. Iam also a mountain biker i love to moutain bike on the traisl there. Do know know where the little creek is, t's on the other side of the credit, and the university is on the top of the big hill. That little creek is Stacked with bows in the spring and fall. Whenever we go to the little creel its loaded with deer sings. Prints, rubs, you name it. Where are these places located ? Im still interested.

P.S Me and my friend Rob went out for salmon today, We landed two fish, one male and one female. There nice and strong, especially this early and this weather. 8)

A.W

Post by A.W » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:45 am

Hunter_Mike Looks like you're set up for a hunt this year. Well done Chris :wink:

Hunters are always saying that we should encourage young people to get involved. Here we have Hunter_Mike, 16 years of age, he has the equipment and is eager but nowhere to go. Accolades to you Chris. :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.

SpartaJim

Post by SpartaJim » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:47 pm

An excellent example of the "sportsman's alliance" syndrome - hunters helping hunters.

A small globally diversified group of people, our discussion group definitely sets the example when it comes to sharing information and resources. We not only share technical information on various types of equipment, but also our experiences, trials and tribulations, failures and successes, charitable contributions, barter, trade and sell equipment at reasonable costs (normally at a personal loss to the seller/giver, but at a huge benefit to the recipient), and entwined within all of this are the numerous friendships that have resulted as a direct result of this board.

I am fortunate to be a member of this dignified group, and thank all for their participation and contributions.

And chris4570, you deserve 1,000 "at-a-boy"s for your unselfish sharing of what appears to be prime hunting areas to a sportsman you have only met through the good graces of this discussion board. The definition of the term "sportsman's alliance" certainly has your name in it somewhere.

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:49 pm

SpartaJim wrote:and entwined within all of this are the numerous friendships that have resulted as a direct result of this board.

I am fortunate to be a member of this dignified group, and thank all for their participation and contributions.
here-here, SpartaJim.

I second all that....a lot of good has come from this little place in cyber-space.

Hunter_Mike

Post by Hunter_Mike » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:15 pm

Im am very gratful to chris, I might not miss deer season just yet. :) Im going to look into the public land chris is telling me about. I am really gratefully to Chris and I wont forget it.

chris4570

Post by chris4570 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:31 pm

You know, that is what it is all about. Sharing the experience of the great outdoors with others. And so long as there is respect for the game we hunt then I have no problem doing so. I recently brought a friend up to what I consider my most sacred of all places on Earth. He showed the utmost respect for this spot. In turn he has allowed me to hunt on his farm. And the same respect that he showed for "my" place I will show for his.