FOC question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big John

m

Post by Big John »

Hello Ghost:

You say you have Brass front inserts and added 30 gr. weights more to that? So you now have a 110 gr. Brass front, plus 30 gr. added weight plus a field tip of say 100 gr.? No wraps and plain fletch with aluminum rear nocks. Those are very heavy front end machines! I am going to try one and see. But that is not necessary at all. Without the extra 30 gr. those should fly like darts with 2" blazers.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

looks like refletched is much better, another thing to look for is make sure arrow slot is clean all the way. i do know that alot of the blazers are high enough they hit bottom of slot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Looks like they are happy little arrows to me, GO HUNTING :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Another vote for eliminating the add on weights. You got a strange one going on, but we'll whip 'er!

My best groups ever were w/ 'new' Gt shafts, 110 gr brass inserts, 100 gr field tips and 2" blazers at 8 degrs rt hand helical from Az-Ez, 1-1.5" [5 shots] at 50 yds. 400 gr, I believe.
"Eze 18:21"
Ghost

Re: m

Post by Ghost »

John wrote:Hello Ghost:

You say you have Brass front inserts and added 30 gr. weights more to that? So you now have a 110 gr. Brass front, plus 30 gr. added weight plus a field tip of say 100 gr.? No wraps and plain fletch with aluminum rear nocks. Those are very heavy front end machines! I am going to try one and see. But that is not necessary at all. Without the extra 30 gr. those should fly like darts with 2" blazers.
I took a GT 50 grain brass screw in weight and used a metal lathe to reduce the screw in weight to 30 grains. The 30 grain weight is screwed into the back of the 110 grain brass front insert. Blue thread lock on the threads. I wanted the arrow weight close to 440 grains of the carbon express arrows I have been shooting.

Ghost
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Aren't the Blazers a little taller? If you haven't trimmed the plastic off the riser, then you might try that. See this link . . .

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=28915

If the issue is just with the Blazers, then they are hitting something.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

sumner4991 wrote:Aren't the Blazers a little taller? If you haven't trimmed the plastic off the riser, then you might try that. See this link . . .

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=28915

If the issue is just with the Blazers, then they are hitting something.
I trimmed the plastic but that did not change the arrow flight. Moon from AT suggested trimming a little off the vane in the grove but that only made the problem worst for the arrow with the trimmed vane.

I have talked to other Excoet hunters shooting GT arrows with my FOC and the same fletch and they have on problems. I am going to shoot two arrows with blazers fletched at 2 instead 4 degrees of right offset and see if the arrow flight is different.

Ghost
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

just by adding weight to the front doesnt mean its going to equal out to the weight of those other arrows. The other brand has more GPI, grains per inch. The beauty about the gold tip is that its slightly lighter so you can get very good FOC on a 20-30grain lighter setup. Which equals awesome flight. If you wanted to get closer to that weight of the other, you almost want to add weight to the rear and then go with a 125grain head up front.

I cant remember what weight head you are using, but you can also reach the weight goal just by going with a heavier head. Its cheaper and easier just to do that. Ive stopped adding 25grain weights on my aluminum insert arrows and just tell people to use a 125grain head over the 100grain head.

but if its flying good, dont listen to us:) Try one without that 30 grains up front and see what they do. I shot some yesterday and you cant get any better of a straight line out to 50 yards with the brass insert
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Ghost, way to go! Those refletched arrows are hitting great especially considering the wind conditions you mention. Why even bother with those Blazers; why not just trash them and move on? Unless of course @ 71 you're retired and have plenty of time to play around. :)

BTW, 65 and waiting for my wife's permission to retire or a layoff whichever comes first. :)

Take care...
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bkisel wrote:BTW, 65 and waiting for my wife's permission to retire or a layoff whichever comes first. :)
Don't retire . . .I've noticed a lot of retired people get old. :lol:

It's rather hard to believe it's a blazer issue. I shoot them with no issue at all. You could have gotten a bad batch of blazers, I suppose.

Maybe you should contact them and see what they think.

Try this lady . . .

Heather J. Short

Shooting Staff Coordinator/Accounts Receivable

The Bohning Company, LTD.

Telephone: 231-229-4247 Ext. 100

Fax: 231-229-4615

[email protected]
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

sumner4991 wrote:
bkisel wrote:BTW, 65 and waiting for my wife's permission to retire or a layoff whichever comes first. :)
Don't retire . . .I've noticed a lot of retired people get old. :lol:
LOL :lol: I dare not relate your quip to my wife. :)
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I plant to hunt with the 5 Durovane arrows so that gives me 7 arrows to play with their setup.

I plan to strip all the fletching and shoot these of arrows at 20 yards as a bare shaft. If there is a problem with balance, wobble, the 30 grain weight,etc there flight should be very unstable. If that is the case then I will change their setup, starting with the removing the 30 grain weight. If the flight is stable and they form a close group then fletching should improve their performance.

Ghost
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Went out today and shot four of the GT Laser II arrows that had their fletching removed. The shots were at 20 yards and I learned that with out vanes the release has to be really smooth. I do not think there is any problem with these shafts or the inserts.

I had just enough blazer material to fletch two of the shafts at 2 degrees right offset.

It would appear that they are stable at 2 but not 4 degrees. It is my belief that with the 4 degree offset the vanes are hitting something as they come off the rail. What ever it is the arrows are forming two loose groups, one near the center of the target and another about 2 inchs off the center at the 11:00 position.

I need to get some spray powder tp coat the rail and shoot some of the arrows with the 4 degree offset. At an earlier time I fletched some Carbon Express arrows with blazers at 4 degrees and their flight was really unstable, probably because their FOC is only 11%

When I get my Blazer order I will fletch six arrows at 2 degrees right offset and see how they shoot but my guess it that they will be stable.

Ghost
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I have figured out what the blazer vanes are hitting. There is an expanded space in the riser at the end of the rail. I measure the space at 35.25 mm to 35.30 mm. The difference is probably me.

It appears that if there is little rotation the vane does not hit or does not hit hard enough to effect the arrow stability. The more aggressive the rotation the more unstable the arrow flight.

The question is why on this bow?

Ghost