The Horizontal Zone

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

The Horizontal Zone

Post by Boo »

Crossbow Magazine has commissioned someone I know (Mike Lobus) to run a blog. Mike is well versed on a lot of products (he buys and sells bows like Jeff). He's a real gearhead! He has or has had almost all the toys! He is very opinionated and most times entertaining (when he's not beating me up!). Any ways, give Mike a chance, visit his blog once in a while to see what's up in the crossbow industry. Feel free to lay an honest comment, he can take it!

https://thehorizontalzone.net/
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Re: The Horizontal Zone

Post by janesy »

Book marked it earlier. Going to definately stop in
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I read it agree with alot of what he said. I have been hunting with a crossbow for many years but have never been so disgusted as recently with these ads like for ravin. Its like ha we got into your bow season so now we're gonna rub your noses in it. I'm starting to agree with what the vertical bow shooters are saying which I never expected to say !!
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I looked at it and put some comments but every time I submit them I get a message that says suspected Bot. Then I wrote the whole thing over again and same thing. I give up on the comment. I hope that site gets the bugs worked out so the comments don't do that.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Great read!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Great read! i like his style already.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I still cant get the "Comments" to work....
vaXbow

Post by vaXbow »

Folks the comment section is working. You just have to register and go in. There are comments already there. Stay tuned, I’m writing one tonight you Excal folks just might like!
The Horizontal Zone
[email protected]
SEW

Post by SEW »

I think Mike made valid points. The numbers game is really being played by the manufacturers. More, not less, of the manufacturers are using unrealistic arrow weights for their speed ratings. Nitro XRT, Nemesis 480, KI with SWAT but then changed to 400g arrow even though 350g is ok, other well known brands, etc..
So, the end user needs to use restraint but shouldn’t the manufacturers also use restraint? They have the most to loose. They all had the most to loose with the Ravin ads. Ravin didn’t loose.
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

I just read the blog will say this- speed sells vertical bows so I am not suprised x-bow companies are using the same marketing strategy to obtain their share of the pie. I did go onto the Ravin website to read their ads. They compare their x-bow to a rifle in terms of 100 yard accuracy; but leave out an important comparison in terms of down range energy. For me that's like saying the Honda 600 atv is like your car; because it too will go 65 miles per hour. Just not a good comparison if you ask me. Yes both the x-bow and rifle have their place in the field but I would never use my x-bow during rifle season or rifle during bow season. Honestly, I have nothing negative to say about a compound style x-bow; I won't ever buy one because they are not for me. I held onto my vertical bows because I thought Missouri may reverse x-bow usage during bow season after a couple of years. Now I am selling them as I don't see them doing so as the deer population does not seem to be affected from the inclusion of x-bows.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

PublicLandHunter1 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:15 pm
I just read the blog will say this- speed sells vertical bows so I am not suprised x-bow companies are using the same marketing strategy to obtain their share of the pie. I did go onto the Ravin website to read their ads. They compare their x-bow to a rifle in terms of 100 yard accuracy; but leave out an important comparison in terms of down range energy. For me that's like saying the Honda 600 atv is like your car; because it too will go 65 miles per hour. Just not a good comparison if you ask me. Yes both the x-bow and rifle have their place in the field but I would never use my x-bow during rifle season or rifle during bow season. Honestly, I have nothing negative to say about a compound style x-bow; I won't ever buy one because they are not for me. I held onto my vertical bows because I thought Missouri may reverse x-bow usage during bow season after a couple of years. Now I am selling them as I don't see them doing so as the deer population does not seem to be affected from the inclusion of x-bows.
Very well said :eusa-clap:

Dave :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
SEW

Post by SEW »

100 yard hunting is complicated by trajectory factors but not by energy remaining. 1 - 1 1/2 yard range error will cause a miss of the vital area . That combined with a best case of 1” -2” 100 yard group off the bench in no wind but likely, depending, a larger grouping in field conditions which will likely involve some wind all resulting in fairly large errors at 100 yards. However, energy remaining @ 100 yards - between 75-80% of launch energy. Just not much is lost . With virtually all crossbows launching arrows with over 100’-lbs of energy, at least 75’-lbs will remain at 100 yards. Enough for anything walking around in the US/Canada I’d hunt with a xbow.
SEW

Post by SEW »

100 yard hunting is complicated by trajectory factors but not by energy remaining. 1 - 1 1/2 yard range error will cause a miss of the vital area . That combined with a best case of 1” -2” 100 yard group off the bench in no wind but likely, depending, a larger grouping in field conditions which will likely involve some wind all resulting in fairly large errors at 100 yards. However, energy remaining @ 100 yards - between 75-80% of launch energy. Just not much is lost . With virtually all crossbows launching arrows with over 100’-lbs of energy, at least 75’-lbs will remain at 100 yards. Enough for anything walking around in the US/Canada I’d hunt with a xbow.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I pride myself on getting real close to my prey before I launch the arrow. Also I'm a lousy long range shooter so close is better for me.. Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I suck at getting close and shooting long distance. lol

Having hunted out west in the plains the past 5 years I can see why some would like to shoot farther but as said there may be enough energy but many other things can go wrong. My buddies in Kansas shoot their compounds well out to 100 yards in practice and can hit softball size dot pretty much every shot maybe they should call their bows their next rifle but that wouldn't be for the eight audience I guess .

As far as excal I selfishly liked it better when it was a small Canadian company making simple bows with great service. I must admit though when I couldn't shoot a legit 200 inch deer in Kentucky because I couldn't shoot around the tree with my boat anchor I jumped on the micro band wagon. It seems I had over 20 years of trouble free hunting with my boat anchor until I couldn't shoot that one deer. I have had my micro for 4 years and have had nothing but issues with it .This fall I got out the boat anchor to carry as a back up and it was dead on after just a couple minor adjustments. I am seriously thinking of just lugging the boat anchor again.