Trail cam crap

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
Bullzeye

Trail cam crap

Post by Bullzeye » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Has anyone purchased a wild games innovations Terra 10 Lights out Trailcam ??

I took a drive into the US today, stopped at Dicks sporting good, and saw it for $60. I figured I'd take a chance since One of my cams died, and I've never seen a black out cam so inexpensive.

It looks good, seems quite solid, so far so good. I throw some batteries in it along with a mem card, and set the date and time, put it to video, and then that's it, no ability to set the length of the video, or how long between vids before it comes on again, and the same with still pics, only one pic every 30 sec, with no ability to set it to multiple pics.

At this point I figure for $60 I can live with that, but then when I try it out, there is a strong red blinking light that continues blinking for the whole 30 second vid. Well, what good is having a black flash if this dam red light is going to be blinking. As for the black IR, it definitely was not fully blacked out, it was only slightly less bright as a normal IR flash.

So I thought id put a piece of black electrical tape over this dumb red light to fix that problem, and I'd still be ok considering the price I paid, but nope, that blinking light is so strong, even when covered, it lights inside, and comes out around the lens of the camera. So now it brings more attention to itself than a regular IR flash.

I guess it goes to show, you get what you pay for.
Last edited by Bullzeye on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone

BrotherRon

Re: Trail cam crap

Post by BrotherRon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:37 pm

I use 100.00 Bushnell cameras and they work good for me. Had one for 4 years and the other for 2 years. I use the good energizer batteries and they last for over a year with great pictures. I have never tried the video setting on them.
Matrix 310/330 Snuffy II~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~TT~Tombstone Case.
36" All Weather Tactical Case. Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver
Strings by Boo ~ 8ptbuk..
http://www.freewebs.com/kingdomushers/
Matthew 25:50 & 51

Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:11 am

I've had two SpyPoints, they were ok, not great, one is still alive, the other got ruined by leaking batteries , and I still have an old Bushnell that I bought at least 5yrs ago, and was 100% working until I forgot it in the woods all last winter, but it still works, except sometimes the screen does not work, but it still take pics. This thing has literally taken thousands upon so thousands of pics.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone

Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:25 pm

I have found that most Wild Game Innovations stuff is crap as well...it's all about marketing to the masses.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360

dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:01 pm

I picked up a cheap Tasco at Walmart for 49bucks. Every happy with it so far .battery lasted all winter ..
addicted to canadian beaver

Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:55 am

I emailed them asking, why would they would have a black out flash cam that has a bright flashing light beside the black IR flash. Their answer was to put tape over the red light LOL
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 pm

I have been using two Stealhcam G42NG's now for going on the third year.

They have sat outside in 90F and humidity and 10F at night. Still going strong!
Darton Rebel 135SS
Parker Challenger
Matrix 330 w/agingcrossbower stock

Goose52

Post by Goose52 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:42 am

Sparkey wrote:I have been using two Stealhcam G42NG's now for going on the third year.

i have heard that the G42NG's are very good cameras but need lithium batteries to really work well. is that ur experience, mark?
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Illuminated Quills
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE

ihunt

Post by ihunt » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 am

Hillcountry wrote:I have found that most Wild Game Innovations stuff is crap as well...it's all about marketing to the masses.
Totally agree with you. Had two and returned it for another make.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers

Sparkey

Post by Sparkey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:26 am

Goose52 wrote:
Sparkey wrote:I have been using two Stealhcam G42NG's now for going on the third year.

i have heard that the G42NG's are very good cameras but need lithium batteries to really work well. is that ur experience, mark?
I use regular alkaline batteries and get 2-3 months out of them normally taking pics. The only time I go with lithium is when I plan on having it take 30 sec videos.

I like the videos since they give you a better idea of their mood, how fast they are moving. Normally the 3 photo burst mode is sufficient for me.
Darton Rebel 135SS
Parker Challenger
Matrix 330 w/agingcrossbower stock

Goose52

Post by Goose52 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:22 am

i have been using using moultrie 880's and they are ok. a friend switched from moultrie to stealthcam and gets alot more pics from the stealthcam when placed side by side and lot more pics with the cams up really high & pointed down. but he only uses lithium and im too cheap for that!
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Illuminated Quills
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE

sproulman

Post by sproulman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:51 am

I have Moultrie that is 10 years old still working...Guys at camp have cheaper cameras and they get about 2years out of them ...Guy rebuilding them locally now on more expensive cameras but cheap ones he said throw away..

most of problems some fog up...others the boards go out you can get used boards on e bay..

I only use mine now in yard as people are stealing them ..

elkaholic

Post by elkaholic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:30 pm

I've a friend who runs 20 + cameras the little Walmart closeout cheapies tasco- simmons out perform a lot of other "so Called " expensive models - run of 4 AA or 8 - so cheap to operate too!

leave them for months in 110 + degrees and though our winters are mild - a lot of freezing nights too- still workin 2-3 yrs later

they are out pretty much yr round unless deer or javelin move to different spot

Post by newbie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:26 pm

i run tascos and wildgame cheapies. No issues with any. They take pictures year round.
My tascos take about 3 to 4 thousand pictures on 4 AA which is about every 5 months.
I refuse to spend more then 70 to 80 on a camera that can sprout legs pretty easy.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!

sproulman

Post by sproulman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:17 am

The Drones are rage now ..You cannot go anywhere in woods that one is not flying above your head taking pictures..I had one flying over my house real low ,called police and they said it was home sellers nothing they could do ..

next will be one peeking in your bedroom windows etc..