atv disc harrow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jc2white

atv disc harrow?

Post by jc2white »

I am looking to buy a atv disc harrow to make some food plots this spring. Any idea where I can pick one up in southern ontario (Barrie)? Any advice on which ones work best? Thanks.
huntman

Post by huntman »

i need one as well so if you find where they are sold please let me know!
rutman

Post by rutman »

Whats wrong with a old chunk of chain harrow (spike style). Can be found in almost every old barnyard and bought for a song (case of beer).
They work like a Dam(beaver)
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

Some of your local atv dealers might be able to find information on buying one. There may be a rent-all place that might have them also. As Rutman says , those diamond tooth harrows make good work. Actually you may have a better seed bed with them , it will be finer.I have a two section for behind my Arctic Cat 400, it takes time but works good. I have used mine for lawn grass. The biggest problem I have found is the grass roots getting lodged in the harrows. It means getting off and clearing them out. You might consider spraying the ground with a good agricultural spray for killing grasses in food crops about two weeks before harrowing. Ordinary weed spray will leave a resadue and stops new seed from growing. Take your time you will find that your atv will heat up faster and there is lots of dust. Clean you air filter often .
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
catcher

Post by catcher »

Check your local feed store. My local feed store has one they rent out. It is Thrahers in Belleville. Other than that I have found them at local atv stores if you order it in. But they are very pricy. When I looked into it myself the one that you would need to do the job you wanted was a couple thousand.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

You might want to check out Northern Tool.
They are in the US,but they carry three or four different styles of discs, harrows and rakes,some come as a complete unit,and others need attachments on the ATV.
Looks like you could be in business for well under a grand,depending on which style you want.
No idea what shipping costs would be to Barrie.
Bob Vandrish.
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

We have one at our hunt camp and it is a hunter specialty's brand.
I beleave we got at a place in woodstock, I will find out and get back to you!
jc2white

disc harrow

Post by jc2white »

Thanks for the replies. I found a couple of places, in southern Ontario, to get them, if any one interested.
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

You might want to check your local OFAH affiliate hunting club. I am a member of the Osgoode Fish Game and Conservation club and we have a Plot Mule for all members to BORROW at no charge. For $50 a year membership you get OOD magasine, membership to OFAH and access to the plot mule. I know that other clubs (Grenville, Kingston) also have plot mules available.

I am currently designing (and building) a club ice shack for all members to use; use of it will also be a free perk (with membership). When my design is done I plan on posting the info here for you guys.
ger34

Post by ger34 »

We have the Terrain Tough ATV disc/cultipacker from Hunter's Specialties that we absolutely love...we use it for discing food plots...we use it for prepping the lawn at my bosses place...we use it for leveling and grooming trails...prepping fields for tree planting etc etc etc...

I researched the product for about 3 months winter 06/07...found the "Hunter's Specialties ATV Disc/Cultipacker" was the most versatile for our purpose(s). I called Bass Pro in Vaughn...they couldn't get them...I called Bass Pro headquarters in Branson Mo....they didn't know if they could ship them here...I called Hunter's Specialties....they couldn't ship them to us as we were not an authorized dealer....and so on and so on

There is good news though.....the gentleman at Hunter's Specialties told me that a company called "Tarter Gate" Manufactured them and HS just puts their name on them....After contacting Tarter Gate (ask for Delbert....tell him Gerry from Ontario referred you...great guy to deal with)...Delbert informed me that they had an order being shipped to a company in Woodstock called "Davon Sales"....I had my ATV Disc/cultipacker withing 2 weeks

To sum it all up.....go here http://www.tartergate.com/
Ask for Delbert....have the product shipped here to Davon Sales in Woodstock,Ontario and you can either pick it up...or have it shipped....be aware....it weighs in at a little over 700 lbs....and a flatbed snowmobile trailer is the best for hauling it as it is 76"wide to the outside of the wheels...
Hope this helps

Let me know if you have any questions....

BTW...the only drawback I have seen do far is the disc does not trail the truck well at speeds over 40kmh...lol