The Gobbler Guillotine with a crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

The Gobbler Guillotine with a crossbow

Postby KYXbow » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:49 am

Long time reader, first time poster.

I am considering getting into crossbow hunting since KY is starting to get a longer season. I do plan on turkey hunting with a crossbow but I was wondering what type of broadhead you guys use on turkeys. Do you think the Gobbler Guillotine will work in a crossbow?

http://www.arrow-dynamic-solutions.com/

Watch the video of the turkeys heads being sliced clean off their bodies.
KYXbow

Postby Digger » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:18 pm

I use 100 gr slick tricks with Zwickey Scorpion grapplers, they work great. Only thing with the Guillotines is the clearance going past your stirrup.
Welcome to forum.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Digger

Postby KYXbow » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:29 pm

Kentucky Archery and Crossbow equipment requirements:

Arrows for archery and crossbow equipment shall have barbless broadhead points at least 7/8- inch wide, and shall not be treated with any type of chemical or carry any type of chemical “pod” attachments. (301 KAR 2:140)

What do you think they mean by barbless broadhead points?

How does the Zwickey Scorpion work?
Last edited by KYXbow on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KYXbow

Postby A.W » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:29 pm

One of the problems with them is that the blades maycome in contact with the stirrup. If they do you could be looking at some serious injury.

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
A.W

Postby Digger » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:01 pm

The grappler sits behind the broadhead and when the shaft hits the bird it grabs the shaft and bites into it slowing down and not letting the bolt pass thru, making it hard for the turkey to get away.
This is not a chemical attatchment, just a mechanical way of slowing down your shaft.
Barbless heads can't be pulled out, here we can't use barbed or serrated heads.[/i]
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Digger

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:22 pm

KYXbow the 4" guillitine head is a great influnce to getting it, but without major modifications to the crossbow, you can't use them. You would be required to use the 2.5" version of the head.

Those heads I also believe are for neck shots only. I have seen them, in a company video bounce off of a neck shot. The turkey still dropped, but it did not penitrate. Because of this I would say Do Not Use For a Body Shot. If you were able to use the 4" head, then it would give you a better chance for success. With the constant movement that a turkey does with it's head/neck, I believe that a 2.5" head is just not large enough to chance a neck shot.

What I tell alot of people is that they should use any head that they feel comfortable with (accuracy counts) and then put the Zwicky Scropio's behind the head on the shaft (as in Diggers Post). The Scropio's are not part of the head, they are arrow arresters, only purpose is to stop the arrow from passing through the bird making it very difficult for the bird to run or fly away.

I hope this helps.
Tom
Tom

Postby KYXbow » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:03 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Where can I find Scropio's?
KYXbow

Postby A.W » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:24 pm

Try a seach on your computer for "Zwickey Scorpio" and you may find some where near you that sells them or you'll find some where to order them from.

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
A.W

Postby Digger » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:55 pm

At the bottom of this list. get the 22/64
archers Nook , they ship all over.

http://www.archersnook.com/points.html
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Digger

Postby UNCLE JOHN'S OUTDOORS » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:36 am

I was wondering the same thing about the Gilitine heads but I know one broad head that will kill anything....that would be the Magnus Stinger. Of course Ted Nugent has actully killed every thing with a stinger. But the greatest bowshot I ever saw was at the time 13 year old Kade Jones of Leesville La when he made a called headshot on a gobbler, becoming Louisiana's first youth turkey bowkill. It looked like a Samuri movie, after the shot the turkey just stood there motionless :shock: ....his head dropped to one side, blood sprayed into the air and he dropped dead. 8)

When I get my Excalibur Im going to call my own crossbow turkey, the heck with Kade, :twisted: darn kid now thinks he is a better caller than me...Pass it on.
John Simeone
Louisiana State Director Ted Nugent United Sportsmen of America
Louisiana Outdoor Writers Assn.
fptopgun@bellsouth.net
UNCLE JOHN'S OUTDOORS

Postby BigBird-VA » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:36 pm

I shot a nice bird this spring with a Rocket Slammerhead. Bird flew 75 yards and fell out of the sky like a rock. Arrow stayed in the bird. Too much width on the GG for really zero return. When I go I try to use the head that will give me the best all around use.
BigBird-VA

Postby R.J. » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:02 am

Isis set his bow up with the G / G broadhead .... check out this link .

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8807&highlight=turkey
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
R.J.

Postby KYXbow » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:51 am

Digger wrote:I use 100 gr slick tricks with Zwickey Scorpion grapplers, they work great. Only thing with the Guillotines is the clearance going past your stirrup.
Welcome to forum.

Are the Zwickey Scorpion grapplers safe to shoot at a target? Looks like they would tear a target up or be difficult to get out.
KYXbow

Postby GaryL » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:08 am

Just curious as to why you would want to :?: They are for stopping your arrow from a pass thru, no real drag as far as air go. Should be no change or very little in point of impact.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GaryL

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:43 pm

[quote="KYXbow..............
Are the Zwickey Scorpion grapplers safe to shoot at a target? Looks like they would tear a target up or be difficult to get out.[/quote]

Yes, they slide on your shaft and do not penitrate the targets. I shot many targets when I first tested this arrow arresters. They did not effect the arrow flight in anyway and stopped the arrow faster in the target then without it.

Good luck.
Tom
Tom

Next

Return to Crossbow Hunting