We’ve got a great Venison recipe for you… Venison and Mushroom Pie! This ain’t your grandma’s Apple Pie.
1 lbs venison, cut into 2″ cubes salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 medium onions, diced
2 tsp chopped garlic
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1 lbs wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cup dark lager beer
2 cups of venison or beef stock
1 lbs frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg beaten
2 tbsp. milk
1. Season venison with salt and pepper
2. Add 2 tsp oil to a large heavy bottom pot over medium high heat and heat until just smoking. Add venison and cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned all over. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Return pot to heat and reduce to medium and add onion, garlic and herbs and cook for 3 minutes or until browned. Add mushrooms, cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes or until juicy. Add remaining 2 tbsp oil to pan and stir in flour to coat mushrooms. Add beer and then the stock, stiring each time so that the paste is incorporated into the liquid. Return venison to the pot, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 1 hour or until the venison is tender and sauce is thick.
4. Preheat oven to 375F
5. Divide puff pastry into 2 pieces. Roll out to make a top and bottom crust to fit a 9 inch pie shell.
6. Beat together beaten egg and milk to make an egg wash. Fill pie shell with the venison mixture, brush the edges with the egg wash. Top with remaining pastry and press to seal edges. Cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Brush top with more egg wash and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.