Shooting straight down out of a treestand?

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:56 am

DON'T DO IT :!:

With a crossbow or a vert, if the angle is too steep, and one takes the shot, one is looking for trouble, and they'll find it.

Once again. DON'T DO IT. :!:

bj

Post by bj » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:44 am

guest said:..."DON"T DO IT !"...specifically, why not ?

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:50 am

I disagree with the guest.

A crossbow is easily shot straight down, using your closest distance pin. Just remember where to shoot, off to the side of the spine at the base of the shoulder. This will give you a single lung shot with an great blood trail.

That said, I would hesitate with the shot, because I am quite certain that a better shot would present itself as the deer walked away.

A contradiction maybe, but if the situation was, a straight down shot is the only shot, I would take it.

Digger

Post by Digger » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:26 pm

I would hesitate to take the shot unless his next step is past you. I would let him walk a few steps and make certain he's in the freezer. 8)

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:58 pm

With a lower powered bow, I'd say no way.

With the Exomag at that range, I'm sure I'll blow right through. My buddy Rick made this shot last November with his Exocet. Right through the spine, and heart. The broadhead penetrated the brisket and the feathers were sticking out the back. The deer did a few flip flops and was dead.

I agree it's probably better to wait for a few steps, but the shot is doable with a powerful crossbow.

Mike

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:07 pm

If all you can see is the top of the back, then the shot is very very questionable. I'd wait for it to take a few more steps away from the tree, until I can see its side.

The reason, unless you're extremely lucky and hit the spine, all you get is a single lung, and a very long tracking job. Odds of not making a recovery are extremely great.

Not my kind of hunting.
ComfyBear
Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Exomax, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Custom Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

He is served best, he who serves himself.
Cavendi sunt qui dona ferens.

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:10 pm

I shot two like that with the Paradox, one in 2001 and the other in 2002, they both dropped right there on the spot, and both of them expired real quick...But, i also agree, it could be a risky shot if it's hit in the wrong spot...
Ontario Trophy Bucks

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:59 pm

Hunting poses a number of different scenarios. Some include what we are talking about here.

We practise, in some cases throughout the summer by shooting 3D or at targets.

Some of us boast our ability to "robin hood" our arrows.

Tell me why this shot is so risky!!! You could make a bad shot while the deer is broadside, thus causing a terrible tracking job.

Why shouldn't we be able to make a consistant clean kill from the top as we do from the side?

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:41 pm

One of my buddies took a nice doe with a vert bow with this shot. Straight down between the shoulders. The deer pulled a wheely and fell over dead right quick like.

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:48 pm

Hit teh spine and you've got a dead deer on the spot. Off to one side you've got a one lung hit deer. One lung hit deer go forever and sometimes don't even die.

If he is right under me chances are very good he will present me with a better shot. Waiting for the right shot is what bowhutning is all about.

Of course this is all just IMHO...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]