Oddest jobs?

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
hankenhunter

Oddest jobs?

Post by hankenhunter » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm bored, bored and more bored. Got all my shootin, chores, and everything else taken care of. So in the spirit of this boredom, let's have a thread about the oddest and weirdest jobs you've ever had. No fake ones like a screen door technician on a submarine. :lol: Me first.
My very first official job was when I was fifteen. I got hired by the local grain elevator to clean and maintain the top floor. This entailed either climbing to the top (150 feet ) up a rickity old ladder or take the extremely scary open sided, rope drawn lift to the top. Once at the top I would arm my self with a broom, open the only window, then throw handfuls of grain at the thousands of small birds that were feedin there. Then stand there and kill as many as I could when they tried to escape through the window. After the carnage was over for the day, I then took my weapon and swept up the little corpses and a lot poop, then chucked them out the window. It wasn't a job I was proud of. But as my father pointed out, the pay was good and youngsters cant afford to be fussy when it comes to jobs. The killing bothered me so I eventually made a cage net that I fitted to the window and live caught at many as I could, stuffed them in a big bird cage, and released them when I got home. My job ended when all the holes in the roof got patched. I was glad as I was promoted to moving and filling grain cars. That's my story. Who's next?
Hank
2010 Equinox The "Beast"
Big John's Zombies with helical blazers
S-5 string stoppers
150 gr. boltcutters, 145 gr. Saunders blunts
Varizone scope
Vixen master string
DaGriz knife

one shot scott

Re: Oddest jobs?

Post by one shot scott » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:20 am

I had a job before this. Ultimately, it was that job that drove me into this. I worked at an aquarium, an aquarium with lots of money from the government so it was HUUUGGEE! I uh I was a clean n' scrub man we called each other in the C n' S union. I scrubbed the inside of the killerwhaletank. and after a while the boys in the C n' S or clean n' scrub we just sort of made it one word: the killerwhaletank, the killerwhaletank, the killerwhaletank uh. I'm going into the killerwhaletank yeah. I got along with these two big beasts so well, it was like they knew me they looked at me with their hundred year old eyes and it was like they knew me. I'd put on my SCUBA gear, my mask, my regulator, and I'd fall into the tank with nary a sound maybe a pfftt. And then I was underwater. Sometimes, I'd jump out, right in front of the window when people are expecting a killerwhale and they see a human, they get spooked. Spooked. Anyway I'd do that. But I was in the water this particular day, unbeknownst to me, Shamu and Bartholomew, their relationship had grown stale, seems I was going in there so much and looking so good, Shamu took a shining to me, and they're so smart those things ya know they've got all these human emotions, love, lust, GREED, hundred year old eye jealousy. Bartholomew was LIVID. Unbeknownst to me I can't hear a damn thing underwater. He came up he was bumping up against me a lot. The stale, killerwhale, bumping up against someone so pale and frail. How was I to know the killerwhale whose relationship had gone stale, well, he brushes up against me sometimes, skin's like sandpaper I say "Hey man, Bartholomew what's up? What's up? What's going on big fella? What is it? What is it? I, I don't wanna steal your mommy, and I sure don't want to take the place of your daddy, I only want to be your friend." And he circled around and I thought we were all patched up and I was scrubbing and he took my- he came up, he came up, he came up, he ripped my left arm off. I mean the killerwhale they're beasts of the deep they're I mean they're quite dossile and friendly in captivity but somewhere along the line, the thousands of years of breeding just snapped and he took my left arm, man he took my left arm, took my ------ left arm. "Wha-What is it Bartholomew?" I spoke to him in a language he could understand, as I came back...............................................................................................no actually this is from Gord Downy from the Tragically hip. I was never part of the c&s union. My worst job was working for half a day when I was a spam for a French guy in Ontario pruning roses. What an ass he was. I left only half a day and I should have left much sooner, but I had dedication I tell ya.... 2nd worse was picking rocks out of a field. Yep, picking rocks sure beat working for that Dude.
sorry Hank, I guess I broke one of your rules, but I cant top your story man!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
867-5309

BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Picking rocks... whats so bad about about that? I picked rocks for many years growing up on a dairy farm, but picking yellow rocket was a lot worse. lol We used to get paid .10 for every gunny sack full, and it took us about a week to pick every one on the farm... ah the memories :)
But my worst job was when I worked for a guy pumping manure pits. We used about 2 miles of 8 inch clamp together pipe in 20 foot sections. One day I was on the 3 wheeler and went back to check how much was left. The weeds were pretty tall around the pit and when I pulled up along side the wheeler flipped over upside down into the tip.... with me still on it. :shock:
I went into the milk house and sprayed myself of with the hose and stripped down to my underwear. Then I drove my truck 15 miles in my underwear so I could go home and take a bath. Then it was right back to work.
Matrix 310/330 Snuffy II~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~TT~Tombstone Case.
36" All Weather Tactical Case. Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver
Strings by Boo ~ 8ptbuk..
http://www.freewebs.com/kingdomushers/
Matthew 25:50 & 51

hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 pm

BrotherRon wrote:Picking rocks... whats so bad about about that? I picked rocks for many years growing up on a dairy farm, but picking yellow rocket was a lot worse. lol We used to get paid .10 for every gunny sack full, and it took us about a week to pick every one on the farm... ah the memories :)
But my worst job was when I worked for a guy pumping manure pits. We used about 2 miles of 8 inch clamp together pipe in 20 foot sections. One day I was on the 3 wheeler and went back to check how much was left. The weeds were pretty tall around the pit and when I pulled up along side the wheeler flipped over upside down into the tip.... with me still on it. :shock:
I went into the milk house and sprayed myself of with the hose and stripped down to my underwear. Then I drove my truck 15 miles in my underwear so I could go home and take a bath. Then it was right back to work.
:shock: :lol: I agree with picking rocks. It was my dads go to job for us when we complained about nothing to do. Oh wait... I'm sensing a little irony here. :oops:
Hank
2010 Equinox The "Beast"
S-5 string stoppers
Varizone scope
Vixen master string
DaGriz knife

wheelie

Post by wheelie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Job was not so odd but I worked at Mitchell Plastics in Kitchener at age 13 working 4:30 till 11pm five days a week after school. Made $2.65 an hour. School went down hill and quit school at age 15 to work full time. Got my drivers licence two weeks after turning 16. Had a customized van and a 69 Mustang Coupe both on the road the day I got my licence.

one shot scott

Post by one shot scott » Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Not an odd job, but rather an odd employer

Another summer job I had (after the failed attempt at the rose nursery) was with the summer grounds crew at the local golf course. This one I kept for a while, working with machines and doing the course maintenance was enjoyable as a young guy and my fellow employees were friends of mine. The only downside was the course owner. He was a dumb as a stump and high as hell most of the time. As the grounds crew we would wait in the "barn" every morning for the boss to arrive an let us know what he wanted us to do that day. This one day the owner gets there and it seems like hes had a bit of a rough go thus far. He then begins with handing out the jobs to us guys. "......neil, I want ya to cut the fairways"...........".......and, uh,..... Neil: you can cut the greens" (now all us guys are looking at eachother) Bossman begins to speak again "Neil, I want you to change the holes on the greens"........ (muffled laughter now from the guys) my one buddy couldn't take it anymore and asks "Hey, what do you want Neil to do?".

a slight pause, "neil, you can rake the traps"
867-5309

hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter » Sat May 06, 2017 2:36 am

:lol:
2010 Equinox The "Beast"
S-5 string stoppers
Varizone scope
Vixen master string
DaGriz knife

Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye » Sat May 06, 2017 6:36 pm

One year I took on a part time car repo job. This one time I went to a guys house to repo his car, and the dude was huge, and obviously not happy that he was loosing his ride. He threw the keys at me and never said a word, just staring at me from his doorway, I was sure this was going to end bad, so I made a beeline to the car, hoping he was not following me.
The reason he was watching so intently, was because he had filled all the air vents with some kind of light white powder, and he set the fan on Hi, so when I started the car, POOOOOF, I was covered in this stuff, and could barely see to drive, while he was laughing his head off. I still laugh thinking obout it lol
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone

one shot scott

Post by one shot scott » Sat May 06, 2017 10:45 pm

lol
hope it was baby powder!
:shock:
867-5309

Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye » Sat May 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Lol have no idea what it was, but the place that cleaned cars for use charged double that time lol
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone

elkaholic

Post by elkaholic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:41 am

I live in Phoenix,Ariz Now summers here get over 115* easily - hottest day on record 122. anyway my one summer job was forging3/4 in by 8 in bolts.

stood in front of a furnace with a rack to place and heat steel bars to a orange white hot end , then place heated rod in a heading machine to make bolts. the rack held approx. 20 steel rods at a time. I do not know how hot the furnace gets but was only protected by a thin shield. only down when all the rods were heating up - a few minutes. it was pretty much non-stop take a heated rod off rack - punch head replace it with a rod - move to the next one. they expected a rack of bolts finished every 10 minutes

we'd go outside in the 115 degree sunshine to coool off !

hottest job ever!