Packaged Zombie Slayers box opening review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Packaged Zombie Slayers box opening review

Post by janesy »

With all the hoopla about Zombie slayers these days I grabbed a box at 20% off from EastHill Outdoors for fathers day. Easthill was awesome and in no way should this reflect on them. They cut 3 of the 6 down to 15" for me. The service is great there.

But the arrows... all of the orange vanes are glued on tight, the yellow vanes seem to be missing half of the glue. In fact two of the arrow, the yellow vanes are only glued on one side, the other is not even in contact with the shaft.
The three inserts that Luke at Easthill removed and replaced into the arrows he cut are centered and glued perfectly, the three factory inserts in the stock 18" are considerably sloppier.

For a premium arrow, I am disappointed.I plan to refletch them all now. My suggestion is to buy them from a reputable arrow builder referenced on this site, not the commercially available boxed Zombies. Or build your own.

Your mileage may vary. Not slamming anyone here, just maybe be more selective on the arrows inside the box before you walk out the door.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Packaged Zombie Slayers box opening review

Post by Hunt it »

As always, mass produced stuff is lacking in quality from time to time . Making your own or as you suggested buying from members - great sources right here. Easthill is great, I get all my stuff from them as well. Making your own if you have the time is not rocket science. With $50.00-$75.00 investment in fletching tool and few other items you are off to the races. If in Canada Mr. Boo sells the raw shafts (vanes and inserts included) and Don will cut them if you ask. In USA, Jerry or Danny can fix you up with shafts as well I believe.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Yep definitely the route to go. I just want to post my finding so that readers could see there is a concernable difference between qualities. With all the discussion of zombie slayers, a new reader could easily grab a box of any brand off the shelf and get inferior results to what is often mentioned here. They'll work great once I get some time into them :D
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Interesting.Yours must have been made by the new guy at BE.I also recently purchased a box of Zombies at Easthill on sale.After reading your post I rechecked them.All appear to have vanes glued properly and are in complete contact with the shafts.The inserts also appear perfectly centered.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Luck of the draw I guess... and that's my luck as usual lol.

I should clarify, the inserts are centered, and there is no wobble. There just seems to be a bit more adhesive spilled out. Not nearly as bad as the diabloss and quills. It scrapped off clean, no worried there.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

on my custom GT arrows I felt it was insert /arrow not cut square..Found out later it was my old 1996 Spitfire points not square I was blaming the insert sq thing....Who would think points were not sq but company said they made boo boo back then on some of points ..

On my GT lasers for some reason vanes in white had a little green in them only thing I can figure they left the green vanes touch the white and it bled over..I have tried everything to get green out of white no good so far...

I like bright white on my arrows [vanes] old school fred bear that said you can see white go into side of Buck....
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

sproulman wrote:
I like bright white on my arrows [vanes] old school fred bear that said you can see white go into side of Buck....
I used to like white fletchings until one morning in the dark a guy with white fletchings hiked past my stand. All I could see was the white fletchings moving around in the dark. Thought to myself that perhaps white was not so good an idea. Kind of like the toilet paper story we've all heard. Now I use anything but white.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

That's too bad. A couple friends of mine picked up three boxes, which I had to cut down to 18" for their matrix bows. All three boxes were fine, not as good as mine, but fine. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Hunt it wrote:
sproulman wrote:
I used to like white fletchings until one morning in the dark a guy with white fletchings hiked past my stand. All I could see was the white fletchings moving around in the dark. Thought to myself that perhaps white was not so good an idea. Kind of like the toilet paper story we've all heard. Now I use anything but white.
Back in 60s we had our Cedar arrows painted all white then put Turkey feathers as vanes ..You could see arrow going in Buck and find it fairly easy in brush on missed shot ..I still have my books from Fred Bear/Chuck Adams from 60s ..They something hunting Rhinos etc with Cedar arrows and Griz too....
Hunt it

Re: Packaged Zombie Slayers box opening reviewed

Post by Hunt it »

Yes Fred was the man. I'm a traditional shooter as well and have watched all the old bear movies and read all the books. We use all white shafts when hog hunting in dark with trad stuff. Hard to explain it but they fly where your looking in the dark, switch to shaft you can't see and they always hit low in dark. Can't explain it but Dr. Ed Ashby told us about it and sure enough he was correct. Only time I'll use white as there is no one else around for miles.
sproulman

Re: Packaged Zombie Slayers box opening reviewed

Post by sproulman »

Hunt it wrote:Yes Fred was the man. I'm a traditional shooter as well and have watched all the old bear movies and read all the books. We use all white shafts when hog hunting in dark with trad stuff. Hard to explain it but they fly where your looking in the dark, switch to shaft you can't see and they always hit low in dark. Can't explain it but Dr. Ed Ashby told us about it and sure enough he was correct. Only time I'll use white as there is no one else around for miles.
I was out shooting the micro today at 30 yards and I sat there and said How the heck did we ever shoot a cedar arrow into a 1 inch mark with recurve bow with bent arrows is beyond me..

I feel it was good eyes, health ,confidence ,good bows and learning to shoot instinctive and lots of practice ..Now I shoot crossbow rubbing my eyes to focus ,can hardly lift it tired arms ,scope and very straight carbon arrows etc....

Still is unreal how good we were with bows back in 60s that sit on wall now and you look up and say, boy was this something ... :D
Normous

Post by Normous »

Well said Sproul.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hunt it

Post by Hunt it »

They were indeed great times in the archery world. The legends like Fred and Wil Compton, Glenn St. Charles and Howard Hill sure lived and hunted at a great time. Even though thier style of flinging arrows was crude at best they accomplished many great hunts. Some wild adventures, Howard was the craziest of the bunch. Did you ever see the photos of him using a live native in a cage for bait in the river hunting crocs!? Wouldn't want to try repeating that one today :shock: