Leupold Crossbones scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GLC

Leupold Crossbones scope

Post by GLC »

Anyone have any experience with this one yet?

I'm seeing that they are becoming available and listed as in stock in several places.

Any thoughts or reports on this one?
See4miles

Re: Leupold Crossbones scope

Post by See4miles »

Moon has discussed this, find his thread. He's not to keen on them and from what he has discussed, I wouldn't be either. It seems to be a compromise in a lot of ways to get something to market. I'd be sure they will improve it later, but it seems they might have decided they could rest on their name to sell initially.

Look at the Excal Twilight model or the Hawke XB30 if you want something real good.......
In the Wind.......
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

See4miles wrote:Moon has discussed this, find his thread. He's not to keen on them and from what he has discussed, I wouldn't be either. It seems to be a compromise in a lot of ways to get something to market. I'd be sure they will improve it later, but it seems they might have decided they could rest on their name to sell initially.

Look at the Excal Twilight model or the Hawke XB30 if you want something real good.......
See4miles hit on something there. The XB30 I have heard only one thing bad about and that is weight. Can be helped with lighter rings. Other than that you VERY seldom see them used for sale which is another indicator of its value. If I had some change laying around I would buy that one in a heart beat. :D
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

i just ordered a hawke those aussies really like them they m,ay be heavy but they ae sturdy,
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have been mulling the XB30 myself and think the easiest solution is to shed the supplied heavy steel one piece ring mounts and replace it with the soon to be released Excalibur 30mm Aluminum rings @ $20.00 for the pair. That will work.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I do actually have the XB30 on my Exomax and it is everything its advertised to be. I too shed the provided mounts in favor of some slimmer 30mm rings. It is one fine scope to be sure.

But the new Excal wasn't available then and although I haven't handled on yet I'm going to assume Mr. T made sure the Twilight is on par with the best out there right now.
In the Wind.......
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

ive been waiting for them to come to stock. looks like i will have one next week. i also have one on back order from cabelas. i cant imagine it not being great but i will check it out. from the specs its size weight and reticle will be just perfect.cant wait! :D
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day, you'd be right heavey the xb30 is but what a scope, vixen 11 at 20-30 & 40 metres hitting an aussie 10c peace using firebolts & my fletchings set at by the xb30 arrow weight dial at 245 fps. regards blackjack
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
wabi

Post by wabi »

After several scope failures I switched to a Leupold shotgun scope a couple years ago and it's still working fine.

Actually, for hunting purposes I find the multiple reticules are more confusing than helpful under the stress of trying to make an accurate shot on a live deer. The single aiming point sighted in at 25 yards allows me to hold dead-on the "center of the kill zone" of a deer from 0-30 yards and still be assured of a fatal hit, and I limit shots to 30 yards and under for my deer hunting, anyway.

The multiple reticules are great for 3-D & targets where a mistake (such as using the 30 yard "pin" for a 40 yard shot) only means a slight embarrassment for the shooter, but for hunting I prefer the KISS sighting method. I'd have no reservations about purchasing Leupold if I were in the market for a crossbow scope.

BTW - a search for posts by moon shows 0 posts, could it be this member has been "banished from the Excalibur kingdom"????
wabi
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

just got an xb30, very well made , i like it real well, heavie yes but this scope looks like it can take a lickin
roly

Post by roly »

wabi wrote:

BTW - a search for posts by moon shows 0 posts, could it be this member has been "banished from the Excalibur kingdom"????
I think he is on Crossbow Nation
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

It may well have been Crossbow Nation or Crossbow Magazine. Sorry about that everyone.
In the Wind.......
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

I also have the xb30 on my vortex. Love it, very clear, nice at dawn and dusk! The lighted circular rings are awesome, you can adj the brightness or turn them off completely. Heavy, no worse than a good gun scope!
My 2 cents
Bill
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Dash

Post by Dash »

I saw moons comments on crossbow nation. I was looking forward to this leupold crossbow scope. But after moons findings I wouldn't have the confidence to get one yet. It would be good to hear a few different peoples points of view on this one.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

the hawke is the way to go!!!!