Turkeys?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MADMAX2

Turkeys?

Post by MADMAX2 »

I am originally a compound bow hunter,but kept getting busted pulling back my ben pearson,thats why I bought my exocet and very happy with its performance and accuracy.I know its deer season, but just wondering if anyone else uses their excaliburs for thunderchickens?
TYE

Post by TYE »

I use my Crossbow for Turkey's but I haven't gotten one yet :(

Lot's of people on here turkey hunt with their crossbows though :)
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D :D I have! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)

If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
MADMAX2

TURKEYS

Post by MADMAX2 »

NICE !!!
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

yep i use my barnett on the first turkey, spring & fall then go to the shot gun,,,hunting turkeys with a crossbow is great fun, normally it dont spook them if there are several. this spring i missed my first shot didnt spook the old tom he continued doing his thing but the second shot got him.

h.j
they say he is still up there.
GLC

Post by GLC »

What kind of broadheads are best for turkey? Same as for deer?

I've seen those "Gobbler Guillotine" heads but heard they are too wide for crossbow use.

I'd like to try my Exocet on a turkey next spring.

Thanks.
Digger

Post by Digger »

GLC wrote:What kind of broadheads are best for turkey? Same as for deer?

I've seen those "Gobbler Guillotine" heads but heard they are too wide for crossbow use.

Thanks.
zwickey grapplers and slicks on GTlls
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

Digger wrote:
GLC wrote:What kind of broadheads are best for turkey? Same as for deer?

Thanks.
zwickey grapplers and slicks on GTlls
Digger - Do the grapplers damage the shaft at all when sliding down after hitting the turkey? That's always been my concern with them - heard great things about them otherwise.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
Young Buck

Turkey Hunting

Post by Young Buck »

I shot a 13 pound jake this spring with my excalibur paradox. He was 20 yards away. I just used wasp 100 grain broadheads and they seemed to work. I took a friend and he used my paradox and successfully harvested a 25 pound bird at 45 yards.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D :D I have something very simialr to Diggers set up...mine are called Grasshoppers and they do not slide down the shaft...the little arms/prongs are spring loaded and fold back towards the shaft to prevent the shaft from completely passing throught the bird! :wink: This bird was in among 4 hens and 3 other toms and the rest of them had no idea what had happened when I hit the Tom....he just jumped up abit then started to stagger around like a drunk! Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Makomachine wrote: Digger - Do the grapplers damage the shaft at all when sliding down after hitting the turkey? That's always been my concern with them - heard great things about them otherwise.
I am not Digger but I will try to answer. If your using carbon arrows, I have heard that they will scratch the shafts, but others have said that there is not any dammage. I have used them for many years on 2217 alumin arrows and now the 2216 with no dammage to the shaft. You might get some fletching dammage (every once in a while it happpens) but that is easily fixed by replacing the fletching.

As for the heads and what to use ..... Use the head that is the most accurate and which you are the most compfortable with (as long as it is leagle). I would also recomend some sort of arrow arrestor like what Digger has shown or like what BramptonMike mentioned. The ones Digger shows I feel are the best as they stay on the outside of the bird and do not dammage any of the meat like some of the fixed arrestors can do. IF I had a choice of "no arrestors" or " fixed arrestors" I would use the fixed arrestors.

Good luck and I hope this helped.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Never used these, but they seem like a good one.

Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I shot a hen with my compound a few weeks ago and put the arrow right where I wanted - in the butt and out the chest. The arrow (with 125 grain Thunderhead) lodged in her fine, with about 2 inches sticking out the front and about a foot hanging out the back. She waddled off into the woods and it took me a while to find her. She jumped up and ran off when I went to retrieve her and my arrow. I eventually had to shoot her in the neck with another arrow, but it really wasn't a very fun process altogether and the inital arrow ruined a bunch of meat.

I had thought that butt shots were the preference with an arrow - is that wrong? I'm thinking now that I'm going to stick to my Guillotines from now on.

And if anyone is wondering why I used a 125 grain broadhead, that's what I use for deer and targets, too. It gives my arrows the best FOC.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Corvus I would not take the butt shot myself. I would rather shoot a little higher and take out the back, exiting through the chest. My preferance is a broadside shot, but my dad likes the shot onto the back.

We must remember that the turkey has a very small vital area and is very easy to miss with an arrow. This is why I always recomend the arrow arrestors to stop the arrow in the bird to limit their flying and running. If they can fly, you will basicly loose the bird unless you see where it lands. I did lose a bird last spring, it woddled off and a coyotee got it before I did :twisted:

As for the neck shots with the gullintine, with the 2.5 inch heads that is required for crossbows (4'' being to large) it is in my opinon, alot more difficult to hit a BOBBING HEAD then a body shot (a vital shot) with a standard head. A body shot with those heads, even in their own promo video, it shows the arrow bouncing off a dirrect hit with the point.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Yeah - that's one of the things I like about the guillotine, actually. It's either dead or basically uninjured.

I can't use crossbow for turkey in Maine (yet), so I've got the 4" ones for my compound.

I had a fixed arrestor on the arrow. I'm sure it would have passed through and I'd have never found her otherwise. I took one of the 4 hens that has been coming around to my yard every 2 or 3 days with her almost-full size poults. The other 20+ turkeys are still coming around - I hope a few of the toms stick around for the spring.