got an 8 pt still on the chase

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bullfood

got an 8 pt still on the chase

Post by bullfood »

Shot an 8 pt yesterday at 1045 that was acting like he was on the scent of a doe.
My understanding is that the rut is over in our area but this guy had his head down following something with intent.
I hunt just south of Orillia On in a large wild area w/no crops. Is the rut indeed over or are there still some does in estrous in our area?
Last edited by bullfood on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
wabi

Re: got an 8 pt sill on the chase

Post by wabi »

Not sure about your area, but around here (Ohio) I've seen bucks chase does from late September through late winter. I think the bucks are always ready to do their part. :lol: :lol:
wabi
philman

Post by philman »

I think the reason people think the rut is over is because they are not seeing as much deer movement...My guess is that the most bucks are on lock down with does and not moving as much. This is not like the seeking or chasing phases of the rut where you see lots of movement. That being said.....I watched a monster walk thru a plowed feild on thursday at 12:30pm. He had hes noes down and tongue out. My guess he just finished breeding a doe and was now on the trail of another one. My opinion is that the rut just peaked the middle of last week. Just my opinion!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer deer, some Doe's don't come in season like the Bioligists think they're suppose too. They have their own clock!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315