removing dissipator pads

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

removing dissipator pads

Postby maple » Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:42 pm

Yesterday I tried to destring my exomag for the off-season. I understand the dissipator pads should also be removed to avoid compressing them. Does this mean undoing the big allen screw that seems to hold on the bar AND limb, or do I just remove the rubber pads at the end of the bars that are attached with 2 small allen screws?

In any case I have to go buy a new set of wrenches since I already rounded off my existing one trying to get off the small screws. The &#&#^. things are stuck tight. Real tight. I put on some penetrating oil this morning, but no results yet.....otherwise, things are fine.....so far.....

maple
maple

Postby Red Label » Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:50 pm

maple, cock the bow, put the safety on, and just remove the pads NOT the bars. Be extra careful when working on a cocked bow!

if you round the heads you may have to cut a slot in them with a file or dremel tool to get them out.

Bill T is switching to better capscrews this year as several of us have complained about the button head screws.

Mike
Red Label

Postby JRS » Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:13 pm

I've found that when you install the pads it is best that you just snug them up and don't over tighten the screws. They seem to tighten up even more as the bow is shot, and if you cranked them down initially, you'll have a heck of a time getting them off after you've put some arrows through the bow. I think Red Label can vouch for that, right? :wink:
JRS

Postby Woody Williams » Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:47 pm

JRS wrote:I've found that when you install the pads it is best that you just snug them up and don't over tighten the screws. They seem to tighten up even more as the bow is shot, and if you cranked them down initially, you'll have a heck of a time getting them off after you've put some arrows through the bow. I think Red Label can vouch for that, right? :wink:

I'll add a hearty AMEN to that too...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at HUNT-INDIANA
Woody Williams

Postby maple » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:01 am

Thanks guys.

I got the pads off with the new $12.99 wrench set. The Canadian Tire Mastercraft metal seems to be harder than the first set I had!!!?
The pads were put on at the dealers before I bought the bow last fall, and they were well cranked on to stay!! Got the string off safely and put a squirt of WD 40 onto the trigger mechanism just like the Excalibur manual says. Now that the bow is put away it's time to get out the tip ups and snowboard.

maple
maple

Postby wabi - not logged in » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:50 am

Thanks for the reminder, I havent checked my pads since I put them on in October. The screws backed right out, no problems! When I put them on I used a dab of "breech plug grease", the lubricant for inline muzzleloader breech plugs, on each screw. After this test, I think it might be OK to recommend the procedure for installation of the screws. I didn't torque them too tight, but I did snug them pretty firmly, and they backed right out.
wabi
wabi - not logged in

Return to Current Forum Archives