Broadhead choices

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: Broadhead choices

Post by vixenmaster »

Things to knowed about the 4 bladed magnus stingers they have one screw & can shift the main blade off center if you don't pay attention. They don't show a 2 blade 150 gr but do have a 125 which is a great BH. Its a research thing ck reviews read about those ppl who have shot & used the BH's yer interested in. How fer you plan on shooting may play a big part in the accuracy of BH's with yer set-up.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

I am fixing to try some rocket mini blasters. I have used them on my martin compound bow, at 285 fps. They were flawless. Shot a doe at 10 or 15 yds in the neck, and dropped her in her tracks. With a 1.75" cutting diameter, they will leave one hell of a blood trail with a heart shot, and a 10 to 15 yd recovery. So now I need to see if they can hold up to 350 fps out of my Exomax. The only bad thing I can see with them is they are only 75 grains, so I will need to change the 4" vanes with 2" blazers, and put some brass inserts in the front. Well they fly like target points and are very strong, so if I can get a decent foc out of them, I don't think I will have any problems with them.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
scout22

Post by scout22 »

Welcome aboard.

Last year was my first with a crossbow and a Equinox.

I tried the bolt cutters (shot and killed a nice deer at 45 yards.
The field tip accuracy was amazing though and I thought I should/could get more accuracy than the Bolt cutters were giving me.

tried magnus stingers 125 grain 4 blade - flew good, but is seemed like each broadhead had it's own spot that it would hit on the target - 3 to 5 inch groups at 40 yards.

Then tried the 125 grain slick tricks after reading reviews on here.
They flew OK, but not nearly as well as the field points.

I then did what I should have done first... I refletched with my excalibur bolts with blazer vanes and saw my groups sizes get about half the size.

Long story short, if your shooting fixed blade broadheads, I recommend the blazer vanes.

Good luck,

Scout22
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome dysmal
I have shot the stingers but in 100g
They shot very well.
I hunt mostly with the G5 Montec in 100g
Thried the NAP Bloodrunner last season,No deer but I shot a hog,no recovery
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dysmal

Post by dysmal »

Thank you all for your feedback.

I will go with the bolt cutters, but will also order some magnus stingers 4 blade 150gr(not available locally) and test them to see how they perform accuracy-wise.

I emailed Magnus broadheads to ask if their broadheads were recommended for high speed crossbows and they said yes.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

WELCOME!! :D
The best things in life are not things!!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Where is our resident broadhead tester..........SUMNER4991 :?:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I tell you there are many great BH's out there Boltcutters are very good. Slicks & magnus are also montec G5 is good but seems to blow thru more than it actually cuts, so hits need to be in lower third of body cavity fer good blood trails. Spitfire's are another great BH they are Mech. they even have one at 170 gr. Many of the 2 blade BH's out there, pick a good BH & shoot it either it groups or it won't with yer CB & its speed.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

raydaughety wrote:Where is our resident broadhead tester..........SUMNER4991 :?:
I'm hanging loose on this one . . .most of you guys know my opinion on broadheads . . .the wider, the better. :)

I still need to compile the rest of the data. I'll get it together before next season. I've been saying "tomorrow" way too much lately.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen