Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: 440

Post by Boo »

Limb tips has been a non issue for quite a while now. Loops that are too large was very common with Flemish strings and if it's too big, it will damage the tip. The only thing you can do is get a better quality string.
The 405 has a limb forward riser, the BD has a swept back riser and the 440 will have a straight limb riser. The reinforcement of the limbs in the limb pocket stiffens the limbs and produces more power.
Derrick, I don't think you'll have a big issue cocking the bow with a rope cocker but I don't think you'll want to do it 10 times in a row. You should check out the Charger. It's really slick! I think it's going to be much more safe to cock the bow in a stand with the cocker as opposed to using a rope cocker. In a climber, the Charger is a godsend.
Jeff, you need one! You too Paul! The 2 guys who couldn't leave their 405s alone! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

The race to turn a crossbow into a rifle pretty sad !
Boo

Post by Boo »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:30 am
At no time has Excalibur made rifle references like Ravin has. The race for faster bows is a result of what the buying public is demanding. It is counter intuitive for bow manufacturers to produce faster bows. They'd certainly spend less money in all directions if they kept their speeds at a conservative level. But then Excalibur does offer bows in the low 300 ft\sec range don't they? Does Ravin?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Although I agree with the statement in general. I think what's different and what I took from scrutinizing the 440 will be its ability to easily launch heavy arrows with tremendous force.
Speed sells, so obviously they name it for its speed. But it's hitting power was pretty impressive.
Not that there aren't other bows moving arrows as fast, there were plenty. But that doesn't mean you could just toss a 450-500 grain arrow in there and go to town with them. Couple clicks of the scope with a recurve and your done.
The 440 was an impressive tool that's for sure.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
As said at no time have i ever in my 23 yrs of ownin n shootin Excals has there been a marketin that Excals were any thing like a rifle. Speed/fps you can add some arrow weight n bring the 440 on down to fps you think are right fer you. Put a 500 gr arrow on cha ching 390 fps area n a power house thumper
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

The problem is there is a lot of push back now from some states on the new technology in crossbows and its getting hard to argue with it. Some states are now looking at reducing their crossbow season, making a separate crossbow season or moving it back to rifle !! I hunt with a crossbow because I have to to stay in the bow season because of injury. I am not a rifle hunter. I have a bunch of friends that got crossbows because they were told it was like shooting a rifle they were surprised that it wasn't and went back to rifle. Now with these faster and faster bows better scopes etc etc its getting harder to argue what season they should be in !!
Boonechaser

Post by Boonechaser »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:11 am
The problem is there is a lot of push back now from some states on the new technology in crossbows and its getting hard to argue with it. Some states are now looking at reducing their crossbow season, making a separate crossbow season or moving it back to rifle !! I hunt with a crossbow because I have to to stay in the bow season because of injury. I am not a rifle hunter. I have a bunch of friends that got crossbows because they were told it was like shooting a rifle they were surprised that it wasn't and went back to rifle. Now with these faster and faster bows better scopes etc etc its getting harder to argue what season they should be in !!

If it’s getting harder to argue, you’re just falling into there beliefs. Only benefit of a faster bow is a flatter trajectory and KE. Which adds up to more accuracy and ethical kills, which we should all aim for. Average Joe is not out here shooting 60+ yards at a live animal and probably even less target practice, that far.

I like pushing the envelope with all my weapons and have a custom Muzzleloader that will hold half MOA at 800yds. ( my furthest shot at my range) even though the gun can (and me under perfect conditions) over my 40yrs of hunting my average shot has been under 50yds with no matter what weapon I use. My longest was with a single shot 357 Maximum at 235yds. Now I am in the Midwest and open shots are limited but I can see where the flatter trajectory would benefit a fellow in the plain states. Most weapons will outshoot the weakest link, the trigger man...

What’s funny is, this is exactly like the traditional shooters complained about compound hunters, 40yrs ago. Now the compound guys think they’re the traditionalist...

As hunters, we should stand against the “anti” crowd and support any and all legal means to hunt!
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Boonechaser wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 am
Timbrhuntr wrote:

If it’s getting harder to argue, you’re just falling into there beliefs. Only benefit of a faster bow is a flatter trajectory and KE. Which adds up to more accuracy and ethical kills, which we should all aim for. Average Joe is not out here shooting 60+ yards at a live animal and probably even less target practice, that far.

I like pushing the envelope with all my weapons and have a custom Muzzleloader that will hold half MOA at 800yds. ( my furthest shot at my range) even though the gun can (and me under perfect conditions) over my 40yrs of hunting my average shot has been under 50yds with no matter what weapon I use. My longest was with a single shot 357 Maximum at 235yds. Now I am in the Midwest and open shots are limited but I can see where the flatter trajectory would benefit a fellow in the plain states. Most weapons will outshoot the weakest link, the trigger man...

What’s funny is, this is exactly like the traditional shooters complained about compound hunters, 40yrs ago. Now the compound guys think they’re the traditionalist...

As hunters, we should stand against the “anti” crowd and support any and all legal means to hunt!
I think Timberhuntr got a point here. "Average Joe" that makes political decisions is far less interested and educated in crossbow hunting than any "Average Joe" crossbow hunting, being on this forum or not. Looks, impressions, speculations and misinformation often influence political decisions, regardless if they come from politicians themselves or voting base.
And "we as hunters" are minority big time.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Boo wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 am
Limb tips has been a non issue for quite a while now. Loops that are too large was very common with Flemish strings and if it's too big, it will damage the tip. The only thing you can do is get a better quality string.
The 405 has a limb forward riser, the BD has a swept back riser and the 440 will have a straight limb riser. The reinforcement of the limbs in the limb pocket stiffens the limbs and produces more power.
Derrick, I don't think you'll have a big issue cocking the bow with a rope cocker but I don't think you'll want to do it 10 times in a row. You should check out the Charger. It's really slick! I think it's going to be much more safe to cock the bow in a stand with the cocker as opposed to using a rope cocker. In a climber, the Charger is a godsend.
Jeff, you need one! You too Paul! The 2 guys who couldn't leave their 405s alone! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don, I don't think baiting is allowed....or necessary! :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boonechaser

Post by Boonechaser »

Fazan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:49 am
Boonechaser wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 am
Timbrhuntr wrote:

I think Timberhuntr got a point here. "Average Joe" that makes political decisions is far less interested and educated in crossbow hunting than any "Average Joe" crossbow hunting, being on this forum or not. Looks, impressions, speculations and misinformation often influence political decisions, regardless if they come from politicians themselves or voting base.
And "we as hunters" are minority big time.
That maybe in Canada but here lobbying paves the way! Insurance companies will always keep pressure on politicians by lining their pockets in favor of decimating deer, elk or any other animal that cost them money by jumping into oncoming traffic. Signs of the times here point in the direction of longer seasons, and more advanced weapons and there’s no end to it in sight. In my neck of the woods, Longer seasons, rifles being legalized in many states that have been shotgun only. Crossbows legal all season for all people, not just the handicap and we’re able to take 8 doe in the county that I hunt.
Politicians that are bought and paid for along with the DNR have left any conservation up to the hunter. If it were up to them, we could wipe every animal off the planet...
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Two major differences in Canada:
1. There are not so many deer around here (I guess we were more efficient hunters here than you guys down south 😆)
2. Insurance companies here still take big bucks from Average Joe (like we have elephants on the roads, never mind deer), but don't spend much of that money on anything but themselves.