Minimum Bolt Weight for an Exomax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tman74

Minimum Bolt Weight for an Exomax

Post by tman74 »

Hi,

Just wondering what's the minimum bolt weight is for an Excal Exomax? Thanks!

Tman74
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
Limbs and Sticks

Re: Minimum Bolt Weight for an Exomax

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome, 350grs

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:Welcome, 350grs

Wes
Thanks Wes. Is that with a broadhead or target point weight included?

Tman74
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Welcome, It's the same for either.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
tman74

Post by tman74 »

I just bought 6 Gold Tip Laser II bolts. I just weighed one without any type of head installed and it weighed 216 grains, 341 with a 125 grain head. I'm not trying to be knit picky but I'm just wondering if the 9 grain difference is something to be concerned with. I just don't want to damage the xbow or myself. Thanks again.

Tman74
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by crazyfarmer on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Limbs and Sticks

crazyfarmer wrote:i dont like shooting anything under 360grains out of that bow. If you hsoot a 350grain arrow and then a 400grain arrow you notice one heck of a difference in the TWANG of the string. Light arrows are fast, but they are unstable and decrease string life.

I wouldnt shoot them, but its your bow:-P

you can take out those aluminum inserts and put brass ones in and have a good shooting arrow though;)

Where are they unstable, and how do they shorten string life, you make it sound like a 350gr's is going to kill his bow :?: 350grs is what excal specs are, stay with them,don't go under them

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:i dont like shooting anything under 360grains out of that bow. If you hsoot a 350grain arrow and then a 400grain arrow you notice one heck of a difference in the TWANG of the string. Light arrows are fast, but they are unstable and decrease string life.

you can take out those aluminum inserts and put brass ones in and have a good shooting arrow though;)

Where are they unstable, and how do they shorten string life, you make it sound like a 350gr's is going to kill his bow :?: 350grs is what excal specs are, stay with them,don't go under them

Wes
I don't think crazyfarmer meant that it was going to kill the CB, but lighter arrows are harder on strings and limbs. Yes...Excal recommends a minimum of 350g arrow with BH or field point, but I wouldn't go much below that myself. I think the heavier arrow you go with...the more stable it becomes. Plus keeping the FOC higher helps keep your POI more consistent as well. I've got some GT Laser II's with brass inserts and use 150g FP for target practice. I think it makes a good combination.
Limbs and Sticks

lvt01 wrote:
Limbs and Bolts wrote:

Wes
I don't think crazyfarmer meant that it was going to kill the CB, but lighter arrows are harder on strings and limbs. Yes...Excal recommends a minimum of 350g arrow with BH or field point, but I wouldn't go much below that myself. I think the heavier arrow you go with...the more stable it becomes. Plus keeping the FOC higher helps keep your POI more consistent as well. I've got some GT Laser II's with brass inserts and use 150g FP for target practice. I think it makes a good combination.

I don't have any problems with my 352gr arrows being stable, and are very,very consistent,I wax and rotate my string which is over a yr old, don't sound like much time, how ever I shoot almost every day so this string has some play time on it . don't get me wrong I not putting the badmouth on heavy arrows they all get the job done,but again lite arrows aren't wrong either, to each their own.

Wes

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Boo

Post by Boo »

I always raised an eyebrow when I thought about Norm and his light weight arrows until last year. I made up some arrows from some 340 spine Easton Fat Boys and cut them down and lightened the rear nocks so that I got 350 gr with a 100 gr tip. Norm always told me how accurate they are and I must say that he is absolutely right. Those things shot out of all of my 200 lb bows like lazers! Noise and vibration did not increase at all (using an STS and my strings of course). Accuracy at 40 yards was as I was told, dead accurate! These arrows are now being used by Vixs to resolve a problem she had shooting 3D at 50 yard targets!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I'm not saying light arrows are bad either....I just haven't had good experince with them. Could be the the front ends have been too light too. I really think you need to keep the FOC higher to keep the shorter arrows more stable. Boo...when you say that you "lightened" the rear nocks what did you do exactly? I had some GT Laser II's that I used an aluminum insert with regular nock. They were light and I think quite a bit faster than my heavier ones, but I didn't think I could get the same consistency out of them as I could my heavier arrows.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Speed and accuracy seem to gather my attention whenever I think about shooting and hunting. I carry this interest over to my Excalibur crossbows. To get the most accuracy from my GTII's (and they are very accurate and fast) I reduce the rear insert to a minimum by cutting them, only leaving enough to glue in. I even drill out the center for additional weight loss. Blazer vanes reduce rear end weight even more. I transfer some of the removed weight up front in increase FOC and stabilize flights, even at long distance.
Any extra vibration and noise is handled by Boo's custom strings and served on whiskers. Riser rubber bumpers add string slap noise reductions to my set up.
My favorite setup islight, fast, stable, reliable with a reasonable noise reduction. This I will continue to use in 2010.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Limbs and Sticks

As said you have to do some cutting, I'm down to 15grs in the rear with nock and 3" or 4" feathers, I also cut brass insert's down to 50grs, My boo string has no whiskers and the sts is to help save string and limb's in case knock on wood a dry fire happens. Like Norm I love speed and the only way I would change my set up is if I can make it faster.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Last edited by crazyfarmer on Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
casper

Post by casper »

I'm not sure, but I think all the fasteners are machine screws. Sorry I had to. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: