Allan Broad heads on a 2116

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

Re: Allan Broad heads on a 2116

Post by Riflemanz »

Just shoot 125gr field points and save your money for some real BH's.Some real quality heads come with practice heads!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

If you're so insistent on buying them, go ahead. They might work with a low poundage vertical bow. However, with a crossbow be prepared to miss what you're aiming at and instead hitting something or someone 4 feet away. :?

Trust me, I kid you not, I've seen it happen, luckily it was a 2X8 and not a person. :shock:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I tried one of the cheap Allen expandables on my Block 4x4 when I got my ExoMax. It flew fine since it was banded. It came assembled but spontaneously disassembled upon contact with the target. It was a 3-blade on entry, but only one remained intact when I pulled it out. For five years now the remaining two are still in the package in the bottom of my bow box.

I'll have to admit that a couple of the more recent Allen fixed heads look a little better, but I won't be buying any. I use Allen products, but not broadheads.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

we shoot varmints with the 125gr fixed bh that wally offer's
they have done wonders on kiyot, hawgs and other farm/garden critters that are a PITA !!! all have flown right and always are in tact when recovered.
maybe thay have been upgraded since yall's last review time.

would I hunt with them, you ask ??

I would not hesitate to if needed. practice makes products trustworthy
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
massbow

Post by massbow »

Not me I put too much time and money in to my hunting to cheap out on the broad heads!
Team 355
SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG »

massbow wrote:Not me I put too much time and money in to my hunting to cheap out on the broad heads!
X2 :)
jh45gun1

Post by jh45gun1 »

I do not hunt out of a tree so my shots are level. I also do not hunt in one place I hunt in a lot of places. Shooting level if you miss usually means lost arrow so with expensive broad heads means at least a 20 dollar bill thrown away. Before some smart ass says don't miss. Pretty easy to do when a branch you did not see in the scope can make you miss or some other obstruction. I used to use Bear razor heads they were cheap and worked well. They are not cheap anymore and made by some one else. Boo my new Parker is Bushwacker 285 fps. So it is a 25 fps faster than my old Wolverine. As long as the broad heads fly straight and are sharp that is all that matters to me. I am to the point with my fixed income If I can save 20 bucks on broad heads and put that 20 in the gas tank to help out going hunting one trip that works for me. Paying 60 or more for 6 broad heads does me little if I do not have the cash for gas to go hunting. The high price of gas has really impacted on how many hunting trips I can go in a month. I used to be able to hunt in the city forest but that area has gotten so much pressure their very few deer left there.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have always tried to find a broadhead that will group right with field points (of the same weight) so I can practice with field points. I have a found a few brands of fixed blade heads that will group with field points, and most quality mechanical broadheads will also group the same as field points.

If a broadhead doesn't group with field points and/or the broadheads you will hunt with, what is the point of practicing with them? It seems to me all you would accomplish is getting to practice cocking the bow, loading an arrow, and pulling the trigger.
I prefer to practice with an arrow/point combination that will also give me a good idea of how my accuracy is.
wabi
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

Thats my plan , if their weight will do. Like I said if people have money to spend fine. But why spend 40$ and use them in a target. When 10 $ will do.
What's 64 tons, green and black, and can take a deer at 3400m. A leopard tank.
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

Well
Picked up some Allans for 4$ a pack. From an archery shop. they are old stock. For 4$ a pack not bad to beat around in a target. Was going to pickup 125s, at Walmart at 10$ as stated. But stopped by to look at a new vert, so picked these up.
1. Allan Spiders 100Gr reg 17.99$
2. Lighting XSTs 100Gr reg 12.99$
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

cdnarmyguy wrote:I was thinking of buying some cheap solid Allan broadheads from Walmart. Read they were not bad. Just for targets and can get 9 for the price of 3. And no worries about damage to them. They only sell 125grs. I dont have my scale, anyone think they be a lil light. I have an equinox.
I shoot 100 grain Allen Lightening 3 blade. Best fixed blade I shoot out of my Phoenix. Hit about 2 inchs right of my field points. I wouldn't shoot a deer with them but a turkey and small game yes. Always have one in my quiver. Liked them so much I bought a dozen of them 2 years ago. Pop in new blades and use them again. still have 8 of them. Paid like 12 dollars to my door for packs of 3 back when. :D :D :D
Last edited by wheelie on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

wheelie wrote:
cdnarmyguy wrote:I was thinking of buying some cheap solid Allan broadheads from Walmart. Read they were not bad. Just for targets and can get 9 for the price of 3. And no worries about damage to them. They only sell 125grs. I dont have my scale, anyone think they be a lil light. I have an equinox.
I shoot 100 grain Allen Lightening 3 blade. Best fixed blade I shoot out of my Phoenix. Hit about 2 inchs right of my field points. I wouldn't shoot a deer with them but a turkey and small game yes. Always have one in my quiver. Liked them so much I bought a dozen of them 3 years ago. Pop in new blades and use them again. still have 8 of them. Paid like 12 dollars to my door for packs of 3 back when. :D :D :D
He has 4 more packs, may just pick them up then. For 5$ a pack not bad. At least someone used them