black light and the lost arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

black light and the lost arrows

Post by one shot scott »

Thanks to pydpiper and his idea of using a black light to find arrows! I managed to find two tonight alone using his method. I have a u.v. light for automotive a/c leak detection, and tonight I found one previously lost arrow(1 month lost) and 1 arrow i missplaced tonight.

And for all those who may have been wondering, the crossbow is not accurate when shot "gangsta style" :oops: :lol:

I was tempted to see how the bow perfomed sideways.example: when avoiding a branch.
It does not. :lol:

When I get a chance I am going to use it to find an arrow a buddy lost. So so far you have saved me two arrows, hopefully three. thanks pydpiper!!

Pydpiper wrote:Fluorescent arrows stick out to the human eye, that makes it easier to find, it often contrasts it's surroundings.
To "fluoresce" the fluorescent colors need a specific wavelength of light to see, during the day that wavelength is made by the sun, at night it doesn't exist.

Last year I spent a few hours looking for an arrow that passed through a big buck, I could not find it even though I knew within a few yards to where it should be..
Got me to thinking...
I always test my hunting clothes to see if they fluoresce, apparently that wavelength is visible to deer, while doing this in my office with the lights out with a black light I noticed a few of my articles of clothes "glowed", they did not make the cut.
I also accidentally noticed that my arrow rack was lit up like a neon sign, the fluorescent vanes were lit so brightly that I almost had to squint in a dark room.
So.. I went to my flashlight shelf and grabbed a cheap ($4) handheld black-light, turned it on and my arrows still lit up like they were on fire!
I dropped everything, waited till dusk and went to where my lost arrow was, I could see that thing (arrow) from 50 yards in the dark, not only could I see it, but it was the only thing I could see.
So, now I only use fluorescent fletching and I never have to worry about looking for an arrow.
I even use it to watch my arrow leave the bow during arrow testing, bright is good, lighting up fluorescent with UV is simply awesome.
I never want to discuss this because arrow makers get their nose bent out of joint thinking arrows need to be bright, and that simply isn't the case. You just need to apply the right wavelength of light.
The same principal as the way blacklight lights up clothes in a bar, or a fun house, or a haunted house..
This is all done with a cheap, pocket flashlight that emits light that the human eye can't even see.
If you pay attention, a fluorescent arrow will just appear to be it's natural color in daylight, same as a flashlight, but with the UV light they stand out, not a little, but it will be the dominant thing in your field of view.
I can do some night time photos if needed. :D
I have the UV light to charge "glow in the dark" stuff, it uses the same wavelength to activate, watch hands, kids toys, fishing lures..
As an example, there is next to no visible light coming out of this flashlight, yet the arrow looks like it is in the sun, the reflection off the vanes is significantly brighter than the light it's self... Typical 2" blazers.

*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Thats amazing. I'm going out and buy a black light and find my arrows before the snow covers them up. Thanks so much! This forum is unbelieveable. :D :D
lscha

Post by lscha »

I haven't lost any arrows but I'm somewhat of a hero to others thanks to Pyd. Thanks David!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

lscha wrote:I haven't lost any arrows but I'm somewhat of a hero to others thanks to Pyd. Thanks David!
You knew to and never said anything. I'm always the last to know. :cry: :lol: :lol:
maple

Post by maple »

Second last....

Maple
philman

Post by philman »

Coo,l I need to get me a black light! 8)
Michael Stogre

Black lights

Post by Michael Stogre »

Hey Pyd:

What makes and models of Black lights do you recommend? Many
thanks for the tip on their use for finding arrows. Are there any that help
with blood trailing perhaps after using that bluestar chemical?

MJS
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I just use an inexpensive UV light from Lighthound, there is a big difference between a good UV light and a cheap one, but for this application they all work equally as well.
It's fun to step in to a corn feild in the pitch black and the only thing showing is a couple 2" Blazers 50 yards away..
I also use UV to charge glow in the dark stuff, a 2 second hit with a UV light and stuff that "glows" (watch hands, fishing lures..) will be lit to their full potential immediatly.

Here is the one I use, cheap and has a great history.

http://www.lighthound.com/12-LED-UV-3xA ... _p_23.html
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bdog

light

Post by bdog »

Bohning sells neon and satin finish vanes, does the light work with both ? Or is it just the neon vanes ? By the way what an excellant tip....
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

What do the vanes look like to deer?

Ghost
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Ghost wrote:What do the vanes look like to deer?
Hopefully bloody and on the other side of the shooter! :D

Actually, nothing special about the vanes, I just use orange and yellow blazers.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bdog

vanes

Post by bdog »

is that the regular or neon vanes ? OK I got it, just checked the Bohning site, orange and yellow come in neon only......
buzz

Post by buzz »

I have firebolts from excal, do they glow :?
I have two arrows in the same area but can't find them under the grass
Thanks
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Yes the do, but not as much, and some colours dont illuminate at all.

I had some firebolts re-fletched in burnt orange. No illumination

Factory Excalibur firebolt yellows & whites illuminate but not the blue or green, even if you had all blue vanes then the white excal firebolt writing on the arrow would still light up to some extent.

The arrow on the left is the re-fletched in burnt orange. the next three are stock firebolts, and the last two are forum members: John's , and crazy farmers arrows

This pic was taken in a unlit room. They illuminate much like pypipers pic up top, but my camera is all jiggity janked, or maybee its me :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
buzz

Post by buzz »

Thanks Scott.
My firebolts are 2 orange and 1 black. I'll give it a try.
Great tip
Thanks