Just wondering......

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stumpjumper

Just wondering......

Post by Stumpjumper »

Hello All!! new guy here but not new LOL!!! hahahaha! anyways this forum rocks!! lots of info and great reading...

I have a question can a Guy use a 16.5" instead of a 18" bolt shooting it out of my Grizzly? as long as it is over the 350 grain mark

thanks guys just got tired of reading lol

cheers
XB I GO

Re: Just wondering......

Post by XB I GO »

I think you can use whatever size you want as long as it is minimum weight limit or more. The shorter bolts don't stick out in the stirrup so you risk putting a hole in your foot if you are forgetful. FWIW the longer bolts are much more accurate in my Axiom that has about the same FPS as the Grizzly. Why would you want short ones?
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

XB I GO wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:56 pm
I think you can use whatever size you want as long as it is minimum weight limit or more. The shorter bolts don't stick out in the stirrup so you risk putting a hole in your foot if you are forgetful. FWIW the longer bolts are much more accurate in my Axiom that has about the same FPS as the Grizzly. Why would you want short ones?
XB is spot on with his reply.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper »

was just a question is all..... 8) and now its answered :)
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Longer arrows are theoretically more accurate because the fletching can stabilize it quicker and with a little less force. But they flex a bit more too and my experience is that the shorter arrows penetrate better. My vortex and micro 335 are pretty much equivalent power wise. But the micro put a 16” arrow completely through a bison. The vortex never got the whole arrow through. Got the BH sticking out the far side but nit the whole deal. Not that it means much
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Xbow gave good advise I almost put a bolt/broad-head through my own foot decocking and having a senior moment and not removing the blot first. :oops:
Now bolt length is always with my preferred broad head just to the far side of the frame of the stirrup with out sticking past the stirrup so i can lean the bow up rite but not get my foot in the stirrup with out hitting the bolt, that is the length I recommend for everyone, may be different for every shooter depends on the rail length and the head you shoot.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I thought maybe someone gave you a bunch of bolts or you only found 16" at the store. Both good reasons to use them! I don't entirely agree with Mr. nchunterkw. I do respect his opinion and he probably has more experience than me. The spine of the arrow dictates the flexibility. It is possible for a shorter, lower spine arrow to flex more than a longer, stiffer spine arrow. In a regular bow I use 25" 500's. My brother has 28" 340's (and he is using even less draw weight). His arrows penetrate more than mine do on targets and either one goes right through a deer. Arrow weight also makes a difference, and FOC does too. To get weight or greater FOC you might use a longer bolt and it should give more penetration that lighter, less FOC. Advertisements tell us that a thinner arrow will penetrate more than a thicker one because of friction. I don't know if that's true. For shooting animals, you'd have to shoot the same exact spot with the same exact everything to prove one bolt will always go through and the other won't. We shoot a lot of stuff and sometimes the arrow or bolt goes right through. Other times I think the shot is in the same spot as the last animal and the arrow or bolt didn't exit. You really should try different bolts with your bow to see what is most accurate and you can check penetration a number of ways. Sometimes different bolts will hit the same spot up close but when you get to 30 yards or more they are hitting a lot different, so that is something to check too. Sight in with what you like best and keep using those. If you change bolts, sight-in again to be sure where they hit.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

gerald strine wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:02 pm
Xbow gave good advise I almost put a bolt/broad-head through my own foot decocking and having a senior moment and not removing the blot first. :oops:
Now bolt length is always with my preferred broad head just to the far side of the frame of the stirrup with out sticking past the stirrup so i can lean the bow up rite but not get my foot in the stirrup with out hitting the bolt, that is the length I recommend for everyone, may be different for every shooter depends on the rail length and the head you shoot.
Very good advice :thumbup:

Dave :clap:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

XB I GO wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 am
I thought maybe someone gave you a bunch of bolts or you only found 16" at the store. Both good reasons to use them! I don't entirely agree with Mr. nchunterkw. I do respect his opinion and he probably has more experience than me. The spine of the arrow dictates the flexibility. It is possible for a shorter, lower spine arrow to flex more than a longer, stiffer spine arrow. In a regular bow I use 25" 500's. My brother has 28" 340's (and he is using even less draw weight). His arrows penetrate more than mine do on targets and either one goes right through a deer. Arrow weight also makes a difference, and FOC does too. To get weight or greater FOC you might use a longer bolt and it should give more penetration that lighter, less FOC. Advertisements tell us that a thinner arrow will penetrate more than a thicker one because of friction. I don't know if that's true. For shooting animals, you'd have to shoot the same exact spot with the same exact everything to prove one bolt will always go through and the other won't. We shoot a lot of stuff and sometimes the arrow or bolt goes right through. Other times I think the shot is in the same spot as the last animal and the arrow or bolt didn't exit. You really should try different bolts with your bow to see what is most accurate and you can check penetration a number of ways. Sometimes different bolts will hit the same spot up close but when you get to 30 yards or more they are hitting a lot different, so that is something to check too. Sight in with what you like best and keep using those. If you change bolts, sight-in again to be sure where they hit.
Good reply XB. I can tell you are thinking and trying to understand. The more you do the better for you. You are right, spine determines flexibility. In my argument above I was assuming the same shaft (spine) but at different lengths. In that case the shorter arrow will deflect less than a longer one. Think about taking one of your 25" arrows and holding it in your hands and flexing it. Now cut it in half and try to flex it the same amount. It will take MUCH more force. So you can reason that a shorter arrow coming out of the same bow (same force) will flex less. But you are right on with your thinking about weight and FOC. FOC helps penetration by moving the point ofnbalance forward. An arrow flexes at teh point of balance when it hits a target. The shorter the distance from the end of the arrow to the point of balance..the harder it will be to flex. Less flex at impact means less drag while going through the animal, which means better penetration. Heavier arrows penetrate better because they have more MOMENTUM than a light arrow. You might like this article. If you have questions, just let me know.

https://www.grizzlystik.com/Ashby-On-Momentum-Kinetic-Energy-Arrow-Penetration-W19.aspx
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Wow thanks for that. Very interesting stuff!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

XB I GO wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:45 pm
Wow thanks for that. Very interesting stuff!
Hahha! Glad you like it. Arrow flight is a very complex subject, the more you know the better. Remember that Ashby is pretty much talking about everything as it relates to putting arrows through Asian Buffalo. So to do all he says is overkill on deer, but the concepts all apply.

Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to help. Should be some good info for your school work tooo :lol:
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><