New 355, some questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crappieduster

New 355, some questions

Post by crappieduster »

Hi all. Just picked up a new 355. Hunted with a Parker bushwacker last few years. Great inexpensive starter crossbow, was really impressed with its accuracy. Decided to upgrade this year and when I saw the matrix 355 I had to try it. Love the feel and looks of it. Have been shooting it trying to get it sighted in. Shooting the Diablo bolts and 150 field points. While groups aren't bad they aren't nearly as tight as I was expecting. 2 inches at 20 yards. With the Parker I couldn't shoot same spot twice or I would damage bolts. Everything is tight. Can't seem to close groups. Any suggestions?
Boo

Re: New 355, some questions

Post by Boo »

In addition to the above try using different vanes as the cock vane.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Definitely check all mounting hardware. Additionally use a solid rest for sighting in and concentrate on trigger control and breathing. If the Diablo's don't give you the best accuracy try other arrows or tip weights.

I own the Matrix 355 and I cannot shoot the same place twice with my setup. I sold the Diablo's and built some 18" Easton 2219 aluminum arrows. I fetched these with genuine Bohning Blazer vanes. I tried the 150 grain field points with them and they flew perfect. I bought some 150 grain Slick Trick xbow broadheads, but they planned badly and didn't group the same as the field points.

I found my broadhead when I bought some 170 grain NAP Thunderhead broadheads. Same precision POI accuracy with both 170 grain field points and Thunderheads. Keep in mind my complete arrow weight is 470 grains, so speed is reduced. I am not a velocity freak, but benefit from silences noise all with awesome accuracy.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
strum

Post by strum »

All said I true but you should be getting way better poi than that
I'm wondering if your string needs a twist out two or three in it also for sure check all you r screws
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
crappieduster

Post by crappieduster »

Thanks for the replies. Going to recheck all the screws and play around with it some more. I did add the REDS dampeners and had to twist string a few times to get it set about a string width off pads. May end up trying some different bolts. Not even to point of worrying about broadheads until I get the field tips to fly consistently.
strum

Post by strum »

Just for kicks try a lighter field tip
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
strum

Post by strum »

Swamp Donky wrote:Quick question, cd! Do you plan on flingin' these 4 arrows for the rest of your life? If not... Get yourself some 18" inch/Black Eagle Ex or Zombie shafts, throw some 112gr/GT brass up front and fletch them with low profile NAP QuikSpins. Game over... :D
I agree and all that's great but it should do fine with the factory shafts.
just needs some tweaking :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Shoot one arrow several times and see how it groups. Take the variables out of it.
crappieduster

Post by crappieduster »

Checked all the bolts, everything tight. Took it out and marked one arrow. Tweaked it in. With field points at 20 yards finally got some groups with holes touching. Backed to 30 and getting 1 inch groups. Probably just me getting used to it. Think I had such high expectations from this bow it was making me not shoot well. Will probably stick with the diablos for this season and try some different bolts later. So many to choose from.
wilkster

Post by wilkster »

i had same issues with scope screws needing to be snugged up but after that no issues with accuracy.i will not shoot at the same spot on a target at 20yrds wrecking bolts and damaging fletching(sub 1/2" groups)mine groups well out to 60 yrds. i bought the matrix for my 12 yr old daughter (to small to use compound bow) with proper shooting rest she confindently shoots to 50yrds and took a whitetail@ 33yrds and mule deer @41yrds.

i would make sure everything is tight on your scope and dial that scope to 360fps and use a proper shooting rest,i can't see it being your matrix ,i also sighted in my buddys' 380 matrix dialed scope to 385fps and had sub 1/2' groups after few shots
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

crappieduster wrote:Checked all the bolts, everything tight. Took it out and marked one arrow. Tweaked it in. With field points at 20 yards finally got some groups with holes touching. Backed to 30 and getting 1 inch groups. Probably just me getting used to it. Think I had such high expectations from this bow it was making me not shoot well. Will probably stick with the diablos for this season and try some different bolts later. So many to choose from.
Glad to hear you are shooting good groups. The shooter is truly the weakest link when it comes to accuracy with these crossbows.

I always use a solid rest for sighting in and concentrate on trigger control and breathing. If I do my part my crossbow really sings.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's