BC FN granted sole access to hunt Jasper National Park

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
IronNoggin

BC FN granted sole access to hunt Jasper National Park

Post by IronNoggin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:31 pm

Quite the debate on this matter on the Alberta Forum...

Apparently this was negotiated behind closed doors, zero consultation involved with anyone by the FN band involved.

From the Alberta site:

"Cull hunt along the Celestine Lake road and Snaring will occur from Oct 6-13
-the Simpcw FN will be participating. From my quick research they mainly reside in the area of BC from Valemount to Barriere. They are one of many FN that used the Jasper area, historically
-no other FN groups have been invited to partake
-the hunt is done in the spirit of reconciliation as a joint effort from Parks Canada, the Federal Government, and the Simpcw FN
-they have set quotas on cull harvest at 3 elk, 3 whitetail, 3 sheep, and one mule deer (per hunter). No information on sex or age of animals was listed."

So now the Fed's have chosen to play the reverse racism card and grant this FN access to animals inside of a National Park.
And they are doing so as quietly as possible.

Dunno about you, but IMO this SUCKS ROYALLY!! :(

Ticked,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

janesy

Re: BC FN granted sole access to hunt Jasper National Park

Post by janesy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:07 pm

I believe we cannot fix the mistakes of our fathers. However, the liberals seem to think we can, or to be specific... They can buy their forgiveness.
No amount of money or special liberties are going to fix anything. Education for this and all future generations are all that will change this situation.

Education works, look at drunk driving and seatbelts.
Matrix 355 (sold :( )
Micro-Mod 360
Micro 315 fully jambed!
It so hard to choose... Just get one of everything.

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 pm

http://www.fitzhugh.ca/parks-closure-east-of-snaring-river-for-traditional-hunt/

:shock:
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:12 pm

janesy wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:07 pm
I believe we cannot fix the mistakes of our fathers. However, the liberals seem to think we can, or to be specific... They can buy their forgiveness.
Actually, they are in the process of attempting to buy their votes for the next upcoming election... :wink:

This is NOT about herd management whatsoever, nor quality of hunt or even about getting meat.

This IS about Aboriginal rights to access and use National Parks lands.

It is also following in the bootprints of establishing precedence to do so (there are a couple of remote Northern Parks that allow Inuit hunting, and actually Banf has seen a hunt conducted previously).

This little high-fence shoot of tame animals is the tip of the iceberg for what our government is in the works of silently doing under our noses.

"More than twenty different First Nations, Non-Treaty First Nations, and Métis communities from both Alberta and British Columbia, participate in the Jasper Indigenous Forum."

According to Jasper park staff, 6 or 8 of those groups are waiting in the wings for their chance to get in on the destruction of tame park critters. That's "just" Jasper. Do you understand the ramifications for the National Parks system as a whole?

All in the name of reconciliation... Image

Pissed,
Nog

mikej

Post by mikej » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:53 am

:roll: wow this is sad , good old Trudeau
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:54 pm

JuHeeZuz...

"“There’s no reason why we can’t take all the national parks and provincial parks that exist across the country and reintroduce Indigenous people into those lands, with their rights recognized, and give them responsibility in the management and operation of those protected areas,”"

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/the-shady-past-of-parks-canada-forced-out-indigenous-people-are-forging-a-comeback

A major part of reconciliation is accepting that when we celebrate Canada 200, Algonquin people may again be living in Algonquin Park, and that Stanley Park and the turquoise waters of Moraine Lake in Banff National Park may be dotted with First Nations homes and businesses. Wilderness may be a sacred concept to Canadians, but it’s one that must be sacrificed if reconciliation is to have meaning.

https://thewalrus.ca/canadas-national-parks-are-colonial-crime-scenes/

We're HOOPED! :cry:
Nog

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:25 pm

A fellow on another site did some digging on this issue.
What he discovered is eye opening to say the least:

"I can find no record or claim that members of the Simpcw band were forcibly removed from Jasper National Park lands.

The closest area where I can find claims of forced removal are from Tete Jaune Cache - well over 100 km west of the area they're currently hunting in JNP.

The Simpcw were not a part of the numbered treaties in the Jasper area, and so were not involved when the Federal Government extinguished aboriginal title on national park land over 100 years ago. Most claims of 'forced removal' stem from the extinguishing of treaty title - clearly this was not the case with the Simpcw.

The Stimcw have been one of the over 20 First Nations, Non-Treaty Nations, and Metis communities that participate in the long-standing Jasper Indigenous Forum. All of these 20+ entities have historical associations with Jasper National Park. Obviously, these associations overlap with each other in traditional land uses. Jasper runs almost all park issues by this forum to see if there are any concerns - as they are required to do by federal mandate.

A few years ago, with representation of the Jasper Aboriginal Forum, JNP commissioned a new Raven Totem, with Haida artists. Late in the process, the Simpcw objected, Chief Matthew said the Simpcw didn't have an issue with the Haida creating the pole, but with Parks Canada and the federal government for ignoring the Simpcw and not recognizing the cultural values their people offer the land. “To deny our presence is a misrepresentation of history." Jasper National Park Superintendent Greg Fenton said he was surprised by the announcement, as the Simpcw First Nation participated in the Aboriginal Forum and were fully aware of the Raven totem announcements during the past year. The Simpcw however, didn't feel that the Aboriginal Forum (with all the other bands) was the correct avenue, and that negotiations should have been 'nation to nation' with them alone.

I raise this event to illustrate that the Simpcw have been very persistent in establishing their claims as the premier indigenous claims to JNP lands. We can expect other bands to make the same claims and expect the same 'rights', or they risk losing their spot!
"

And so as it turns out, this aboriginal group is not even from the area, has superseded those who were in gaining access to the National Park, and did so by "negotiating nation to nation" in secret with the Trudeau government.

I mean WTF??? :shock:

I'll just bet that the aboriginals that did live there once are now chomping at the proverbial bit... :(

Nog

mikej

Post by mikej » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 pm

I would expect nothing less from Trudeau

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:15 pm

The CBC Spin Doctors at work:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/simpcw-first-nation-traditional-hunt-jasper-park-1.4350639

As usual, CBC (and likely the band involved) are making "facts" up as they go along.

Beyond the band's own website, there are NO records or claim that members of the Simpcw band were forcibly removed from Jasper National Park lands. Ever.

The closest area where such claims of forced removal can be verified are from Tete Jaune Cache - well west of the area this hunt occurred in.

The Simpcw were not a part of the numbered treaties in the Jasper area, and so were not involved when the Federal Government extinguished aboriginal title on national park land over 100 years ago. Most claims of 'forced removal' stem from the extinguishing of treaty title - clearly this was not the case with the Simpcw.

On the other hand, there ARE a good handful of aboriginal groups that have documented occupancy (and removal) of the area in question. This group has decidedly much more history in the area, and are now lining up to be "NEXT".

The band in question simply had a great lawyer who initiated "nation to nation" discussions with Chief Flapping Lips the instant he got into power.

Apparently this has created something of a pissing match among the balance of the bands sitting on the Jasper Park Aboriginal Forum. Now however that PRECEDENCE has been established, the pissing match switches to who gets in next, and in what order the others follow. Note: There are TWENTY Aboriginal Organizations (bands) represented on the afore mentioned Forum...

This is a prelude to not only hunting, but direct and ongoing occupation of lands contained within ALL Canadian National Parks.

Reconciliation... :cry:

Nog

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:12 pm

As most figured, the bottom line was stated by the chief when defending his tribe's actions:

"Out of respect for other First Nations, Chief Matthew says the Simpcw won’t be back to Jasper for some time, as “it’s other people’s turn next.”

https://www.fitzhugh.ca/simpcw-chief-responds-to-backlash-after-hunt-in-jasper-national-park/

And just like that, a private happy hunting preserve for aboriginals in Canada was created...
Next step: Occupation :cry:

No

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:15 pm

And it's always Fun to tip over a few Trophies while engaged in your "traditional" National Park hunt.
You know, just in case you want a lasting memento on the wall, or a buyer with deep enough pockets steps forward...

Some though might consider it just a tad on the rude side to caption your trophy shot with the words: "Suck it up Whitey"...
Wonder just how long it will be before the powers that be get those removed?? :roll:

Cheers,
Nog

mikej

Post by mikej » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:18 am

What gets me is it is a traditional hunt for them . I don't remember any books indicating the use of pickup trucks, atvs or high powered rifles

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 am

This is disgusting! I'm so sick of this piece of turd apologizing to everyone for everything.....while saying in a public speech that 'the worst element of Canadian society is those Christians!' History is what it is. I can say it's terrible but I certainly won't apologize for something I didn't do. Where will this rectum hole stop?!!!! Don't nice this up people. You should all be outraged! As for me, I make no apologies and I will judge each man as I hope to be judged....by my own merits and the integrity in my heart. This whole thing is infuriating. What's next? Shooting a monster Muledeer in Penticton, B.C. within city limits, with a high powered rifle, within a couple hundred yards of a school, on someone else's private property in an orchard! ??? Oh wait, that actually just happened.....and no charges laid....and the animal allowed to be recovered. I'm outta here, I can't take it!

Pissed

mikej

Post by mikej » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:56 am

As much as I hate to say it , our country is going to hell fast . It scares me to think what it is going to be like for my poor kids once they're grown

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:17 pm

paulaboutform wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 am
... What's next? Shooting a monster Muledeer in Penticton, B.C. within city limits, with a high powered rifle, within a couple hundred yards of a school, on someone else's private property in an orchard! ??? Oh wait, that actually just happened.....and no charges laid....and the animal allowed to be recovered. I'm outta here, I can't take it!
Yeah, it did actually happen:

"The Penticton RCMP is investigating after an urban deer was shot within city limits late Tuesday afternoon by a First Nations hunter.

Police were called to an orchard at Johnson Road and Upper Bench Road around 4:50 p.m. for a report of a man shooting a deer. Officers arrived and located the man sitting in his vehicle.

A firearm was seized, but officers allowed the man to keep the kill on the advice of the BC Conservation Officer Service.

Due to First Nations hunting rights, COS says there was no Wildlife Act violations, so there was no reason to seize the animal.

Any firearms violations — such as discharging a firearm near a dwelling — are RCMP jurisdiction. Police continue to investigate."

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/209464/Hunter-takes-urban-deer

Having a little trouble digesting that the CO stated "there was no Wildlife Act violations"??

Are they allowed to hunt on private property without permission?

Are they allowed to hunt within city limits?

Are they allowed to shoot firearms within city limits in urban areas with no shooting (including bows) bans in place?

When the RCMP arrived, the fellow was sitting in his vehicle, waiting for them to show.
This is not the first time this particular band has flexed their muscles in the last little while.
Just this last spring several band members were caught hunting & shooting on private land nearby that they had no permission on:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3223894/penticton-woman-wants-legal-action-after-elk-hunted-on-private-land/

To date no charges have been laid in that incident either...

Deer was shot well within range of this intersection.
Note the controlled crossing for the nearby school.

COMPLETELY
Inexcusable behavior...

And you ain't the only one pissed at this my Friend! :evil:
Nog