"Heavy" Arrows from Black Eagle?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bcxbow

Re: "Heavy" Arrows from Black Eagle?

Post by Bcxbow »

PublicLandHunter1 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:34 pm
Rather than go heavier how about smaller (thicker) diameter. May not need a 14gpi bolt but maybe a 11gpi micro diameter to get the same penetration of the heavier one. I was looking at Victory Archery's website and noticed their crossbow bolt the Voo Doo. It features a small diameter and thicker shaft. I did not see a flat nock so I called to inquire but the line was busy. I never got the chance to call them back; I will Monday and may try them if they have that option. I used micro diameter arrows with my compound, they penetrated great. A micro FMJ would be hard to beat for thick gamed animals. I shot 22 inch FMJ out of my 405 and they went deeper into my target than my 20 inch Zombies. I would like the micro bolt option for xbows from Black Eagle as well.

Smaller diameter shafts will penetrate better in targets but not neccassarily in flesh because when flesh is cut it has no memory and doesn’t try to grab the shaft with friction as a block target does. IMO weight prevails every time vs shaft diameter in hide and flesh when the cutting diameter of the broadhead is larger than the shaft.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Smaller diameter means more chance of a dry fire as there’s less nock for the string to catch! Just my thought
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Built some 450gr arrows for my upcoming hog hunt in March! :)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

PublicLandHunter1 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:34 pm
Rather than go heavier how about smaller (thicker) diameter. May not need a 14gpi bolt but maybe a 11gpi micro diameter to get the same penetration of the heavier one. I was looking at Victory Archery's website and noticed their crossbow bolt the Voo Doo. It features a small diameter and thicker shaft. I did not see a flat nock so I called to inquire but the line was busy. I never got the chance to call them back; I will Monday and may try them if they have that option. I used micro diameter arrows with my compound, they penetrated great. A micro FMJ would be hard to beat for thick gamed animals. I shot 22 inch FMJ out of my 405 and they went deeper into my target than my 20 inch Zombies. I would like the micro bolt option for xbows from Black Eagle as well.
You are thinking along the right path in that less friction will result in better penetration. But you have to worry about the shaft diameter and the crossbow rail. As someone said, if the diameter is too small, the arrow will sit too low in the rail and the string won't contact the center of the nock. That could result in a partial dry fire.

This same concept is behind the RamCat BH, where the scoops in the ferrule help push tissue and blood etc away from the shaft as it goes through thus reducing friction.

But you are seeing the direct results of more arrow momentum that is derived by weight in your own targets. FMJs are 14GPI and Zombies are 9.1GPI, so those FMJs are definitely heavier....and therefore getting better penetration. But again, as Billy said, target penetration and animal penetration are 2 different things. I subscribe to the thinking of Dr Ed Ashby on arrow penetration. Here is a good article on it.

https://www.grizzlystik.com/Ashby-On-Momentum-Kinetic-Energy-Arrow-Penetration-W19.aspx
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><