Canadian Customs BANS "Centrifugal Knives"

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
IronNoggin

Canadian Customs BANS "Centrifugal Knives"

Post by IronNoggin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:55 pm

The Canadian International Trade Tribunal has decided that all "centrifugal opening knives" are now classified as Prohibited Weapons in Canada.

This was not in response to a perceived problem. It is however a fine example of bureaucratic meddling:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn18-01-eng.html

Shortly after that announcement, I ordered several more from Canadian sources. :wink:

I have carried an SOG Twitch XL for as long as I can remember.
And I ain't about to quit. Period.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Hi5

Re: Canadian Customs BANS "Centrifugal Knives"

Post by Hi5 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:23 pm

Nog

The "twitch" model (I think) has a spring holding the blade closed until you open it beyond a certain point, and then the blade is cammed OPEN by the spring. They call them "assisted opening".That means it's not a switchblade, which springs open on the push of a button. As long as the spring pressure holds the blade closed, and can't be overcome by "flicking" in a centrifical motion, you should be OK. But don't just take my word for it, get legal advice. It seems that Customs is stopping importation, even if it might not be illegal. In any case, if you have one in your possession, some fuzzy faced young cop could make your life awful interesting while the legalities got sorted out.

If I'm wrong, and you get convicted, you will face a weapons ban, and you may lose your firearms and archery stuff. Likely would get tough crossing the US border too.

I also have a couple similar featured SOG knives too.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.